MOVIES: Batman - Dark Knight

Woohoo! I’m so excited! I get to see The Dark Knight for free tonight! I’ve been looking forward to this movie for over 3 years

Please let us know how it is!

I saw it at midnight. Phenomenal film. Ledger’s Joker was chilling. Bale’s Batman was gritty, noble, and realistic. Eckhart’s Dent was tragic. Really, really great film.

I saw the screening for The Dark Knight last night. Here are some spoilers, so don’t read if you don’t want to know what happens.

What is left of the mob turns to the Joker to try and kill Batman, even though they know he has been targeting their banks in his robberies. After being paid to kill Batman, the Joker begins making demands that Batman turns himself in, unmasked, or people will die everyday that he refuses.

Nobody close to Batman is safe in this film. One character looks to have been killed, one character is killed and another becomes a villain almost as bad as the Joker.

Heath Ledger did an excellent job as the Joker. His Joker is much different than Jack Nicholson’s. Whereas the previous Joker was funny, while murderous and psychotic, this Joker is just…evil. He thinks himself as funny, but has no redeeming value whatsoever. At least one could sympathize with Jack Nicholson’s Joker because he was betrayed (although that character was a gangster to begin with).

The only really graphic part of the movie is nothing the Joker himself does, but what happens to the villain he helps create. When you first see this new villain’s face, it will shock you for a minute.

During the course of the film, Bruce Wayne debates whether it is worth it to continue being Batman even when Alfred encourages him to keep going. This struggle isn’t unlike Spider-Man’s struggle in Spider-Man 2, although Peter Parker wasn’t losing friends to enemies in that film like Batman was losing friends in this film.

Parents might want to preview this film before taking those under 13 just to be on the safe side.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it was better than Batman Begins.

I am so looking forward to seeing this. However, I hate crowds with a passion, so I’m going to wait a few weeks till the hype dies down.

What do you guys think about the moral message of this film? I was a little troubled at the end…

Or how about the way Batman uses “ends justifies the means” thinking in his pursuit of the Joker?

hmmm, skipped the spoiler posts, because I’m going to see it tonight!

I didn’t like the earlier Batman movies, but I thought Batman Begins was very good, so been looking forward to this one for awhile!

Wife is crazy about Christian Bale, she will probably see it tonight while I babysit and then vice versa tomorrow. Try and see at IMAX if you can, as some of the film (if not all?) was filmed in IMAX…

I’m in the same boat… but still processing everything that happened. :stuck_out_tongue: I think I’m really going to have to go see it again before deciding anything… there’s just so much there.

At any rate, I found two reviews that I thought were helpful:

[SPOILERS]========================================

pluggedinonline.com/movies/movies/a0004153.cfm

decentfilms.com/sections/reviews/darkknight.html

========================================[/SPOILERS]

Read Steven D. Greydanus’ review from Decent Films: decentfilms.com/sections/reviews/darkknight.html

I can’t WAIT to see it!!!

Thanks for posting those reviews - they give me some reassurance. I will definitely see this movie again, in IMAX this time. The last movie I went to see twice was Return of the King.

For all its moral ambiguities, I found *The Dark Knight *a stirring exemplification of Pope Benedict XVI’s words in Spe Salvi:

“A world that has to create its own justice is a world without hope.”

Movies like this show us that any true hope for redemption must come from beyond the capabilities of our broken humanity.

I thought it made for an enjoyable, dark movie. If you don’t try to look too deep and look for some sort of religious connotation, in a way, people do need hope. Is it ok to lie to give people hope? In that situation, it’s tough to say. Batman made himself a martyr for the peace of mind of the city, sacrificing himself for others. If anything, it did the comics great justice.

Ledger’s performance was awe-inspiring. He definitely nailed it, and is definitely worthy of a posthumous Oscar.

I find it encouraging to see so many professional movie critics saying the entire film should be up for a best picture nomination.

SLIGHT SPOILER BELOW

I like some of the moral message of the film, most notably the scene with the boats. Where both groups could not blow the other boat up. It said something about the heart, which I thought was inspiring. I loved when the prisoner grabbed the detonator and through it out the window, when all along u think he will activate it.
I don’t think the ending scene was intended to be a moral of the story moment like the boat scene was. The ending was intended to be more of an explanation of the title, how Batman can afford to be hated when he tries to do the right thing, because he is the hero Gotham needs him to be and not necessarily the one he wants to be. With that said, I was a little disturbed by them justifying the lie they intend to make everyone believe.

I loved it. It was the best Batman since the original. I like Batman, Dark Night and Batman Returns. The worst was George Clooney’s version. Even he admits it.

Ledger gave a great performance. Too bad it was his last. He was probably the best actor of this generation.

Hmm I can’t help but think that Joker is the personification of evil…irrational and nihilistic… someone who just wants “the world to burn”

Kudos to the late Heath Ledger for his superb portrayal of the Joker. As someone said in this thread…“Heath Ledger definitely nailed it” .:thumbsup:

What is the greater evil? The death of their faith or the lie?

By the way, I loved the movie. Best Batman ever.

Actually, his last film will be The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, a Terry Gilliam flick. And unfortunately, it was in the middle of production when Heath died…

LIGHT SPOILERS, in case anyone’s interested in seeing it and don’t want to know…

word is that Johnny Depp, Jude Law, and Colin Farrell jumped in afterwards to fill his place as the main character Tony, as the character is transformed in the story. Thankfully it’s a story that could be twisted to work in that way.

I love Gilliam, I just wish he could catch a break. :frowning:

Let’s try to keep the plot revealing or climax spoilers from the thread please, at least until the film hits the discount theaters or DVD.

Thank you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.