Movies about Catholic Church

Okay, so I’ve been looking for some more modern and non cheeseball movies about the catholic church, priests, what have you. i know of several good ones, but i’m trying to look for movies that perhaps i have missed. PLEASE respond! Thanks!

I haven’t seen this myself, but I want to: For Greater Glory.

Two suggestions I recently saw:

1. “The Ninth Day” - based on a true story: a Luxembourg priest imprisoned in Dachau by the Nazis is given leave for 9 days to try to convince the Bishop of Luxembourg to sign a statement favoring the Nazis. Amazing performance by the lead actor.

2. “Diary of a City Priest”: David Morse (ST. ELSEWHERE, HOUSE, JOHN ADAMS) in an adaptation of a memoir by an inner-city priest, following a year in the life of his parish.

I haven’t seen it yet, but you might also check out the Finnish film “Letters to Father Jacob,” focusing on the relationship between a blind Catholic priest in a declining Parish and a young woman who reads to him.

Therese: The Story of Saint Therese of Lisieux

Bingo! ihaven’t heard of any of these films, and I am rather excited to check them out! Thanks for your input!

It might be helpful if you shared your list of films you like to give us a sense of your tastes. (and a few recommendateions to look into ourselves.:slight_smile: )
Have you seen the Scarlet and the Black with Christopher Plummer? It came out in 1983.

The Passion of the Christ of course!
There would be no Catholic church without the Passion of Our Lord.

You’re very welcome. Let us know what you think of them after you get a chance to view them. I viewed all of them on DVDs from my local library, BTW.

Great movie by the way. It’s wonderful. Gregory Peck plays the priest. I also Like “I Confess” which was made for Alfred Hitchcock presents. It has montgomery clift in it, and I love how it uses the Seal of Confession as a plot device.

I haven’t seen this one, but I hear lots of good things about “The Mission” about Jesuits in South America.

Also, though this is not for the faint of heart, I thought “The Rite” which was released recently with Anthony Hopkins, was a pretty good film about exorcism, and seemed to portray the church in a fairly good light. I was surprised by it since i thought from the previews that it might be fairly anti catholic, or represent the church wrongly

How about “The Mission” and “Romero”?

Oh and I forgot to mention one I saw recently on IFC. It was called Saint Ralph and it was about this kid who is forced to join the cross country team for bad behavior. for the Boston marathon to help his mom get out of a coma or something like that. I wasn’t able to finish the whole movie,but there is a priest who helps train him at his catholic school. Some parts were a little risque, but I kind of liked it.

Black Robe: A great Canadian film based off of a novel about a French Jesuit missionary in 1634 pre-Quebec who travels with the Algonquin to seek out a Catholic mission with the Huron tribe. This film is truly a masterpiece; the story, the score, the cinematography and the acting. It is a very powerful, haunting and brutal film not for the feint of heart that shows the horrible trials many French Jesuit missionaries went through. The ending is truly powerful and still brings me to tears.

Some others to check out:

“There Be Dragons” - About the founder of Opus Dei.

“Don Bosco” - Ben Gazzara as St. John Bosco.

“Saint Philip Neri: I Prefer Heaven” - An Italian film bout the founder of the Oratorian order and the great evangelist of Rome.

“Edith Stein: The Seventh Chamber” - Maia Morgenstern, who also starred in The Passion, as the philosopher, Jewish convert, and Carmelite nun who was martyred at Auschwitz.

“The Detective” - Alec Guinness as G.K. Chesterton’s crime-solving priest, Father Brown. Playing this role led Guinness on a path to eventual conversion to Catholicism, BTW.

“The Way” - Martin Sheen as a man who travels to collect the remains of his son in France, who was killed while undertaking the historic Camino de Santiago religious pilgrimage, then continues the pilgrimage to honor his son.

“In This House of Brede” - with Diana Rigg as a wealthy, accomplished woman who decides to enter the Benedictine order of nuns.

“The Prisoner” - Alec Guinness, again, as a cardinal (obviously based on Cardinal Mindszenty in Poland) imprisoned in a game of wits in an unnamed communist country.

“Brideshead Revisited” - The BBC miniseries is available free for viewing on Netflix streaming. Ralph McInerny recommended the book and the miniseries (not the remake) as a quintessentially Catholic view of Grace.

“Gran Torino” - An amazingly Catholic worldview, especially the end.

“Les Miserables” - You’ll have to wait until December 14 to see the film of the musical, but I’m looking forward to it.

“The Jeweler’s Shop” - Based on a play by the blessed Pope John Paul II

“The Assisi Underground” - (1984) with Ben Cross and James Mason - true story of the underground railroad operated by priests and sisters that rescued Jews in WWII.

Hope this gives you some viewing ideas.

Also worth viewing: “Catholics” with Martin Sheen and Trevor Howard (which is available now on Amazon Instant Viewing) - based on the Brian Moore novel, this 1973 film was set in a (then) near future where the Church has outlawed the Latin Mass. Sheen is a young, trendy, socially-conscious priest who is sent by his order to a remote monastery in Ireland to rein in an old abbot who still celebrates the Latin rite in defiance of Rome, and is drawing worldwide attention for doing so, and is suffering his own internal conflicts.

Thankfully, we can now read this as a sort of alternative history, parallel world that might have happened, but Moore wrote the novel at a time when it looked like the Latin Mass might cease to be celebrated. Great performances by both Sheen and Howard, beautiful location shooting on the bleak Irish coast. There aren’t too many films about liturgy and the Eucharist, this is worth seeing.

wow you guys are awesome! I watched For Greater Glory this morning after Mass, and i must say, i completely LOVED IT! to answer someones post, some that ive seen and loved:

the rite, exorcism of emily rose, the mission, romero, for greater glory, entertaining angels, et al. i can’t remember

Brian Moore also wrote Black Robe too, he was good writer for Catholics

Of Gods and Men.
The Secret of Kells (more ancient Celtic Christianity, as a cartoon).
Luther (16th century Catholicism though from Protestant angle).
The Exorcism of Emily Rose
The Exorcist
Dead Man Walking
Two Mules for Sister Sara
The Bells of St Mary’s
The Mission
Black Robe (somewhat graphic though)

I second Madaglan’s recommendation of “Of Gods and Men”.

I still have not seen it, but It is high-up on my “must view” list.

It has been widely acclaimed, see here:

ewtnnews.com/catholic-news/World.php?id=2738

here’s one. Already full length, enjoy! youtube.com/watch?v=ypbpAscKdVs

and here youtube.com/watch?v=slWTCrSnbmo&feature=related

I recently saw the subtitled movie “Of Gods and Men” about trappist monks in Algeria which if I am not mistaken is based on a true story. a great movie that I would recommend.

imdb.com/title/tt1588337/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.