MOVIES: A Christmas Carol (Disney's version)

*My dh had to work today, so the kids and I went to see Disney's ''A Christmas Carol,'' starring Jim Carrey. It was great. It's in 3-d, and the 3-d of nowadays, is much more subtle than yesteryear. You literally felt like you were IN the movie, it was neat how they did that. The storyline of course stayed true to form, and I cried at the end. Aw. :o The Christmas music was wonderful too...Disney did a great job keeping this one authentic, with the 3-d giving it a nice little twist. I highly recommend it for all ages to put you in the Christmas spirit. :heart:

Anyone else see it yet?*

I'm so glad you wrote about it! My daughter and I plan to go see it soon; we are suckers for any good Christmas movies, and I love "A Christmas Carol." She is off from her grad program until mid-January, and it will be a great way to relax.

So happy you loved the movie!

[quote="dixieagle, post:2, topic:177737"]
I'm so glad you wrote about it! My daughter and I plan to go see it soon; we are suckers for any good Christmas movies, and I love "A Christmas Carol." She is off from her grad program until mid-January, and it will be a great way to relax.

So happy you loved the movie!

[/quote]

*I think you'll enjoy it! :) Of course, it is a little far fetched, like Polar Express, if you have seen that one...but, they didn't compromise the integrity of the original storyline, with the original verses. I thought is was very heart warming...let me know what you think. *

Saw it and liked it with my 8 year old. We both thought it lacked something....heart perhaps. My favorite has always been the live action George C. Scott movie. Of course the best of all is to see it live on stage which we do every couple of years at the Great Lakes Theater Festival

[quote="whatevergirl, post:1, topic:177737"]
*My dh had to work today, so the kids and I went to see Disney's ''A Christmas Carol,'' starring Jim Carrey. It was great. It's in 3-d, and the 3-d of nowadays, is much more subtle than yesteryear. You literally felt like you were IN the movie, it was neat how they did that. The storyline of course stayed true to form, and I cried at the end. Aw. :o The Christmas music was wonderful too...Disney did a great job keeping this one authentic, with the 3-d giving it a nice little twist. I highly recommend it for all ages to put you in the Christmas spirit. :heart:

Anyone else see it yet?*

[/quote]

I know that I would like it if I saw it (Love all of them)...but my dad's friend at work said it was a little "dark" and "scary" for kids. Did you get that impression...or your kids?

God Bless
Therese

*Interesting comment, yes…I see what you’re saying. It seemed a little stiff in parts. For example, when Scrooge is looking back at his past, and his wife is leaving him…it seemed to go too quickly, that part. I have seen that part dragged out a bit longer in other ‘‘versions,’’ and I liked it better. All in all, I liked it though. *

[quote="lil_flower_luv, post:5, topic:177737"]
I know that I would like it if I saw it (Love all of them)...but my dad's friend at work said it was a little "dark" and "scary" for kids. Did you get that impression...or your kids?

God Bless
Therese

[/quote]

I didn't think so, but my son who is 17 thought so. lol He said he could see it being too scary for littler kids. :o

Your son is smart to catch on to what a child might think! (Tell him he should be a child psychiatrist;)) Are the images scary or maybe the music? When I was a little kid the third spirit in the movie Scrooge w/ Albert Finney had a big impact on me…he was scary! I wonder what an animated image can do to a child’s mind.

I like Patrick Stewart's :)

[quote="lil_flower_luv, post:8, topic:177737"]
Your son is smart to catch on to what a child might think! (Tell him he should be a child psychiatrist;)) Are the image's scary or maybe the music? When I was a little kid the third spirit in the movie Scrooge w/ Albert Finney had a big impact on me...he was scary! I wonder what a animated image can do to a child's mind.

[/quote]

*I will have to tell him that....:)
I'm trying to think how I might feel as a little kid, watching this. There were small kids in the theater, like around 4-ish, but that might be too young. There is a part where Scrooge comes face to face with the "Christmas future" ghost, who is a grim reaper, dark shadowed looking creature. He rides a dark coach, with pitch black horses, with red eyes...when they jumped out at me, I shrieked. My son laughed at that part when I did that. :D My kids think I'm a big baby, but whatever. lol I would say that would scare a young child, because it scared me! Just startled me, you know? It is 3-d so some of those darker images do jump out at you. I think probably 7 or 8 yrs old and up would be appropriate. But, not younger, just my two cents. *

Whatevergirl, thanks for the writeup and comments. We may take the college girls when they come back for Christmas break, they will probably need some entertainment after their Exams.haha:D

The 3D version with Jim Carrey looks so grim and serious and so depressing with not much indication it ever lightens up. (Does it?) I certainly wouldn’t feel comfortable taking my nieces to see it.

The only serious and depressing movie I saw this season was the PRO-LIFE movie “Precious,” and it absolutely broke my heart. (There were some critics who gave it bad reviews because Precious didn’t kill her father’s baby in her womb, i.e., she chose life for a child conceived from incest.) That’s the sort of movie I would like to think would be described as grim and depressing - certainly not a “family” Christmas flick.

Best Christmas Carol version I’ve ever seen was the light-hearted “Scrooge” with Bill Murray. No question. That one’s classic. :thumbsup:

My favourite Christmas Carol is the Muppet's version. :D

I've been wanting to see the Jim Carrey Christmas Carol, but now I'm wondering if my four-year-old might not be ready for it. If the third spirit is really dark, we might wait a little while.

No, it does lighten up…there are patches of darkness through it, but there are definitely parts where you laugh out loud…or it brings a smile to your face. Jim Carrey doesn a great job with the main character…you don’t realize it’s Jim Carrey, like you did watching The Grinch. (another fave of mine, that is a funny movie!!) It might go over the head of a very young child, however. I enjoyed it…I really was impressed with the details that these moviemakers can pull off with computer animation!

*I don’t think you should take your 4 yr old, just my two cents. I think that it can be a bit scary for little ones. Since it’s 3-d, you really literally feel like you’re in the movie, so those images pop out at you. :o *

My 8th graders will be reading *A Christmas Carol *starting next week.

I was thinking of seeing if they wanted to meet at a theatre and see the movie together. What do you think of it for 8th graders? Since it would be outside of school, parents could certainly choose not to take their kids.

My daughter is in 8th grade, and she really liked it…and there’s nothing in it, that I think parents would find inappropriate for their kids to see. I think they’ll love it as a nice bonus to reading the book. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the review! I had thought of taking my kids to see it, but wasn't sure. I am often unsure about Disney remaking a traditional movie. But it sounds like it's going to be fun!! Thanks again! :D

[quote="Irish_Becca, post:18, topic:177737"]
Thanks for the review! I had thought of taking my kids to see it, but wasn't sure. I am often unsure about Disney remaking a traditional movie. But it sounds like it's going to be fun!! Thanks again! :D

[/quote]

Me, too. I wondered the same thing, but truly, it was great...they did a good job keeping the integrity of the story.

I'm sort of a softie too... the part where the ghost of Christmas present(? I think...) died, was really dark and scary!! Sort of shocking to see a kid's movie that's so scary!

Anyway... didn't it just warm your heart when kid Scrooge was singing Adeste Fideles? Not sure if many people caught that... I almost wanted to sing along:D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.