MOVIES: Catholics (The Conflict) - The movie

CATHOLICS - the movie …In the near future, the Catholic Church has joined with other western religions in an ecumenical movement that has washed out much of the original message of the true religion. A group of Irish monks have begun saying the mass again in Latin and have begun to have an international following. - Martin Sheen is sent from Rome to bring them to task.

Comments?

Its an interesting movie, pretty balanced view of contemplative life, but I don’t remember how it ends, so I can’t endorse/condemn it. (But it would come down to that, the arguments of both sides are clear and neither is favored, IIRC, until the end.) This would be a slight negative, of course, but since both arguments are given…

Overall I wouldn’t recommend it for those struggling with their faith, (or any rad-trads) or children. You could watch it with your teens, however, and would be decent conversation starter with a mixed group of Catholics.

I’ll post back after re-watching it.

I DID watch it and DO remember it very well.

Avoid like bubonic plague and ebola combined!

Martin Sheen did this movie well before he reconcilled back to the Church–I think he (liberal as he is) would wince at it now.

Essentially, some “councils” called Vatican 3 & 4 have incorporated the heresies of indifferentialism and “symbolic eucharist”. The abbot of this monestary has lost his faith, etc…

not at all sure that the movie’s creators intended this to be seen as a good thing … i think the character trevor howard plays, the abbot, speaks for the author and/or filmmaker in casting a skeptical eye on the new “improved” church’s abandonment of traditional catholic pieties.

also remember the scene when martin sheen is thrown out of a boat by a traditionalist-minded islander because he doesn’t believe sheen is a priest since he’s dressed in normal street clothes? i took that to be saying “see what happens when priests look like everyone else”.

still, the point could have been made a bit more forcefully, i’ll grant you that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.