[movies] Chronicle (MAJOR SPOILER)

SPOILER SPACE

Why didn’t Andrew use his new telekinetic powers to help his dying mother? He used his powers to protect himself against his alcoholic dad beating him up, but he didn’t do anything to try to save his mother a la “Superman II”? That was a major flaw in the storyline.

Also, was his family Catholic? He went to a public school, but you could see from his home life that his mother was Catholic.

1. I don’t know, perhaps he couldn’t? We do know from the film that they were able to use it to resist being hurt, but I don’t think we saw any acts of regeneration or whatnot, did we?
    The film doesn’t necessarily have to follow the rules for telekinesis that Superman II obeys. Since telekinesis doesn’t exist in real life, anything is fair game.

Another thing just in general… he seemed so hurt (and indeed he was) that he wanted to project his pain and anger… he was focused more on that than anything else.

1. I don’t know. There’s nothing to say one way or another. What made you think that his mother was Catholic? I saw a crucifix I believe, but is that all?

Telekinesis is the ability to move or manipulate objects with your mind. I don’t think he could have done anything for his mom, other than turn her so she could breath easier like he did. Besides, they needed an artistic trigger to push him over the edge to further the plot…:wink:

Side note: Anyone think this was a high budget remake of the movie “Glitch”?

There was this moment though (and it was brief and you could miss it easily) where they were using it “defensively” somehow. One of them says something about “imagine there’s a wall here [in front of your body]” or something to that effect.

However with that said I don’t think it ever showed them using it for regenerative purposes. It is possible they could have done that but simply weren’t aware they had the power (much the same as they didn’t realize they could fly right away).

I don’t really get how telekinesis can jive with regeneration/healing anyway, so I should probably watch Superman II and see what the original poster meant by that.

Unless you’re talking telekinesis down to the molecular level (which is an ability that is still usually depicted to require an insanely high level of power to even attempt), healing isn’t automatically on a telepath’s skill list. :stuck_out_tongue:

You’re the D&D expert here, aren’t you? I thought it fit somewhere in the Psionicist field but I don’t understand how. Oh yea… Psychometabolism, that’s what it’s called if I recall correctly. I don’t know how that’s explained though.

Do you ever critique people’s work? I kinda suck, maybe you could offer a pointer or two.

I only said ‘usually’ as a cautious safeguard. I don’t know much about psionics as I’ve never ‘dabbled’ into that style of magic. (Warlock has only been my favorite class due to unlimited powerz. :p)

However, I personally find it a bit scary when I think about the possibilities of telekinesis on the molecular level. Another case-in-point: Jean Grey (the movie version at least). Hence, it’s why I think such telekinesis has to be on some serious game-breaking level.

I do a bit but I’ve yet to compile sufficient enough assessment of my own work from others before I can be a total authority. XD

However, as to my personal opinion of the movie, I can’t say much cuz I have yet to watch it. The premise is nice but it’s still a bit cliche. I’ve spoiled it to myself by reading the summary on wiki and I can’t say I’m entirely pleased with what I’m reading. It’s like I managed to see everything from the trailer already. >:\

Just saw it. Thumbs up.

It reminded me a LOT of Carrie, and a little but of Akira. But it was different enough from both to be fresh and compelling on its own.

I really wished i had saved the money…I hate it when movies jump around like that. Teaches me to research it a little more.

Definitely reminded me of Carrie. (The original, w/ Sissy Spacek, for any youn’uns who think I’m referring to the dreadful remake.)

Pretty much. It’s the Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds trope. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you I have been wondering what Andrew’s blow up reminded me of and it only just clicked he is Tetsuo.

In my opinion the movie was OK, Cloverfield done right in regards to the camera, also the shots of Andrew alone just making the camera hover conveyed his loneliness well.

A few people I have spoken to said they were disappointing by the ending and the fact their powers were never explained. For the powers I read a lot of Stephen King and Lovecraft so I am used to plots where we dont get the whole story and your left to work it out. Also their nose bleeds reminded me of a manga called Gantz, where one guy is given similar powers by his master using his own powers to alter his students brain (basically allowing him to use more then the 10% of our brain we normally use) so I kinda filled in the blanks with that.

As for the ending I found it was enjoyable. A few people question the camera at the end and said it was only there to close the movie but when you consider Andrew lived seeing the world through that camera I think it was a symbolism of Andrew’s end of suffering. The ending is good as it is a ‘end or sequel’ kind of ending, where they can just leave it or make a sequel to it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.