MOVIE: Therese

Movie on St Therese of Lisieux opens Oct 1st

theresemovie.com

Here’s the website…the lady involved is on Marcus Grodi (Journey Home) right now…they need people to start petitioning theaters to bring this movie in!

SV

Well… I don’t know anything about the movie but I’ll have to say she is my most favorite saint ever.Qynne Callahan:thumbsup:

St. Therese is my Mom’s favorite Saint too. I can not wait for this to come out. I can not believe this is not out. How many garbage movies that hollywood uts out and no one sees. This should be out.

Andyz

Yes, THERESE opens in the United States on October 1st, but it may not play in your region unless you take action to tell Hollywood that you want to see it in YOUR area. Here’s what the producer’s most recent newsletter (which I get because I signed up for it at the www.theresemovie.com Website):

----- Original Message -----
To:
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 6:05 AM
Subject: THERESE Supplementary Issue, July

HOW YOU CAN HELP TOUCH MANY SOULS THROUGH THE THÉRÈSE MOTION PICTURE

With only 73 days to go, we need everyone to motivate their respective
communities to achieve the PMGA (Potential Movie Going Audience) goal for
their region. As promised in the July issue of the THÉRÈSE E-newsletter
which you recently received in your inbox, here are the various areas in
which PMGA goals can be met in any given demographic:

1. YOUR PRAYERFUL SUPPORT: Please offer the motion picture THÉRÈSE up in
    your prayers as it seeks to be an inspiring voice to the modern world.

2. VISIT THE WEBSITE at www.theresemovie.com and click “SEE THÉRÈSE” in the
    upper right corner. Registering on the website only allows you access to
    the Discussion Board but does not contribute to the overall PMGA goals and
    Release Analysis. Therefore, if you have not already clicked on the SEE
    THÉRÈSE section, please do so to help secure THÉRÈSE in your local movie
    theater.

3. SEND A POSTCARD with your name and address to Luke Films, Inc., PO Box
    761, Beaverton, OR 97075

4. CALL THE LUKE FILMS OFFICE at (800) 683-2998 or (503) 524-7760 to express
    interest in bringing THÉRÈSE to your local area.

5. GROUP SALES: Send group sales inquiries and requests by e-mail to
    groupsales@theresemovie.com. PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT YOUR LOCAL MOVIE
    THEATERS DIRECTLY.

If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact us
at info@theresemovie.com.

May God bless you!

Leonardo Defilippis
President
Luke Films, Inc.

This was forwarded to me:

Hello everyone, I’m not sure how many of you have already heard about this. I thought I would pass the info along. There are links to the nearest location where it is showing right now.
Portland [Click here for local poster]

REGAL Lloyd Center 10
Portland, OR

REGAL City Center 12
Vancouver, WA

Sacramento [Click here for local poster]

REGAL Olympus Pointe 12
Roseville, CA

REGAL Arden Fair 6
Sacramento, CA
THERESE Motion Picture Update
As of Wednesday, September 29, THERESE ranked #29 out of 143 movies playing nationwide in terms of total audience attendance, but was ranked #2 based on average performance for each location.
On Thursday, September 30, THERESE was ranked #19 out of the 143 movies playing, but held on to the #2 ranking for average performance.
Friday, October 1 presents the beginning of the greatest challenge for the THERESE movie – competing with new mainstream releases like Shark Tale and Ladder 49.
This weekend is when we need the most attendance for THERESE, in order to keep our movie playing in the theaters and to expand to other cities. To those of you able to see the movie this weekend, we urge you to find time to do so.
Some of you may be wondering what will happen if THERESE enjoys mainstream success. You can be assured that we will be producing more inspirational faith-based films in the future, fulfilling the vision of the Holy Father.
The THERESE motion picture is the beginning of a great non-commercial partnership between you, the people who believe in our ministry, and Luke Films. Please continue your prayerful encouragement.
As you know, we cannot afford mainstream advertisement for our film in the areas of the film’s release. In order to create extended visibility to sustain the movie, our Zeal Team came up with the more economical advertisement idea of a balloon campaign. The balloons are printed with the THERESE logo and must be handed out in schools, to children after mass, and through religious businesses. We need volunteers to help us with this campaign. Please email volunteerprogram@theresemovie.com for more information.

Go see it if you can!!

I keep praying it will finally get to the Chicagoland area.

[quote=stbruno]I keep praying it will finally get to the Chicagoland area.
[/quote]

It is in Chicago.

Here is the updated list:

Click the links below to purchase tickets. For those interested in group sales at REGAL theaters, call (866) 633-8232 or emailmeet@regalcinemeetings.com. For group sales at AMC theaters, call (888) 262-1180.
For group sales at the WEHRENBERG theater, call (314) 822-4520.
BALTIMORE/DC
REGAL Snowden Square Stadium 14
Columbia, MD
CHICAGO
AMC City North 14
Chicago, IL
AMC South Barrington 30
South Barrington, IL
DALLAS
AMC Grapevine Mills 30
Dallas, TX
DETROIT
AMC Forum 30
Sterling Heights, MI
DENVER
REGAL Twin Peaks 10
Longmont, CO
HOUSTON
AMC Gulf Pointe 30
Houston, TX
AMC Studio 30
Houston, TX
AMC Willowbrook 24
Houston, TX
LAS VEGAS
REGAL Village Square 18
Las Vegas, NV
REGAL Colonnade 14
Las Vegas, NV
LOS ANGELES
REGAL Renaissance Stadium 14
Alhambra, CA
AMC Media Center 8
Burbank, CA
NEW JERSEY
REGAL Burlington Stadium 20
Burlington, NJ
NEW YORK
REGAL Battery Park 11
New York, NY
ORANGE COUNTY
REGAL Brea West 10
Brea, CA
REGAL Mira Mesa 18
San Diego, CA
PHILADELPHIA
REGAL Riverview Plaza Stadium 17
Philadelphia, PA
REGAL Plymouth Meeting 10
Conshohocken, PA
PORTLAND
REGAL Lloyd Center 10
Portland, OR
REGAL City Center 12
Vancouver, WA
SACRAMENTO
REGAL Olympus Pointe 12
Roseville, CA
REGAL Arden Fair 6
Sacramento, CA
ST. LOUIS
West Olive 16
Creve Coeur, MO
WEHRENBERG Des Peres 14
St. Louis, MO
SAN ANTONIO
REGAL Fiesta 16
San Antonio, TX
REGAL Live Oak 18
Live Oak, TX
SAN DIEGO
REGAL Horton Plaza 14
San Diego, CA
SEATTLE
REGAL Crossroads 8
Bellevue, WA
WISCONSIN
Paradise 10
West Bend, WI
GUAM
Micronesia Mall Theatres

STARTING OCTOBER 15TH:
(If you do not see showtimes with these links please call the theaters directly.)
CALIFORNIA
AMC Bay Street 16
Emeryville, CA
REGAL Fresno 22
Fresno, CA
LOEWS Beverly Center 13
Los Angeles, CA
REGAL Signature Stadium 10
Modesto, CA
AMC Ontario Mills 30
Ontario, CA
FLORIDA
REGAL Beach Boulevard 18
Jacksonville, FL
REGAL Palace 18
Miami, FL
REGAL South Beach Cinema 18
Miami Beach, FL
AMC Veterans Expressway 24
Tampa, FL
REGAL Winter Park 20
Winter Park, FL
GEORGIA
REGAL Hollywood 24
Chamblee, GA
INDIANA
KERASOTES Showplace 16
Indianapolis, IN
LOUISIANA
REGAL Ambassador 10
Lafayette, LA
MINNESOTA
KERASOTES Showplace 16
Coon Rapids, MN
KERASOTES Showplace 16
Inver Grove Heights, MN
NEW JERSEY
REGAL Market Fair 10
Princeton, NJ
NEW YORK
REGAL Elmwood Center 16
Buffalo, NY
REGAL 64th St and 2nd Ave
New York, NY
OHIO
AMC Easton Town Center 30
Columbus, OH
AMC Newport on the Levee 20
Newport, KY
AMC Westwood Town Center
Rocky River, OH
TEXAS
REGAL North Creek 10
Laredo, TX
WASHINGTON D.C.
REGAL Potomac Yard 16
Alexandria, VA

STARTING OCTOBER 22ND:
(If you do not see showtimes with these links please call the theaters directly.)
NEW HAMPSHIRE
REGAL Manchester 9
Manchester, NH
RHODE ISLAND
REGAL Swansea 12
Swansea, MA

STARTING OCTOBER 29TH:
KERASOTES Showplace 16
South Bend, IN

I am very excited after trying for weeks to book a field trip for the girls in our school, that we are finally able to go.

I am a bit disappointed in the way this movie has been promoted and the fact that they told everyone not to call the theatres.
Originally the Passion was not going to be picked up by every cinema I think it was only the phone calls to many theatres and inquiries that helped many of the theatres to pick up the Passion.

I felt like I was getting my teeth pulled to get a field trip booked. Because no one would guarantee me more than 4 or 5 days at a time. And then no one would return my calls.
[font=Times New Roman]
But with that said we are finally going this week and I can not wait to see the movie.[/font]

I saw the film recently and it really is lovely. I would have loved to have seen it when I was a child, too–I think girls especially will find it moving. The actor who plays Therese is beautiful. I look forward to reading other posts from folks who have seen it! God bless all!

I completely missed its opening weekend because I thought it would show in Kansas City somewhere! The Benji movie, a complete independent film, I understand, got more showtime and advertisement (I’m pretty glad for them except that the mother bemoans staying at home and taking care of her son–either the son was more mature than Therese at his age or he was unreal to put her feelings above his). I have to kick myself for forgetting to go to the website a lot of times so it would come here. Meanwhile, Maria Full of Grace is here and still around with 3 stars (unfortunately, a lack of class, anti-Catholicism and a blasphemous title is not a point loser according to movie reviewers. I think the movie about the reform school nuns got a good grade too. I don’t know if I should thank God for the collective martyrdom or be mad about the misrepresentation, but I think we should pray for them that they can wake up and realize the scandal they caused and get the grace to repent (at confession, if Catholic).
I had to go to the Theresemovie website to see if any showings were nearby. I had to go all the way to St. Louis! Well, it could have been worse, I guess. After a a couple of failed attempts to get an oil change on short notice, I finally did after exiting I-70 onto a road called Providence. I got to the movie right at its starting time and only missed her early childhood because I was frantically trying to find my way through the labyrinth that is found in these mega-multiplexes.
It was a great movie! It made me feel bad (a good, purifying, healthy kind of bad) about how selfishly I spend my freetime and how personally I take affronts to my ego and undeserved condescension for something not my fault. I can’t say it sparked a metanoia, but it definitely will be on my DVDs-to-buy list for constructive films for my mind and soul. It was worth going all the way out there just to drive back right afterwards.
About an hour from KC, the minutes seemed to last for hours. I had to wake up not long afterwards for mass and I still hadn’t let the bird out for his hour. Anyway, I kind of got a slight feeling about how Purgatory might feel (at least the longing part). For what it was worth to understand any physical-like pain in the soul, I felt sharp pain from sitting for about 4 hours almost-straight. I didn’t know what I’d do at that time of night to stretch out except to get more gas with the time budget I was on.

I saw it in Chicago with my two little girls. I was afraid they’d find it boring but they loved it!! They had alot of questions… what’s a nun? Why are they in a cage when visitors come? (child’s perspective) I’m glad we saw it.

Peace,
CM

Has anyone seen this movie? I’m sure it’s written by reliable Catholics sources, right? :thumbsup:

[quote=Teles]Has anyone seen this movie? I’m sure it’s written by reliable Catholics sources, right? :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Why would a Protestant or atheist want to make a movie about what in their perspective is an obscure French nun?

to possibly degrade it. I hope that wouldn’t be the case, but it seems like there are quite a few movies that use the Church to not give Her any justice.

No, Therese was very orthodox. It had the blessing of Holy See (some office, not the Holy Father). Unfortunately, it was also very bad, IMHO. It seems that they didn’t use a filter or good lighting, because the picture was grainy, like an old rerun of “Little House on the Prarie.” It also had about as much as emotional depth (“Pa, Pa, Laura fell down the well!”). You aren’t really shown why St. Therese is a saint or why her “Little Way” is so important. There’s one point, quite a way into the movie, when Therese sighs and whines, “What shall I do?” I thought, “Get a job!” The only thing that could have made it worse is if they caught the sound boom in the shots . They had typos in the credits, too. Understand, this is no criticism of SAINT Therese.

[quote=Teles]to possibly degrade it. I hope that wouldn’t be the case, but it seems like there are quite a few movies that use the Church to not give Her any justice.
[/quote]

The Church was positively portrayed. They had a retired bishop play Pope Leo XIII. I felt forry for him, the movie was so bad.

You aren’t really shown why St. Therese is a saint or why her “Little Way” is so important.

It’s pretty hard to depict those things in a movie-- her spirituality seems more “interior,” and even the externals involve doing every little daily act to please God.

[quote=drforjc]It’s pretty hard to depict those things in a movie-- her spirituality seems more “interior,” and even the externals involve doing every little daily act to please God.
[/quote]

Well if that is the case why a movie on therese why not try a movie on a Saint whose contributions could more easily be transferred to film. Mother Teressa or Saint Ignatius of Loyola etc would be stories worthy of modern film making. Therese spirituality is great in book form but the little way doesn’t transfer to the big screen where big dramatic incidents play better. Catholic should think about these type of things before investing themselves into these projects.
Heck Saint Bernadette story’s wroked ok becuase it was dramatic at times. You have to think of what would work well on screen.

I think that the idea was that she is a popular saint who has wide appeal even beyond devout Catholics and, therefore, it might have worked on a secular basis beyond the usual Catholic outlets. In so much as they have managed to get their film on major theater companie’s screens, I suppose that they have somwhat succeeded.

It also seems that Leonardo DeFillippis is trying to expand out and do more with his apostolate.

The thing is, he makes devotional films. Everything is khitchy. They’re good for what they are in their own limited sphere but it is hard to get beyond the almost preachy, churchy sensibility which imbues them. It’s all the same no matter what he makes. Just recreations with the same effects and a different story. Perhaps the Maximillian Kolbe work has the most potential, at least, in that it touches upon more universal themes and a topic (the holocaust) which is of wider interest. But it, too, is still overtly religious and this emphasis would probably turn off many a less interested viewer.

[quote=drforjc]It’s pretty hard to depict those things in a movie-- her spirituality seems more “interior,” and even the externals involve doing every little daily act to please God.
[/quote]

To see the burning fire, welling-water, dividing-sword interior life of a saint, externalized in a magical, beautiful way, go rent Lars von Trier’s Breaking the Waves .

Or see his latest: Dogville , which cuts out the middle-man and shows the very life of grace itself.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.