Mourning and weeping

Salvete!

In the Salve Regina we have: To thee do we send forth our sighs, Mourning and weeping in this vale of tears.

I know this is not from the Catechism or any church document but I still ask: is the Church saying that we are sad deep in our hearts? Is it even sadness on a psychological level as well? What does this mean?

the “Vale of Tears” is from the latin “valle lacrimarum”, which is St Jerome’s translation of a term in psalm 84:6, translated to English in the RSV-CE as the “Valley of Ba’ca”. I believe that is often translated as Valley of the Weepers.

It is the traditional term to describe the troubles of human life. Not that we are sad in our human hearts, but that life is often difficult, not easy.

Psalm 84:5-6 'Blessed are the men whose strength is in thee, in whose hear are the highways to Zion. As the go through the Valley of Ba’ca they make it a place of springs; the early rain also covers it with pools".

This post is a walk-off home run right over the center field wall.

-Tim-

:clapping:

Does that mean he hit the nail on the head or he is miles off?

Thanks, there is a reason why I know this. Once a priest said in a homily that because the Catholic faith should be joyful, the Salve Regina prayer was not proper. One has to do a little research when one hears something like that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.