MOVIE: Noah

scotlandry.tumblr.com/post/79399499464/8-reasons-for-catholics-to-see-the-upcoming-noah-movie?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Gives 8 reasons why Catholics should see the movie.

I especially liked this reason:

(7) The movie makes a strong pro-life stand. At one of its most pivotal moments, the movie is powerfully pro-life. Without giving the story away, a character faces a choice to eliminate innocent, defenseless human life or to choose to protect and defend it. I hope that those who consider themselves “pro-choice” will see that scene and be open to a change in their views. Unborn girls and boys are vulnerable, voiceless and innocent too.

catholicnewsagency.com/column.php?n=2841

Good review that emphasizes the responsibilities thrust upon Noah.

Watching the movie, I was reminded of my several personal observations with Mother Teresa of Calcutta and her spiritual journey in helping poor and suffering people throughout the world. Mother Teresa was chosen by God to do big things. Her burden, like Noah’s, was not light. She once said, “I know God will not give me anything I can’t handle. I just wish He didn’t trust me so much.” Her example brought out the best in us. She gave meaning to another Biblical phrase, “yes we are our brother’s keeper.” So many great stories and things people do are rooted in the Bible, which can be turned into a blockbuster movie like “Noah.”

Aronofsky is a secular Jew, not a Christian, and he (as Paramount has clarified) has taken some artistic license with the story (he adds the Watchers from the Book of Enoch, for example) but aside from that, kept to the spirit of the story. Non-vegetarians may also dislike the movie, since Noah and his family are vegetarian and sort of environmentalists, so there’s THAT to worry about.

Willing to give it a chance. If I do not like it I will post it here afterwards. Just wanted to link the reviews here from fellow Catholics.

Take of them what you will.

Thanks.

Thank you.

The previews have intrigued me.

As long as Noah breaks out in song and sings “there’s a flood coming”! I might see it.

Right now not sure if I’ll see it.

I wanted to see this but the trailer somewhat put me off, it’s all the packaging that Hollywood puts in.

I need to wait until some people here have seen it first as there were a lot of bad reviews from Christians in America too.

I saw the trailer last week and it has caused me to more interested in the movie than I was before. Like you I would like to see what others on here have to say about it.

DGB

I like Russell Crowe, so I’m intrigued, but my lack of trust in Hollywood to present the story well will probably keep me away from the theater. I might see it on Netflix.

:rotfl::bounce::extrahappy:

Good post.

LOL.

I agree with you.

Probably will be a “not for everybody” thing.

Yep.

What I’m more concerned with is the opposite of what most Christian’s problems are with the movie (a director taking artistic license with Noah), but rather it seems from the trailers Aronofsky sold out and went full Hollywood instead of some creatively abstract, ephemeral, heavily symbolic, and dreamlike feature with a unique powerful score which he is best at making.

It looks like Gladiator except…with Noah.

From the OP:

The movie makes a strong pro-life stand. At one of its most pivotal moments, the movie is powerfully pro-life. Without giving the story away, a character faces a choice to eliminate innocent, defenseless human life or to choose to protect and defend it. I hope that those who consider themselves “pro-choice” will see that scene and be open to a change in their views. Unborn girls and boys are vulnerable, voiceless and innocent too.

A story about how God chose to drown every single innocent, defenseless baby on the face of the Earth is also “powerfully pro-life”? :whacky:

LOL!!! That sounds nuts if you think about it.

Strange isn’t it…how people will see precisely what they want to see? Thankfully, it is most likely based on the epic of Gilgamesh; another myth by an ancient civilization.

Can I get any feedback as to whether or not this Ida good movie from the Christian perspective? Thanks,
mlz

As it was created by Hollywood in the 21st century it is probably not a good film for us although I haven’t seen anything other than the trailer.

Does that mean that an adult who likes to drink alcohol cannot tell their children not to drink alcohol?

Sister Rose Pacatte who is FSP director of the Pauline Center for Media Studies in Culver City, CA with an MEd in Media Studies from the University of London (UK) and a Certificate in Pastoral Communications from the Unviersity of Dayton. Her primary work is media literacy education for parents and teachers within the context of culture, education and faith formation. She loves movies and is the Film/TV columnist for St. Anthony Messenger Magazine, the National Catholic Reporter, Sr. Rose Goes to the Movies at RCL/Benziger and at Reel Spirituality. You can also find film and media education articles at Pauline Center for Media Studies.
patheos.com/blogs/sisterrosemovies/about/

Here is her review
There is no doubt that Darren Aronofsky’s epic “Noah” draws from post-apocalyptic images and gives a nod to science fiction and the popular vampire genre to tell the story of Noah, the grandson of Methuselah.

And Aronofsky has done his Bible-storytelling homework. The entire narrative has the feel of an oral storytelling culture, with the use of repetitive “chiastic” or “ring” structure so hearers will remember. The film begins with the creation story in images, then over and over, Noah tells his family about the Creator and the six-day creation story that includes the first temptation, the fall, and the role of the devil in bringing paradise to an end. Sin is alive and well in Aronofsky’s “Noah.”

As a child, Noah (Dakota Goyo) witnesses the death of his father, Lamech (Marton Csokas), by a band of marauders looking for food in a barren landscape. The earth has been consumed. As a man, Noah (Russell Crowe), his wife, Naameh (Jennifer Connelly), and their two sons, Shem (Douglas Booth) and Ham (Logan Lerman) — young Japheth (Leo McHugh Carroll) comes along later — live in isolation to survive the decadence and violence of human behavior.

In dreams, Noah believes the Creator is telling him a flood is coming that will cleanse the earth and bring new life. He makes a journey to see his grandfather, Methuselah (Anthony Hopkins), and verify the Creator’s mandate. Noah and Shem come across a young girl, Ila (Emma Watson), who has been left for dead by her people. They bring her into their family and heal her severe injuries. It seems she will never be able to bear children.

In the wasteland, trees begin to grow, providing the wood needed. The fearsome Watchers (mythic creatures, half human and half heavenly, called Nephilim in Genesis) decide to help Noah and his family build the ark, the vessel where the innocent creatures will abide until the waters subside.

When a horde of people, led by the king, Tubal-cain (Ray Winstone), arrive demanding a place on the ark, Noah and Naameh have a conversation about what they would do to save their family, even killing if necessary. But Noah is a peaceful man, and the idea of killing any creature is abhorrent to him. But he admits that if he must, he will kill to defend his loved ones.

As the ark nears completion, the animals begin to arrive. First the birds, then snakes. Naameh burns an herbal sedative that causes the animals to fall asleep for the duration of the journey.

Then the rain begins.

“Noah” is not the typical robe-and-sandal Bible film we have become used to. Aronofsky has broken open the story of Noah (Genesis 5:29-9:29) and … CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE READING AT NCRONLINE

patheos.com/blogs/sisterr…l-bible-movie/

I have not seen the movie myself yet but I do prefer to make my own mind up about things.

I disliked this movie. It had the slant that was advertised, actually ever more than I expected.

I understand the creative liberties, after all it is a relatively short passage in the bible. But there are too many outlandish ideas and a very bizarre subtext.

I am mixed between recommending it so that we can show the world the importance of the Christian audience and not recommending it because I actually not only found it to be very inaccurate but also just … how to say … weird?

Some liberties are actually contrary to what is in the OT. I won’t spoil anything and will remain silent after this.

^ This!

I saw three posters in the cinema: Noah, Pompeii and another similar-looking film which I can’t remember! All of the posters looked exactly the same! :eek: Don’t really know what to make of it…

Saw the movie yesterday and liked it.:popcorn: I didn’t feel it insulted any of my religious beliefs.

We really don’t know what kind of world it was before the Deluge so maybe they did have some advanced devices, knew how to knit, use buttons, put together a nice waredrobe (love the textiles and visable stitching etc.), had some sort of exploding instruments and glowing coals.

Now the Messengers aka Nephilim (thank you Sr. Rose for that info) look more like our present day toy shop Transformers. I think they could have looked like ordinary angels. These angels were a depressed lot because, according to movie, they had pitied Adam and Eve after the Fall and got punished by God for interfering. God cast them into the earth making them into rock creatures. Along comes Noah and the assorted rock transformers decide to help him out by building the Ark. Okay, I can accept that. Maybe he did have help because that was a huge contract for one guy to fill.

Now Noah is a good guy and everyone else, descendants of Cain, is evil. He visits that camp and is totally shocked by their depravity coming away with the idea that even his own family probably harbors evil. He decides, after the Ark is adrift, that what God, aka The Creator, really wants is to end the era of humans so he declares that if his daughter-in-law gives birth to a male, that child can live to bury the family as they finish their natural lives. But if the child is a female, he, Noah, will kill it immediately. Guess how that ends.

Noah tells his adopted daughter, who believes she serves no purpose on this earth, that he first thought of her as a burden and then realized what a treasure she was to him and his family. At that point, Noah really does not know what God has in mind for her and is totally unaware of her destiny. I think the message here was that no child should be destroyed or feel unwanted. I think there’s a message against abortion in the movie.

Yes, Noah is an environmentalist and does not consume meat. However, they all have some really nice boots.

Good acting, great animation, missed the giraffes and bunnies. Will give you something to think about and you’ll probably go read about Noah in the Bible. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.