Moviegoer charged with shooting man whose family was talking during film

mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_11325400

Moviegoer charged with shooting man whose family was talking during film

PHILADELPHIA — A South Philadelphia man enraged because a family was talking during a Christmas showing of “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” decided to deal with the situation by shooting the father, police said.

James Joseph Cialella Jr., 29, is charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault and weapons violations.

His alleged victim, whom police did not identify, was shot in the left arm. He was treated at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital.

“It’s truly frightening when you see something like this evolve into such violence,” said police spokesman Lt. Frank Vanore. “That something like this leads to a shooting in a movie theater.”

Frightening – but hardly surprising
i wonder if people will be a little more polite in theaters for a little while?

I’m not surprised. I work at a theater and the weekend The Dark Knight was released, there was a similar incident.

A man was kicking the seat of another man’s girlfriend. The second man asked him to stop, but the first man didn’t, so the second man punched the first man in the face.

Society itself is pretty rude quite a bit of the time. This incident and road rage are just two symptoms of the problem.

This does not surprise me at all. I managed a movie theatre for nine years, and people think that their admissin ticket entitles them to act any way they want. Some people don’t care about the difference between a public theatre and their own living rooms.

I doubt it, really. I showed a film to a group of kids not too long ago, and it was unbelievable - they yapped and giggled all the way through the whole thing. I could barely hear myself think. I told them to be quiet and pay attention to the film, several times.

These were teenagers, but I felt like I should have written up “paying attention” sheets for them, like you do for kids in Grade 3, with questions asking what’s going on at various points in the movie.

Wow…this guy has some pretty serious psychological issues if he went to a FAMILY movie with a gun, sat behind a family (or stayed behind them when they sat in front of him), caused the father to feel his family was threatened, and shot him in front of his kids and probably many other families (affirming the father’s feelings that his family was threatened).

I’m surprised some people here seem more critical of the family with the talking kids than of the crazy man who shot the father (who was doing what a good father should be doing- he was protecting his family).

That being said, I can sympathize with being annoyed by people in theaters. When I go to the movies, I’m not going there to watch the other people at it- I want to notice them as little as possible. My ideal movie-going experience would be the one in which I was the only person in the theater.

That’s why I’ hardly go to movie theater except to catch blockbusters on IMAX. I have a hometheater in my house. So, I can watch movies in peace and comfort. The sound is 10x better than the movie house. It sounds expensive, but it is not if you know what to buy and how to build your dream theater.

Wow… I thought this happens as a joke in the “Scary Movie” where the black girl is stabbed…

:frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.