Motion banning booze from European Union

Motion banning booze from European Union passes in Nunavut legislature

ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100316/national/eu_booze_ban?printer=1

By Chinta Puxley, The Canadian Press–

IQALUIT, Nunavut - French wine and British beer may no longer be stocked by Nunavut’s government-run liquor stores since a motion banning European booze has passed in the legislature.

Nunavut’s cabinet ministers abstained from the vote last week and Premier Eva Aariak said it could violate world trade agreements, but the motion still passed 9-0. The man who spearheaded the motion - in retaliation for an EU ban on seal products - says he expects it will be enforced this summer when the territory orders its next alcohol shipment.

This is not a big deal as far as I can see, and I’m wondering what it has to do with Catholic morals and doctrine.

There are plenty of wines and beers available in North and South America. :shrug:

One of my favorite belgian-style ale companies is in Quebec, and my favorite wine is from Argentina (Malbec). :thumbsup:

If one wears leather shoes,belts,jackets etc and are occasionally carniverous,that precludes one from commenting on Canada’s seal hunt.That would include 99.99999% of the members of the EU.

Obviously the move is entirely symbolic.

“This is not a big deal as far as I can see, and I’m wondering what it has to do with Catholic morals and doctrine”.
Why should it have to?This is the secular news section.

I say good for them.:thumbsup:

Considering that Nunavut is very sparsely populated, it won’t make too much of a difference, and I can’t say I’m a real big fan of tit-for-tat protectionism. I’m not sure if it runs completely afoul of WTO regulations (as the European ban on seals most definitely does) as it only means they won’t sell it in their own liquor stores. You can still have european liquor, you’ll just have to get it somewhere other than the government run liquor stores.

Catholic Answers Forums > Forums  > In The News  > Secular News

Secular has nothing to do with Catholic morals or doctrine, per se :slight_smile:

“This is not a big deal as far as I can see, and I’m wondering what it has to do with Catholic morals and doctrine”

-Ahem-

-Chefs Call Proposed New York Salt Ban ‘Absurd’

-Weaponizing Mozart

-We’re so good at medical studies that most of them are wrong

-Troopers raid popular bars for unlicensed beers

-All dogs (in England & Wales) could be insured under dangerous breeds plans

And these qualify under your restrictive definition of secular(but not REALLY secular)news?:cool:

Haha…point well taken. However, they aren’t my rules…I guess they aren’t enforced though. :cool:

We don't even hunt whitecoats anymore due to the faint of heart in Europe.Strange though that Spain is still allowed to tease,taunt and torture bulls to death for the ENTERTAINMENT of hundreds of thousands in order to prove some guy's machismo(even though he's dressed like a pixie)

Actually, I quoted the forum rules directly, so it is what the moderators call for. Again, apparently it isn’t enforced, so break the rules at will! :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow, banned in None of It! I’ll bet this will bring those French vintners and those German breweries to their knees! By the way, where is None of It again"

Beautiful Nunavut! :slight_smile:

MLA Fred Schell, who represents South Baffin, admits that the measure is largely symbolic, and that it won’t make any economic difference to the countries of the EU. He is hoping that it will get their attention, and move them to take action, quicker than moving through formal channels.

BTW, I think this thread is loosely connected to a Catholic teaching WRT the proper treatment of animals and when it is acceptable to kill them. The EU took its action on behalf of the animal welfare activists who are opposed to the seal hunt. Many residents of Nunavut believe that hunting seal is vital to their economy.

Without the seal hunt (and bear hunts too), there is no Nunavut economy, only welfare.

No fine imported French wines either, but mostly things like solvents and airplane glue.

The dignity of humans ought to have some place in Catholic teachign too, one might think.

Thanks for the tie-in, Dale. :thumbsup:

Where is the Catholic teaching about “when it is acceptable” to kill animals (i.e. food, clothing, etc.). Has the Church spoken out about the killing of seals? What is it about seals that sets them apart?

Well, the Catechism has a brief mention, although it doesn’t spell out specifics.

"2417 God entrusted animals to the stewardship of those whom he created in his own image.197 Hence it is legitimate to use animals for food and clothing. They may be domesticated to help man in his work and leisure. Medical and scientific experimentation on animals is a morally acceptable practice if it remains within reasonable limits and contributes to caring for or saving human lives.

2418 It is contrary to human dignity to cause animals to suffer or die needlessly. It is likewise unworthy to spend money on them that should as a priority go to the relief of human misery. One can love animals; one should not direct to them the affection due only to persons. "
vatican.va/archive/catechism/p3s2c2a7.htm

I would be mildly surprised if the Church specifically mentioned seals, but I’ve been surprised in the past.

I think the animal welfare concerns of some people are motivated by the perceived cuteness of seals. This is much like the outcry against thinning of deer populations in urban and suburban areas - many people are upset about killing Bambi.

On the other hand, some concern is expressed that the method of killing the seals, clubbing, is unnecessarily cruel.

Thanks Dale - that’s what I was looking for. I don’t think the Church would necessarily have a problem with the clubbing of seals. I know that some people would see it as “unnecessarily cruel,” but they are probably wearing and eating animal items that were killed in similar fashions.

If the person doing the clubbing brings about a quick death of the seal, it is a humane method. It just looks bad to those who are squeamish about any killing of animals. Again, most people are willing to eat their cellophane wrapped food and/or put on their articles of clothing, as long as they don’t know how they got there. :stuck_out_tongue:

The seal clubbing issue was exclusively a Greenpeace propaganda invention. Seal populations were never endangered, and the clubbing is as efficient as any killing method can be. Seal were cute though, and it touches peoples hearts.

Northern communities are, on the other hand, left devastated. The dignity of work is replaced with the indignity of welfare.

Because they don’t look like spiders or earthworms.They have big puppy eyes and they’re cute and the folk who anthropormorphise these critters get their panties in a knot at the idea of killing them for food and fur.I haven’t seen Bridget Bardot,Pamela Anderson(She’s an American now thank God)anf Paul Mccartney protesting at the slaughterhouse or the worm farms lately.

If you like eating cod,kill a seal,we’ve got millions of them and no cod as that’s what they dine on.

Seals are no longer clubbed,they are shot.A much more dangerous method of dispatching the animal both for seals and sealers.Clubbing is much more efficient,deadly and humane.

Why the sarcasm?Does it make you feel somehow superior?

Tunngasugitti - welcome to
the Government of Nunavut
Nunavut – “our land” in the Inuktitut language - has been home to Inuit for millennia and part of Canada for more than a century. Embracing both traditional knowledge and values and the new opportunities presented by technologies like the Internet, the Government of Nunavut now provides a wide range of services tailored to the unique needs of approximately 29,500 residents.

Facts About Nunavut
Read about our people and culture, wildlife, official symbols, background about Nunavut Land Claim, and much more.

Legislative Assembly of Nunavut
Look up MLA contact information, read up on Acts and regulations, Throne Speech, Hansard, status of Bills and more.

Nunavut Business Information
Nunavut is a place of great economic growth. Read the latest Requests for Proposals about the Inuit/Northern Preference and information about Starting a Business.

2007 Western Premiers’ Conference
July 4 to 6, 2007 Iqaluit Nunavut

Development of Suicide Prevention Strategy
Discussion Paper Released to Engage Nunavummiut on Development of Suicide Prevention Strategy

10th Anniversary Nunavut!

Council of the Federation Literacy Award

Commissioner’s Arts Award

G7 Conference

Call us toll free: 1-877-212-6438

email address: info@gov.nu.ca

Government of Nunavut Phone Directory

Nunavut became Canada’s third Territory on April 1, 1999
Area of Nunavut: 1,994,000 sq km (Canada is 9,970,610 sq km, Greenland is 2,175,600 sq km)
1999 population was about 27,500, 21,00 of who were Inuit.
Population per square kilometre in the Nunavut area is 0.01 (Canada is 2.9, Germany 220)
The capital is Iqaluit
Iqaluit is at 64°, Rankin Inlet 63° and Grise Fiord 77°

You DO know where Canada is right?It’s that gigantic country to your North.Nunavut covers approximately40% of the Canadian Arctic.Why don’t you get a map or google it?Or is it just too darn much fun mocking it.?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.