MOVIES: Cloverfield

I just got back from seeing this movie, and it was awesome. I liked the Blair Witch Project with its use of a regular camera, and I think Cloverfield did a great job with it too. Im sure most of you have seen the trailer where theres a guy in NYC using a camera to film a party when this monster attacks new york. I really liked it because of its uniqueness, and if it was filmed like a regular movie, I dont think it would have been half as good. I would not reccomend this movie to people who have motion sickness, because you will not have a good time :o . and I wouldnt bring your kids either for some mature content, and for the fact that its supposed to scare you. All in all Id give it a 8/10, it was one of the few originals I have seen, but it was too short and the ending could have been better.

Just saw it too! Pretty good film! The monster was awesome, yet they only showed it enough to keep your appetite whetted for more. I hope the Cloverfield websites release more stuff for fans, such as revealing the fate of the monster and the city.

I am glad nothing was too overly mature… anything more would have been completely unecessary, but it was kept to a level that its still easy to forget that stuff and remember the awesomeness of the monster and the fight for survival.

imperfect movie reflects an imperfect world, thus the bad with the good… all in all a pretty cool movie :thumbsup:

Go look up cloverfield on wikipedia, you’ll find the answer of where IT came from and what happened to it.(the answer was in the movie) and I cant believe I missed it.

I just read that. Boy, talk about a spoiler. (Not your fault) In fact the only thing wikipedia didn’t give is a full description of the monster. Thanks anyway.

DH and I did not enjoy this movie at all. In fact, both of us almost became physically ill because of the camera jerking around. It was such a knock-off of the Blair Witch Project. How many more movies are going to show NYC getting destroyed by a giant creature? Enough already! I also found it a little shocking that this movie showed so many buildings collapsing in a post-911 world. Just goes to show how we’ve moved on so fast from such a tragedy.

sorry :o that link was meant for the poster who had already seen it.

So, are we not allowed to show buildings collapse in movies anymore?

I would not reccomend this movie to people who have motion sickness, because you will not have a good time

Can you elaborate?

If this movie is more like the Blair Witch Project with camera moving not steadily, I would not want to watch it. I didn’t like the Blair Witch Project at all.

Who said anything about not “being allowed?” Don’t be ridiculous.

The camera shakes a lot because it is supposed to look like an amateur video. My DH and I almost got sick from watching it. We had to close our eyes during some scenes.

Like in the Blair Witch Project?

Yea, so if you go see it, sit in the back, and try not to focus your eyes on one particular point on the screen.

Yep.

My husband, son, and I saw this today. DS had seen it opening night and begged us to go back with him.

I quite liked the movie – I knew full well that it bears a resemblance to Blair Witch Project, which I loved (even knowing it was fake). The falling buildings didn’t bother me – let’s be honest, there were many movies with planes crashing and buildings falling before 9/11, and there will be many more. It’s a horror movie staple.

I was prepared for the motion sickness. My son’s girlfriend actually got a migrane during the movie and had to close her eyes after the first 15 minutes or so. Being prepared, I knew that when the camera was too shakey, I had to focus on the seats in front of us, or somewhere off screen. It wasn’t a big deal, and it wasn’t constant. As a matter of fact, only the party scene at the beginning was particularly bothersome.

The camera used in this movie was supposedly an amateur home video camera. Those used in Blair Witch were supposedly professional quality (remember, they borrowed them from the film school). So the camera work in Cloverfield was shakier than anything in Blair Witch.

Regarding the origin of the monster, my husband actually caught the bit within the movie and brought it up on the way home – this is a guy who never catches details like that! And it completely makes sense in the context of the movie (and seeing the monster itself).

If you see it, stay to the very, very end – AFTER the credits are done. There is a very brief snippet of film that’s been the talk of the 'Net since Friday.

'thann

It was an AWESOME movie! I was sick to my stomach for the rest of the day due to the jerky camera work but it was worth it for such a great flick!

<< I was sick to my stomach for the rest of the day due to the jerky camera work but it was worth it for such a great flick! >>

Oh yeah, I vomited five times during the movie. Absolutely loved it! :smiley: :rolleyes:

Actually not bad, saw it twice. Now I’m gonna take my digital cam and make one of those.

Phil P

Oh yeah, I vomited five times during the movie. Absolutely loved it! :smiley: :rolleyes:

Seriously?

Comon guys! I want to see it but you are freaking me out!

I really dont know what everyone is talking about with the motion sickness. I get very bad motion sickness in cars, but I was pretty much fine for the entire movie except at times when the camera was shaking ridiculously.

<< Seriously? Comon guys! I want to see it but you are freaking me out! >>

Naw I didn’t vomit, and I sat near the front. If you have vertigo or equilibrium problems, take some dramamine :stuck_out_tongue: and sit in the back row.

Blair Witch does not compare. That movie had a shaky camera but was just a couple of kids running around yelling profanities at each other. :rolleyes:

Cloverbarf I mean Cloverfield actually had some decent acting and the monster was intriguing. ( B+ )

Phil P

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.