Movie: The Sound of Music w/ a SPOILER

They just showed “The Sound of Music” on ABC. I had never seen it before. WHAT A MOVIE! The songs were the best I have heard of any movie ever. It is funny because I am somewhat familiar with most of them even though I haven’t seen the movie. Also, even though I am a guy I am a born sucker for a good love story, and this one had hands-down the best “finding out we love each other” scene I have ever seen, if you know what I mean. I will have to think things through but this may end up being my new favorite movie!

…Anyway, I know most of you have seen this at least once, but I just had to do a minor vent. And for the handful of you who haven’t seen this masterpiece: GO SEE IT ASAP!

The movie came out in 1965, so it is not possible that I remember its first screenings (I would have only been a year old), but I clearly remember going to see it as a young boy (maybe this was a Tenth-Anniversary reissue or something). And it was a really big deal.

We met up at the theater with my grandparents and my aunt (and her daughters) and a few other family members - about 15 of us in all. And everybody (not just us, but everybody) was dressed up in their "Sunday best." The theater was packed - every seat was sold. For a film in an ordinary local theater - not some grand movie palace. All of this was completely new to me - a movie was something that I went to with just my parents, in whatever clothes I had worn to school that day. There was a buzz of excitement that really raised my expectations (which were, initially, very low - I mean, c'mon - the name of the movie was The Sound of Music. How dumb is that?)

Alas, as a young boy, a lot of the movie was beyond my interests (and I may have dozed off for parts of it - it was rather late). I left the theater disappointed and bewildered at the praise that my older family were gushing with. I mean, there wasn't even a decent car chase (and I had no idea what an ignition coil was - if I had known, I might have realized (and appreciated) WHY there was no car chase).

Now, of course, I understand. I understand everything. I understand this is one of the great musicals of all time.

Hi all,
Yes indeed, The Sound of Music is a triumph. I could never tire of it. It is one of the highest-grossing movies ever made.
As the OP pointed out, its songs are so ingrained in popular culture that one simply takes it's classic status for granted.
God Bless,
Colmcille.

Hello RolyPoly. I had one heck of a time finding this thread this morning. I saw your post last night, and made a mental note to come back and answer it this morning, and then couldn't find it for quite a while!

I love the Sound of Music! Many people do not know that it was based on a true story written by none other than the Baroness Von Trapp. The movie is based on her book ------ with some Hollywood enhancements. . For instance, the eldest daughter was quoted as saying that they did not sing Edelweiss as in the movie. Though, Maria Von Trapp was most certainly in a convent in Austria, which still stands there today. Anyway, the Von Trapp family settled in the United States in the state of Vermont, and travelled around the country as a singing group after World War II. It is my understanding that they were quite successful. The Von Trapp compound is still in the state of Vermont, and is now a resort.

I do love the the I-love-you-too scene also, but my absolute favorite is when she walks through the ornate gates at the Cathedral as she is about to get married, and the nuns close the gate behind her. She looks back at them, and you know that the gates signify the life she thought God had in mind for her --- it also signifies the beginning of her new life. She then looks at the young woman who is to be her daughter, and you could see from Maria's demeanor, that she understands the seriouness of her new duties as wife and mother. She then walks with resolute purpose to the alter to her husband-to-be. As the camera follows her from above you see her walking with her bridal train behind her, and the scene is just beautiful visual commentary on Maria's Christian purity. I have more to say about this wonderful movie, but I will stop right here!

I would recommend that you find her book Trapp Family Singers. Her faith was very important to her. She also wrote another book called Maria . (This could be hard to find.) That book went deeper into her faith

They did change a lot for the movie. Time was crunched, She and the Baron had been married for a while with a couple of "their" children when the Nazis invaded Austria. In the book Maria you can hear what she thought of it. She didn't get any real money. She had sold the rights to her book to an Austrian (or German) movie company who made a nonmusical movie but then sold the rights to the American Company.

Yes, it is an excellent movie.

I am not usually into musicals; however, we did purchase a DVD of this one. We have watched it MANY times and haven't got bored with it yet.

My favorite part is when the children bring music back into the house. The father is very stern, sends Maria away, and shortly afterward relents because he his moved by the children singing. To me, that is the climax of the movie. A small change of emotion made the difference between becoming a changed person, or remaining a harsh martinet and probably estranging the people around him too.

That's my two cents.

If the Baron was really such a martinet in life as in the movie, I stand amazed that all those kids turned out as well as the film depicts.
I like it but do not care for the part where the Baroness tells Maria that
Von Trapp is entranced by that blue dress and then Maria just happens to wear it at the party. Just a little too worldly manipulative by a novice nun for me.
But I'm probably the only one who sees that................;)

[quote="David2010, post:6, topic:223916"]
Yes, it is an excellent movie.

I am not usually into musicals; however, we did purchase a DVD of this one. We have watched it MANY times and haven't got bored with it yet.

My favorite part is when the children bring music back into the house. The father is very stern, sends Maria away, and shortly afterward relents because he his moved by the children singing. To me, that is the climax of the movie. A small change of emotion made the difference between becoming a changed person, or remaining a harsh martinet and probably estranging the people around him too.

That's my two cents.

[/quote]

That was one of my favorites as well. When his face melts and then he starts singing along and goes to hug his children... it doesn't get any better than that. I am not prone to crying, but I really wanted to cry at that part. Plus that song "the hills are alive" is so very beautiful.

[quote="catsrus, post:7, topic:223916"]
If the Baron was really such a martinet in life as in the movie, I stand amazed that all those kids turned out as well as the film depicts.
I like it but do not care for the part where the Baroness tells Maria that
Von Trapp is entranced by that blue dress and then Maria just happens to wear it at the party. Just a little too worldly manipulative by a novice nun for me.
But I'm probably the only one who sees that................;)

[/quote]

I thought the Baroness made the comment that she should wear the dress she wore the other night when the Baron couldn't take his eyes off her AFTER Maria had been asked to join the party, when she was in her room, changing, and Maria left IMMEDIATELY after that, without seeing the Captain again? :confused:

In the book, the Baroness was referred to as "Princess Yvonne" and she first shocked Maria by telling her that Captain Von Trapp was in love with her, then outraged Maria by stating that she wanted Maria to have a party for the children at home during their wedding--she didn't want "a commotion" at her wedding--and that she planned to send the children off to school as soon as they returned from their honeymoon: "Did you think I was marrying the children?" she asks.

In the book, Maria never really wanted to marry the Captain... in fact, she was devastated when she went to her superior and they told her that it was God's will that she marry the Captain!

[quote="bluerose, post:9, topic:223916"]
I thought the Baroness made the comment that she should wear the dress she wore the other night when the Baron couldn't take his eyes off her AFTER Maria had been asked to join the party, when she was in her room, changing, and Maria left IMMEDIATELY after that, without seeing the Captain again? :confused:

In the book, the Baroness was referred to as "Princess Yvonne" and she first shocked Maria by telling her that Captain Von Trapp was in love with her, then outraged Maria by stating that she wanted Maria to have a party for the children at home during their wedding--she didn't want "a commotion" at her wedding--and that she planned to send the children off to school as soon as they returned from their honeymoon: "Did you think I was marrying the children?" she asks.

In the book, Maria never really wanted to marry the Captain... in fact, she was devastated when she went to her superior and they told her that it was God's will that she marry the Captain!

[/quote]

I believe you have the sequence of events correct. The mentioning of the blue dress is how the Baroness manipulates Maria to leave the family and return to the convent. Maria first wears the dress when they are putting on the marionette show and the Baroness first starts to realize the Captain is in love with Maria. The thing to remember is that Maria only had one party dress, and it was blue, but the rest of her clothes were more modest and plain looking. She didn't have any other option, the Baroness just pushed the right buttons.

I love the movie, its my all time favorite.

Yes, I probably got the sequence wrong. I haven't seen the movie in a very long time.
Still not a Julie Andrews fan though which is probably why I remembered it the way I did. :o

I am a huge Sound of Music fan and in addition to watching it probably a thousand times or so, I've also read nearly every book on the subject, visited the Trapp Family Lodge, and have made a reproduction of Liesl's costume from her dancing scene. I just love the film, and if any of you want to read more about the actual story, I would highly recommend you visit www.the-sound-of-music-guide.com ! It's amazing how different the real story is from the film. For instance, they actually were married for ten years in Austria before the Anschluss occurred, and the children had been very musical before Maria came into their lives. After the Captain's death and the disbanding of the family singing group, the real Maria took two of her own children to be missionaries for several years.

If you liked the costumes from the Sound of Music, you should visit www.edelweisspatterns.com , and visit www.trappfamily.com to see where the family is today!

I have loved this movie since I was very young. My parents actually have an audio recording of me watching the movie when I was 3 or 4 years old. At the end of "My favorite things," when the captain comes barging in, I screamed. :)

After getting married, my husband found my DVD of it in my collection and brushed it off as "some boring musical." (He had no interest in it AT ALL.) I convinced him to sit down and watch it with me, and he fell in love with it, just as I had. It's a wonderful movie. The songs are beautiful. And I love the "I love you" scene, too.

[quote="PrincessP, post:12, topic:223916"]
I am a huge Sound of Music fan and in addition to watching it probably a thousand times or so, I've also read nearly every book on the subject, visited the Trapp Family Lodge, and have made a reproduction of Liesl's costume from her dancing scene. I just love the film, and if any of you want to read more about the actual story, I would highly recommend you visit www.the-sound-of-music-guide.com ! It's amazing how different the real story is from the film. For instance, they actually were married for ten years in Austria before the Anschluss occurred, and the children had been very musical before Maria came into their lives. After the Captain's death and the disbanding of the family singing group, the real Maria took two of her own children to be missionaries for several years.

If you liked the costumes from the Sound of Music, you should visit www.edelweisspatterns.com , and visit www.trappfamily.com to see where the family is today!

[/quote]

Thanks very much for the information!

Agathe von Trapp just passed away. She was represented in the movie by the character of Liesl. May Agathe rest in peace.

Heavenly Father, please and thank You Lord for receiving Agathe into your loving arms. Thank You for using the von Trapp family to spread happiness throughout the world, and for reminding us that your mercy and goodness always wins. Amen.

[quote="marytk, post:5, topic:223916"]
I would recommend that you find her book Trapp Family Singers. Her faith was very important to her.

[/quote]

Yes, it's a wonderful book!!

I just looked up the books on Amazon. If I can find my book "MARIA" it may be worth a lot. The eldest daughter, who just died, Agathe wrote a book too.

This is one of my very favorite movies. I can't always sit through the Nazi parts, but I can watch the other parts an unlimited number of times. I've never seen the books, though; I might need to investigate those! :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.