Mother Teresa and money

How should a Catholic respond to the allegations that 1) Mother Teresa took money from Charles Keating of the Lincoln Savings and Loan that belonged to other people and said that he was a great friend of the poor, 2) she jetted around on Charles Keating’s plane, and 3) she flattered the Duvaliers of Haiti?

i dont see what she did wrong here??

I would first ask for the specifics of what wrong she allegedly did, then ask for documentation and an opportunity to study it before responding.

I would first ask for the source. There’s this crackpot journalist who has a special hatred for Mother Theresa and he prints all of these exceptionally venomous things about her, many of which have been proven to be untrue. Unfortunately, I can’t think of his name, but I would recognize it if I saw it.

Christopher Hitchens?

Yes, the article that I found online, which my father must of heard of, was written by Christopher Hitchens. Here’s a link to his article: [/font]I have tried to find something or someone online for the truth, but I have been unable to find anything from a Catholic source. Does anyone know where I could find the truth?

Thank you so much for your help!:slight_smile:

This character persists in trying to blacken Mother Theresa’s name with innuendo, but as far as I know he has never lifted one dying child out of a third-world gutter or washed, fed and bathed one needy stranger.

As far as it goes, that is all that needs to be said.
Here from the article is his real motive.

Why is it never mentioned that her stated motive for the work is that of proselytization for religious fundamentalism, for the most extreme interpretation of Catholic doctrine?

She defends catholicism. Most of the article is him gnashing his teeth that she is so looked-up to.

Next.

HITCHENS: The care facilities are grotesquely simple: rudimentary, unscientific, miles behind any modern conception of what medical science is supposed to do.

Does he offer to go and help? No he stays in the West living a luxurious lifestyle. These people kill me.

her praising the Albanian dictator Enver Hoxha. There is also film of her groveling to the Duvaliers: licking the feet of the rich instead of washing the feet of the poor.

The hypocrisy is breathtaking. “instead” of washing the feet of the poor"!!! That is the main thing she is known for!

As for taking donations from people Mr Hitchens doesn’t like. He would rather that the poor suffer and die than that Mother Theresa accept money from people the state of whose soul she was not in position to judge, but who the West was dealing with, and then LATEr decried.

The same goes for his demand that she “repay” donations made by Keating. Strangely he doesn’t demand that the big Corporations who received money from Keating “repay” it. He knows what answer he would get. But he wants the poor and starving of the 3rd world to do without their food and medicines so that money can be given “back” to the multi-millionnaire corporate underwriters of New York!

I am going to try to be charitable about MR.Hitchens:nope: He needs prayers big time he has spouted down right EVIL things off about Mother Teresa on Scarborough Country including accusing her of necrophilia:tsktsk: :nope: I put as much credence in him as I do in Jack Chick:mad: That is all I can say because I tend to lose charity with him and I do not want to get in trouble:nope:

There is nothing anyone can say that could smear the reputation of Mother Teresa. Her life’s work speaks for itself. IF anyone wants an accurate accessment of her life all you need to do is to ask the poor folks of Calcutta what they think of her.

We were all blessed to be witness to a living saint. She spoke at my kids high school a few years back for a commencement (prior to my sons time there). Her whole life has been an inspiration to millions.

For some nutcase to come out mud slinging only makes them look more foolish. Folks who put out such rubbish don’t have a clue. All you have to ask is, how many folks did they lift out of the gutter ? Odds are the answer is a big fat ZERO, which far exceeds their IQ.

I, of course, agree with everything posted before me regarding the despicable Mr. Hitchins, but, if one reads the interview carefully, one gets a fascinating insight to the thinking of humanists and athiests. This is most valuable.
Of course, the emotions have to be kept in check, but to read the ridicule they heap on us (James, 1:2), and their “astute” observations of religions and the religious gives a valuable lesson we should all learn.
THIS IS THE ENEMY! Not necessarily personally, but their cultural attitude about abortion, population control, euthanasia, embryonic stem cells, etc, etc, gives us the insight we need to counter their views. And, believe me, their views are more popular than ours, especially in Europe, in the liberal elites in our own country and MOST especially in the UN.
The same careful reading illustrates their absolute ignorance of the essence of Christianity, especially Catholic Christianity. This, too, is valuable. Use their ignorance against them.
Remember, Hitchins is one of the elites of the religion of secular humanism, so his thinking represents the mainstream of that philosophy. I can’t wait to investigate that website!
Forget the spit in the face to Moither Teresa and her work. She wouldn’t care; their blathering is insignificant. What’s important is what we can learn from this.
Then, Lisa4Catholics, we can get down to praying for him.

[quote=Strider]I, of course, agree with everything posted before me regarding the despicable Mr. Hitchins, but, if one reads the interview carefully, one gets a fascinating insight to the thinking of humanists and athiests. This is most valuable.
Of course, the emotions have to be kept in check, but to read the ridicule they heap on us (James, 1:2), and their “astute” observations of religions and the religious gives a valuable lesson we should all learn.
THIS IS THE ENEMY! Not necessarily personally, but their cultural attitude about abortion, population control, euthanasia, embryonic stem cells, etc, etc, gives us the insight we need to counter their views. And, believe me, their views are more popular than ours, especially in Europe, in the liberal elites in our own country and MOST especially in the UN.
The same careful reading illustrates their absolute ignorance of the essence of Christianity, especially Catholic Christianity. This, too, is valuable. Use their ignorance against them.
Remember, Hitchins is one of the elites of the religion of secular humanism, so his thinking represents the mainstream of that philosophy. I can’t wait to investigate that website!
Forget the spit in the face to Moither Teresa and her work. She wouldn’t care; their blathering is insignificant. What’s important is what we can learn from this.
Then, Lisa4Catholics, we can get down to praying for him.
[/quote]

Lets do it strider:)

[quote=Lisa4Catholics]he has spouted down right EVIL things off about Mother Teresa on Scarborough Country including accusing her of necrophilia
[/quote]

What the #%&???

[quote=John_Henry]What the #%&???
[/quote]

He needs prayers his sense of reality is way off base.:nope:

Mr. Hutchins is IMO a prime example of what happens when a person makes his or her own before the Lord. Mr. Hutchins’ god is “secular humanism”. It is not surprising that his idolatry has led him astray. Probably he would complain that God, and particularly the Second Person of the Trinity, Jesus Christ Himself, didn’t do “enough” for the poor either.

[quote=heatherbenda]Here’s a link to his article: [](“http://www.secularhumanism.org/library/fi/hitchens_16_4.html”)
[/quote]

It is an act of purest audacity to label this thinly-veiled character assassination an “interview”. Its saving grace, however, lies in its ineffectuality; it amounts to little more than yellow journalism at its most abhorrent, a work so slanderous and devoid of substance as to be self-indicting. As such it is unworthy of the attention of the faithful, for those who seek truth are acutely aware that the life of this humble servant of God is beyond reproach.

I must say that I was amused, however, that the author took the time to begin with a joke:

“It also gives a very telling account by a leading journalist into the U.S. media’s great reluctance to criticize religion and religious leaders.” (emphasis added)

[quote=heatherbenda]How should a Catholic respond to the allegations that 1) Mother Teresa took money from Charles Keating of the Lincoln Savings and Loan that belonged to other people and said that he was a great friend of the poor, 2) she jetted around on Charles Keating’s plane, and 3) she flattered the Duvaliers of Haiti?
[/quote]

I would tell them to call Newsweek. The main stream media missed this one.

closed #17

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.