Mother Walks After Post Natal Abortion (Infantcide)

Okay so this story is a month old, so I hope you bare with me. I did a search at CA and couldn’t find it and thought it was apros pos in the wake of Casey Anthony, Amanda Knox and the like.

Shock: No jail time for woman who strangled newborn because Canada accepts abortion, says judge

by Patrick B. Craine

EDMONTON, Alberta, September 12, 2011 (LifeSiteNews.com) – An Alberta judge has let a woman who strangled her newborn son walk free by arguing that Canada’s absence of a law on abortion signals that Canadians “sympathize” with the mother.
“We live in a country where there is no protection for children in the womb right up until birth and now this judge has extended the protection for the perpetrator rather than the victim, even though the child is born and as such should be protected by the court,” said Jim Hughes, national president of Campaign Life Coalition.

Katrina Effert of Wetaskiwin, Alberta gave birth secretly in her parents’ downstairs bathroom on April 13, 2005, and then later strangled the newborn and threw his body over a fence. She was 19 at the time.
She has been found guilty of second-degree murder by two juries, but both times the judgment was thrown out by the appeals court. In May, the Alberta Court of Appeal overturned her 2009 murder conviction and replaced it with the lesser charge of infanticide.

Story @ LifeSiteNews.com

You would think the outrage over this would be deafening, but it’s virtually silent. Even the whackjob, liberal, feminists are quiet on this one. I can only hope this judge gets drummed off the bench and disgraced.

And from CBC: Infanticide conviction nets Alberta woman suspended sentence

im sick to be canadian…worse judge in the world…give the child to the hospital…this is not abortion, she gave birth to a breathing person and killed it…this is murder, i hate baby killers…she may have escaped justice on earth but may god come down hard on her actions when she faces him in heaven!

There is a thought out there that women who murder their babies before the age of a year are not in their right minds and that’s why ‘infanticide’ doesn’t carry the same penalties as ‘murder’. Regardless of that judge’s comments, I doubt that it has much to do with our lack of abortion law. Canada is not the only country with the crime of ‘infanticide’ on its books.

From the Criminal Code of Canada

Infanticide **
233.** A female person commits infanticide when by a willful act or omission she causes the death of her newly-born child, if at the time of the act or omission she is not fully recovered from the effects of giving birth to the child and by reason thereof or of the effect of lactation consequent on the birth of the child her mind is then disturbed. R.S., c. C-34, s. 216.
Punishment for infanticide
237. Every female person who commits infanticide is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years. R.S., c. C-34, s. 220

In contrast, being found guilty of ‘murder’ is an automatic life sentence. Depending on the degree, one can apply for parole after 10 - 25 years.

Infanticide should carry the same penalty as murder, if not greater. We have hate crime legislation to protect “vulnerable” groups with harsher penalties. The potential of a mother of not being in a “right frame of mind” shouldn’t reduce the penalty to a mere tiny fraction to that of murder. Infanticide, especially neonaticide, is often a response to an unwanted birth. Why the dichotomy with infanticide? I’m truly ashamed to be Canadian. :frowning:

As much as I gave birth while married and happy to be having a baby, my mind in the immediate post-partum period was not ‘normal’. Loss of blood, hormonal changes, etc. contributed to some less that normal responses and actions. None, of course, had to do with the way I related to my children but I can easily understand a woman making a terrible decision at that time while not fully comprehending the implications.

England, Wales and Ireland have essentially the same wording in their infanticide laws and rare is the mother who is incarcerated for killing her newborn or a child under the age of 1. Their infanticide laws are 90 years old so date back to long before legalized abortion.

She deserves life without parole in a gulag. murdering your own baby is one of the most heinous crimes anyone can do.

Unfortunately, there is a strong correlation between incidents of infanticide and whether the children being desired or not. This indicates that the act of infanticide is more about personal desire rather than biochemical disbalance.

Sarcasm mode in case I’m misunderstood. Obviously the slippery slope fallacy is real. Legalising abortion in no way has any influence on infanticide.
Sarcasm mode off.

Cue legalisation of pedophilia pretty soon. This is already in the works.

Brave new world folks. Enjoy.

I’m afraid it’s way past slippery slope my friend. It’s a sheer wet ice wall now.

The fact that she had the baby alone in a bathroom instead of availing herself of Alberta’s top notch, free medical services indicates pre-meditation long before there was any loss of blood.

It is a cold blooded thing that she did by any stretch. The judge is half right here too. Abortion has made us all monsters now.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.