Movie reviews and moral content

Hello. What you can recommend me websites to find out about the moral content of movies?. I know the Catholic News Service, can you recommend others?. Thank you. God bless you.

Here is the site from the US Conference of Catholic Bishops. I am pretty sure the Bishops don't actually review the movies though. I think it is the laity who views the movies.

catholicnews.com/movies.htm

American Catholic also offers a similar review

americancatholic.org/movies/default.aspx

I hope this helps!

I found these websites that may be helpful or useful for someone to report on the moral content of movies.

1.- catholicnews.com/movies.htm

2.- decentfilms.com/

3.- movieguide.org/

4.- christianitytoday.com/ct/movies/

5.- parentpreviews.com/

6.- commonsensemedia.org/

7.- jesusfreakhideout.com/movies/default.asp

8.- kids-in-mind.com/

I look at :
- The Catholic site (Rates them from good to morally offensive): catholicnews.com/movies.htm
- Plugged In (Review with what is good and bad in the movie): pluggedin.com/
- IMDB (Not religious, but you can view the content advisory there): imdb.com/

Big fan of Common Sense Media.

I have very little regard for the USCCB reviewers. I have found both their moral guidance and their actual taste in movies to be questionable on several occasions. It’s a shame, too.

[quote="Boulder257, post:2, topic:253362"]
Here is the site from the US Conference of Catholic Bishops. I am pretty sure the Bishops don't actually review the movies though. I think it is the laity who views the movies.

[/quote]

Oddly enough, I think I heard that the bishops actually have other things to occupy their time other than watching movies all day. I wonder what that could be? :p

You're right, though. It's basically two laymen who do the USCCB movie reviews (and each review is not voted on by the bishops as a whole :p). It's a service offered by the USCCB. I find them fairly helpful even if I don't always agree with every single review. I think they take more flak than they deserve (based mostly on their unfortunate review of Brokeback Mountain). At the very least, they pretty clearly identify the potential areas of concern, which is basically what I'm looking for in their reviews. Whether they find a particular movie artistically moving or not really doesn't matter to me.

I do like decentfilms.com better, though, because I like Steve Greydanus' style and humor. In my experience, though, it seems like the USCCB reviews more of the movies that come out than Greydanus does.

[quote="Wowbagger, post:5, topic:253362"]

I have very little regard for the USCCB reviewers. I have found both their moral guidance and their actual taste in movies to be questionable on several occasions. It's a shame, too.

[/quote]

Definitely agree about USCCB. The most recent movies I have seen, like "Sarah's Key" (which is now in wide release) and the G-rated golf flick "Seven Days in Utopia," still aren't reviewed by USCCB - or, for that matter, by Decent Films.

There are more clean, decent, and quality films being made today, in 2011, than there have ever been before. Unfortunately, the established Catholic "movie review" sites simply don't review them (because they never got a screener copy) or because they can't be bothered to pay for the ticket themselves - which, for a matinee, is less than that morning latte. Consequently, nobody knows these movies exists, the movie tanks at the box office, and people think there are no good movies anymore.

:shrug:

[quote="Joe_5859, post:6, topic:253362"]
Oddly enough, I think I heard that the bishops actually have other things to occupy their time other than watching movies all day. I wonder what that could be? :p

[/quote]

Well, if you go by CAF, they obviously they spend their days reading mail from parishioners regarding real or imagined liturgical abuses. ;)

[quote="curlycool89, post:8, topic:253362"]
Well, if you go by CAF, they obviously they spend their days reading mail from parishioners regarding real or imagined liturgical abuses. ;)

[/quote]

And then they end everyday by tossing the mail into the fireplace and roasting marshmallows. ...Or so I've heard. :p

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.