Movie for Boys ages 11-13 question

Hello!
Two of my sons are working on a boy scout badge and one requirement is to have them watch a movie where one person or a group of people come together and help the community. I am at a loss…I can’t come up with one! I would love one that would sneak some faith topics in under the radar as well:)
Anyone have any suggestions?:stuck_out_tongue:

Kim

"Pay it Forward" might work, that one where the boy does something good for 3 people & asks each of them to do something good to 3 people in return. You'd want to watch it first because I'm not sure how suitable it is for 11 yr olds.
OR
"Accidental Hero" that one where Dustin Hoffman rescues people from a plane wreck and then the homeless guy claims the reward because Dustin won't and the homeless guy starts giving all the reward money away.
OR
"To Kill a Mocking Bird"

This must be for the Citizenship in the Community merit badge.

Some movies I've seen recommended (though I haven't watched all of them and therefore can't vouch for them), in no particular order:

[LIST]
*] Follow Me, Boys
*][FONT=arial][size=2]It's A Wonderful Life -- [/size][/FONT][FONT=arial][size=2] shows what a community would be like with and without one person[/size][/FONT]
*][FONT=arial][size=2] Mr. Holland's Opus [/size][/FONT]
*][FONT=arial][size=2]A Bug's Life [/size][/FONT]
*][FONT=arial][size=2] Cool Hand Luke (for older boys) [/size][/FONT]
*][FONT=arial][size=2]To Kill a Mockingbird [/size][/FONT]
*][FONT=arial][size=2] Inherit the Wind [/size][/FONT]
*][FONT=arial][size=2] The Right Stuff [/size][/FONT]
*][FONT=arial][size=2] Ghandi [/size][/FONT]
*][FONT=arial][size=2] A Civil Action [/size][/FONT]
*][FONT=arial][size=2] Regarding Henry [/size][/FONT]
*]The [FONT=arial][size=2]Magnificent Seven -- for the way they taught the village to defend itself. [/size][/FONT]
*][FONT=arial][size=2] The Bridge Over the River Kwai -- for how Col Nicholson gave the prisoners pride and a goal. [/size][/FONT]
*][FONT=arial][size=2]October Sky -- for challenges to be overcome in the nuclear family and in the community[/size][/FONT]
*][FONT=arial][size=2] The Great Escape -- for how the prisoners worked together to accomplish a goal for the community. [/size][/FONT]
*][FONT=arial][size=2] Erin Brockovich [/size][/FONT]
*][FONT=arial][size=2] Going My Way [/size][/FONT]
*][FONT=arial][size=2]Remember the Titans [/size][/FONT]
*][FONT=arial][size=2] City Slickers -- pay attention to Billy Crystal's character, what he learned from Curly, and how he affected the others afterwards[/size][/FONT]
*][FONT=arial][size=2] The Five People You Meet in Heaven[/size][/FONT]
[/LIST]

How about The Alamo?

Also Remember the Titans, Hoosiers, The Blind Side (it's almost football season so sports movies just seemed to pop into my mind).

I recommend the Passion of the Christ on the following premise: One person saves humanity by demonstrating the way (always being patient, kind, and motivated by God, even in the face of unjust hatred) to the greatest peace, happiness, and energy.

Facing the Giants might appeal to your boys, especially if they’re into sports.

Both Ghandi and the Passion are much to violent for 11 year olds. Ghandi includes a number of very graphic scenes from the various Hindu/Muslim riots with scenes of people and children being hacked to death.

Inherit the Wind really ends up mocking religion and the Bible. Cool Hand Luke? I guess I just don't recall where the prisoners "come together and help the community." Maybe this is just a "failure to 'cummicate."

This might be stretching it, but Remember the Titans helped smooth integration in Virginia during the Civil Rights movement.

Saving Grace (1986)
It's an older film, but I remember watching it at a youth group meeting. It's about a newly elected pope who get's locked out of the Vatican and winds up at a poor Italian village. Very nice life lesson in the movie if I recall.

[quote="Erich, post:3, topic:250959"]
This must be for the Citizenship in the Community merit badge.

[/quote]

You are right!!!!
Thank-you!
Kim

"Mother Teresa" with Olivia Hussey.

Although for boys 11-13, they might like "Glory."

Cool Hand Luke? I don't think so

the Mission with Robert DiNiro and Jeremy Irons

[quote="Tarpeian_Rock, post:8, topic:250959"]
Inherit the Wind really ends up mocking religion and the Bible. Cool Hand Luke? I guess I just don't recall where the prisoners "come together and help the community." Maybe this is just a "failure to 'cummicate."

[/quote]

Luke leads the work crew in a seemingly impossible effort to complete a road-paving job in a single day, in defiance of convention and expectations.

[quote="Erich, post:14, topic:250959"]
Luke leads the work crew in a seemingly impossible effort to complete a road-paving job in a single day, in defiance of convention and expectations.

[/quote]

Speaking of work crews, Cars is a good example of "people" coming together. I don't know if a cartoon would fly with the scouts but it's an enjoyable movie for kids that age. My boys loved watching it again when they hit pre-teen age - they got so many more of the jokes then when they were little.

"Glory Road" (like "Remember the Titans" only it's about basketball)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.