Mother won’t be charged with baby’s death because of law loophole

A loophole in state law is preventing Campbell County investigators from charging a woman they say killed her newborn baby.

Deputies were called to a home in the 1200 block of Lone Jack Road in Rustburg around 11:00a.m. Friday. The caller said a woman in her early 20s was in labor. When deputies arrived, they discovered the baby had actually been born around 1:00a.m., about ten hours earlier. Investigators say the baby was already dead when deputies got there.

Investigators tell WSLS the baby’s airway was still blocked. They say the baby was under bedding and had been suffocated by her mother. Investigators say because the mother and baby were still connected by the umbilical cord and placenta, state law does not consider the baby to be a separate life. Therefore, the mother cannot be charged.

www2.wsls.com/sls/news/local/lynchburg/article/mother_wont_be_charged_with_babys_death_because_of_law_loophole/68659/

“in the state of virginia as long as the umbilical cord is attached and the placenta is still in the mother, if the baby comes out alive the mother can do whatever she wants to with that baby to kill it.“, says investigator tracy emerson. “she could shoot the baby, stab the baby. As long as it’s still attached to her in some form by umbilical cord or something it’s no crime in the state of virginia."

what is wrong with us? :(

Indeed. This is just sick. When, I ask will we ever learn?

[quote="sanctareparata, post:2, topic:180178"]
what is wrong with us? :(

[/quote]

Everything! :( Excuse me while I puke.

I've thought 3rd trimester abortions were illegal unless they were done for the life of the mother. Does this vary state by state or something?

Apparently the umbilical cord will remain attached for up to three days if you leave it alone. Therefore, in Virginia, a new mother could do a three-day trial period. If, at the end of the three days, she decides she doesn’t like it, she can “abort” the 3-day-old infant’s life. Awesome.

..............:mad:

There are no words....

This is not the first time something like this has happened in Virginia.

They've try to rewrite the law but legislators don't want to do anything about it because the pro-aborts think it will outlaw late-term abortions in Virginia.

:eek: I can’t believe what I just read :eek:

I'd have to make up a new language to find words strong enough for the absurdity here.

See, even "absurdity" seems downright tame.

First, under Roe v Wade and Doe v Bolton, abortion was made legal throughout all nine months of pregnancy. States were allowed to prohibit abortion in the 3rd trimester only if there was an exception for the mother’s health.

Under Doe v Bolton, a mother’s health was defined so expansively (mental health, family matters, etc.) that no abortion was prohibited, because “health” meant whatever an abortionist wanted it to mean.

In Kansas the State law actually prohibited abortion after viability, unless continuation would cause irreversible harm to a “major bodily function” of the mother. That law didn’t stop one abortion. Courts ruled that mental health was a major bodily function, and determination of health remained up to the woman and the doc (i.e., the abortionist.)

Congress eventually passed–on the 3rd try–a prohibition on partial birth abortion. That only prohibits one type of late term abortion. The current administration would like to see it reversed.

Since 1973, the nation has taught its citizens that an unborn child’s life is pretty much worthless. Is it any wonder that some women are taking the message to heart?

:eek: I am shocked … and I thought the law could not get any worse … :eek:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.