Mountain of Virtue

In one of the Books of Wisdom, which I am rereading, I saw a verse that said: "mountain of virtue."

I cannot recall which book and certainly, which verse.

I have tried to find it, but cannot.

Any HELP?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would also like to know the Greek and or Hebrew.

THANKS!

Jim - What translation were you using? The only possibility I can find is Wisdom 9:8.

Fidelis

I am reading and rereading the BOOKS of Wisdom.

It is one of the Books of Wisdom.

I just do not know which Book.

I am using the New American from the 1970s.

SORRY & THANKS!!!

For the New American Bible, are there online concordances?

Any help?

I don’t know of any on-line NAB concordances.

I have an NAB app on my iPhone on which I can to a key-word search. It gave me all the verses in the Old Testament with “mountain” and “virtue” in them, but none with the combination “mountain of virtue” or even anything that came close. I’m not sure what edition I have on my phone, but it’s probably not the 1970’s version.

I did a quick web search and found the expression in the NAB’s Psalm 30:8.

"LORD, you showed me favor,
established for me mountains of virtue."
usccb.org/bible/psalms/30

Hope that helps.

Good job! Definitely depends on the translation you are using. My iPhone version of Psalm 30:8 from Olive Tree says:

“Lord, when you showed me favor I stood like the mighty mountains…”

The RSV-CE has it as Psalm 30, verse 7, and it renders it thus:

By thy favor, O LORD, thou hadst established me as a strong mountain…

It seems most other translations also render it as Psalm 30:7, and have varying translations:

Bible Suite: Psalm 30:7

The NAB seems to be unique in this regard.

You guys are absolute saints!!!

THANKS!!!

I better not forget it this time!!!

My NAB says “I stood like the mighty mountains.” Ps. 30.8

I am fairly sure that the actual wording was mountain of virtue.

I am fairly sure that it is in the Books of Wisdom.

THANKS!

The Bible on the USCCB’s website is the 2011 NABRE. The verse numbering appears to be consistent with the Vulgate and my guess is that the NAB’s translation is a quirky mix of the Hebrew and the Vulgate’s “Domine in voluntate tua praestitisti decori meo virtutem.”

The reason for the different verse numberings is that the title and dedication are counted as a first verse all by themselves in the Vulgate and the Hebrew.

Any further help?

QND…

Is this the basic idea of the translation: O Lord, in your favor, your strength to my beauty.

That's the idea. The DRA renders it, "O Lord, in thy favour, thou gavest strength virtutem] to my beauty." My guess was that the Vulgate gave the NAB translators the idea to use the word virtue.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.