MOVIE: Wreck-it Ralph

Anyone planning to see this?

I’ve been anticipating it for a while. It looks fun, and hey, it has Q*bert! :smiley:

FirstShowing.net gives it a positive review (just be warned, there is often cussing in the comments on that site): firstshowing.net/2012/review-disneys-wreck-it-ralph-finds-heart-joy-in-obvious-idea/

Hopefully I’ll have time to see it this weekend.

I’m thinking I might take my little sister to it when I’m visiting my parent’s next weekend. ^^ Either way, I definitely intend to see it.

:thumbsup:Yeah,I’m going to try and see it tonight myself.It looks cute.
Also want to see the Life of Pi,amd The Guardians, which is also animated and has Santa, the Easter Bunny,etc. in it.

My kids want to see it and “The Guardians,” so we will likely see “Wreck-it Ralph” first and maybe “The Guardians” sometime during the Christmas season if timing works out.

I hate to say it, but this film just looks dumb. Pixar movies seem to have lost the magic touch they used to have. I really liked the first two Toy Stories, Monsters Inc was great and the Incredibles is still one of the best movies I have seen. A Bugs Life and UP were okay, Finding Nemo was boring and the Cars films were stupid.Ratatouille and Toy Story 3 were very disappointing and so was Wall E. I haven’t seen Brave yet.
Maybe it’s just because I am getting older, but these movies seem to get worse as they go along. Disney/Pixar throw whatever they want out because it will still make money whether it’s good or not. Seems like they used to put more effort in their films.

Wreck-it Ralph is not a Pixar movie. It was produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios.

My mistake. When it was originally announced I read Pixar was involved, I assumed that was still true.

I loved Wall-E and Toy Story 3 was a good end. I haven’t seen Ratatouille yet. I personally don’t see Pixar deteriorating, yet.

Anyways as a kid who grew up in the video game craze this film looks great. I could see it as a film that will be followed by more video game movie adaptions, hopefully. I am definitely going to be seeing this one in theaters.

Just a matter of taste I guess, 'hope you enjoy it.
I’m not trying to start an argument here, but what did you find appealing about Wall.E? To me the idea of two robots finding romance was ludicrous. Not to mention portraying humans as uneducated,lazy marshmallows after destroying our own planet with overpopulation and inadequate waste management. Cmon, human stupidity is almost potentially infinite, but were not that dumb. It did have some nice scenery of space though.

No problem, I enjoy discussions as long as they don’t become heated.

I guess I just wasn’t taking it as seriously as you. Sure robots will never become advanced or human enough to be romantic. However this is just a fictional movie. I just thought of it the same way I did when I watched Toy Story. Sure Toys aren’t really alive but its still a fun idea.

I didn’t remember anything in the film about over population, though I know you are correct on the waste management part.

As far as the humans go, it wasn’t a completely negative portrayal. Sure they were ignorant and had let a computer system pretty much run there lives. Humans are known to only listen to what they want to hear at times. In the end they do show redeeming qualities.

I agree the story isn’t realistic by any stretch but I don’t think it was meant to be.

Maybe I did take it a bit too seriously, but seeing as the liberal green movement was in full swing at that point I saw too many similarities to enjoy the film.
If you ever see Ratatouille, don’t get your hopes up. It’s about a rat who cooks. Not much else happens. Although I didn’t care for,Spoiler the rat’s buddy turning out to be the illegitimate son of the original chef, I just felt it was unnecessary especially in a Disney film.*

I don’t know…in Wall-E I saw more about humanity having declined to the point of being so inwardly absorbed that there is just not attempt to move outside yourself. All communication is done via screens even if the two people are sitting right next to each other. There is no effort made by anyone to reach out. Not even to get their own drink. When the ship lurches, people are thrown out of their chairs. For the first time in a long time, they are move out of their cocoons. They hit the floor and bump into each other. It’s like they are finally becoming aware of what’s around them for the first time. The camera zooms on on a pair of hands that suddenly touch…and the seed for a real romance begins to form.

I know a lot of people talk about the heavy handed environmental message but that really only a part of just how depraved the humans have become over time.

As for Wreck-It Ralph, I enjoyed it immensely. The parental bonus is strong with this one. It does help to have some knowledge of video games, game genres, how they are played, common tropes, etc. It helps appreciate the universe this movie takes place in. But I was surprised that not only were there a lot of video game gags, but there were a lot of *candy *gags.

My husband and I commented on how Pixar-esque it felt sometimes. I had a real Monsters Inc. vibe from it. The video game characters but an insane amount of work in order to present what seems to the human player to be a simple interaction (like monsters working on their scaring technique just to give a kid a simple BOO!). I especially loved watching how the first person-shooters work. That was really cute (well…if you can call that kind of game “cute”).

My brother is going to LOVE it. My sisters…maybe not as much.

The green movement element was heavy handed enough to bother me. Though I understand your annoyance.

It reminds me of my opinion on the 60s Planet of Apes film. It was a well done movie. However I thought there was a heavy handed anti-religion pro evolution vibe going on. My brother didn’t really see this and thats why he enjoyed the movie while I really didn’t.

Steve Greydanas[sp?] of DecentFilms (and sometimes the National Cathiolic Register) loved the film. He is a stickler for being morally suitable for the audience, and he thought it OK for kids. (I actually was worried because the movie stars Sarah Silverman and to accurately describe this actress in too much detail could get me banned from this site :o)

Lots of video game and candy gags? I haven’t seen it yet and know nothing about it, but this may just be the perfect movie. :smiley:

Where did you see his review? It’s not available on his web site yet. I don’t see it on the NCR web site either.

He posted it on his Twitter feed (@DecentFilms, Nov 4 with four tweets starting at 4:48PM). Small correction: he didn’t love it (“call me entertained, not delighted”), but sounded OK. Took his whole family and some cousins and did not complain.

I just hope that it wouldn’t be like “Scott Pilgrim Against the World” though.

I saw Wreck-It Ralph a few days ago; it’s great! :slight_smile:

I doubt it will be anything like that one.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.