MOVIE: "Atonement"

I just finished reading the book Atonement by Ian McEwan, and all I can say is Wow. It was an amazing book. I was tragic but beautiful. And the prose was flawless.
I heard about the book after seeing the trailer for the movie adaptation thats coming out in December. It’s supposed to be a major Oscar contender. I can’t wait to see if it does justice to this masterpiece of literature. I don’t usually call a book a masterpiece easily, it has to be really amazing for me to call it that.
I highly recomend this book though.

I was just wondering if anyone has seen this movie yet? Unfortunately for me it’s not playing in my city yet, so i haven’t seen it.
I loved the book, it’s a favorite of mine, so I’m hoping the movie is just as good.
So if anyone has seen it please share your thoughts.

I haven’t seen it, but I want to. Have not read the book, though. I don’t think it’s in wide release yet, which, if they have plenty of financial backing, I don’t understand. Unless they want to time it’s release around the Oscars or something. I understand why Bella isn’t in every theater, but this is a major studio production, right? I just saw that The Atonement received a lot of Golden Globe nominations. I have to say I was disappointed that Bella didn’t. Not surprised, just disappointed. I’m looking forward to seeing The Atonement, though.

Sorry about posting twice in a row… I saw posters of this movie, & really wanted to see it. Now, I just saw a trailer, & I REALLY want to see it. It looks so good. I just noticed that Joe Wright directed it, & he also directed Pride & Prejudice, which I love. I really like period pieces, especially British ones…

One of the reasons I’m so exited about this movie is because of joe Wright. I thought he did a brilliant job with Pride and Prejudice, which is my favorite book.

Oh, I agree. I really enjoyed listening to his director’s commentary on the dvd. I have to admit that I did not read the book until after seeing the movie. I loved the movie so much I finally broke down & read it. Kind of backwards, but I wind up doing that a lot . Now I’m getting the book for my daughter for Christmas. Knowing me, I’ll probably read Atonement after seeing the movie.

I think it’s better to read a book after seeing the movie. I’ve been really disapointed by movies before because I read the book first.

Atonement finally started here, so I was able to see it tonight. I loved it. It really followed the movie well.
The book is my all time favorite, so I was pleased that they did a good job with the movie.

I saw this movie yesterday. I was amazed by it. I think that both James McAvoy and Keira Knightley, as well as the little girl who played Bryoni should win Oscars. I loved this movie so much. All I can say is when you see this movie, bring tissues. Seeing this movie, I felt the same way I felt seeing “Les Miserables”. You will never be the same. Something changes within you in good way.

You might also try Amsterdam, but watch out for Saturday. I understand it’s not up to his normal standard. He sure can write!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.