MOVIE: "Six Sessions", independent film

Just watched this trailer on IMDB. The movies is called “The Sessions.”

It was the Sundance Festival Audience Award Winner for 2012.

I am just… speechless. :eek::frowning:

And the irony is-----it is allegedly based on a “true story!!” :eek:

(Actually, it is not totally surprising. In Sundance, it is not popular if it doesn’t involve controversy and “pushing the envelope,” particularly in sexual matters.):rolleyes:

Of course, the movie assumes that any self-respecting priest would OF COURSE do this. :shrug:

The Devil, Relativism, and Secularism have triumphed----once again. And I thought Million Dollar baby was “out there.” :shrug:

The movie is R-rated and the trailer does not show anything. No nudity or anything like that.
The trailer has been “approved for audiences.” So nothing sexual is shown. Just implied.

Sorry in advance if its message offends anybody. But…wow.

If the Church does not criticize this strongly…then may the prayers of the Mother of God have mercy on us and save us. Amen.

Notice that the priest does not commit the sin-----but he totally encourages it.
Even says “You did nothing wrong.”:mad:

Anyway---------------------it is the first of 10:

imdb.com/list/VL4US2x9jkE/#play-all

Comments, please. :frowning:

Utterly ridiculous.

Indeed, prayers to the Mother of God ARE in order!

Indeed. :o:thumbsup:

I don’t know what to say, so I’ll use icons to express my reaction to that garbage.

:eek::mad::banghead:

God help us.

:gopray:

Grow up!

Post directed to whom?

Looks like exactly the same movie as THEORY OF FLIGHT, 1998, with Helena Bonham Carter and Kenneth Branagh minus the priest.

I found THEORY moving and it had a message which was not sexual. Helena did an excellent job with the part.

Are you directing that comment to me, pray tell? :confused::confused:

Never saw it…may watch it on your recommendation, though.

“Six Sessions” is the actual title. Don’t mean to nitpick but just so people can be aware. I plan to avoid this movie. I wouldn’t doubt that I’ll hear about it from a liberal friend or two so it’s good to be forewarned.

Many people I know are doing the same thing. :):o

Oh Noooo! Jerry Lundegaard from “Fargo” is out of jail! :snowing: He’s as bad a priest as he was a husband, son-in-law, crook and car salesman! :juggle:

This premise is mighty thin … liberal priests hear confessions? H-why?

In the Hollywood rubric, instead of absolution:

“God, the Father of mercies, through the death and resurrection of his Son has reconciled the world to himself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins; through the ministry of the Church may God give you pardon and peace, and I absolve you from your sins in the name of th**e Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.”

there is a dubious dispensation: “I think He (God) is gonna give you a pass on this one.”

(This one … ) being illicit sex with a “surrogate” (“therapist” or whatever). :whistle:

Sympathetic audiences will want the paralyzed man to find whatever “love” he can - and as a byproduct justify the shady sex surrogate industry and feelgood moral desertion (for the best possible reasons of course). :crying:

It won’t seem like an attack of the Church, but it is. No true counsel, calls to heroism,
or care for the soul. Excused lust, misplaced sympathetic emotions, and a general
thesis of “THIS is how the Church should be …” pervades. :banghead:

It is soft anti-Catholicism on the outside, a shot put in a pillow case. An ever-more-popular genre these days. God help us (and THEM come to think of it) :frowning:

This.

Great analysis.

Indeed.

When does modern Hollywood ever portray a Priest orthodoxly? They always are portrayed as not following Catholic teaching

Not after 1980 or slightly before, I would say.:):slight_smile:

VERY GOOD!!:tiphat:

No interest in seeing this. The curch in the film is beautiful though.

Yes, it is, to be honest.

Helen Hunt also has always been “great to look” at, as well.

LOL. :p:p

Well, there was this little film called For Greater Glory, perhaps you have heard about it.

There is a scene where a priest is distributing Holy Communion, and he comes to Enrique Gorostieta, who is an atheist general, the leader of the Cristeros. Gorostieta requests the host, and the priest turns him down, “you should confess first.” Gorostieta persists, saying “won’t God understand anyway?” and the priest turns him down gently, “you really should confess.”

I won’t give away the rest of the film, but suffice it to say that this was a powerful moment in the spiritual journey of this character. I discussed it with my pastor afterward and he readily agreed.

Just after “I Confess” they decided they were making us look too good, so they needed a change.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.