Movies for lawyers

Found this on Legal Writing Prof Blog, Top 20 Movies for Law Students:

To Kill a Mockingbird

Twelve Angry Men

Anatomy of a Murder

Kramer v. Kramer

Michael Clayton

etc.
It's an interesting list. Any more suggestions -- or suggestions for other professions?

Tell you what, the Australian movie 'The Castle' is incredibly popular among Australian lawyers and law students.

Most of us can relate to the bumbling, well-meaning but hopelessly-out-of-his-depth suburban hick lawyer Denis Denuto. Most of us aspire to be like the charming, funny and knowledgeable 'elder statesman' lawyer character of Lawrence Hammill.

Not to mention the feelgood victory-for-the-little-guys ending. Sadly it gave a lot of people an utterly inaccurate idea about where the law in Australia actually stands about Government acquisition of private property sigh.

And reading the comments reminded me about Legally Blonde - what a hoot that was.

Have to say that on the whole I enjoy TV series set in the legal profession more than movies - from the serious ones like the Law and Order franchise to the more oddball like Boston Legal. In fact I remember my criminal law prof saying 'guys, if you need help you can get in touch with me any time - except a Tuesday night, that's when Law and Order is on' :D

My first reaction when I saw this thread was Snakes on a Plane.

I guess that's not what you're looking for, though.

Hmm…This could be a very interesting thread.

My top ten:
Erin Brockovich (Julie Roberts)
My Cousin Vinny (Joe Pesci)
Inherit the Wind (Spencer Tracy)
12 Angry Men (Henry Fonda)
To Kill a Mockingbird (Gregory Peck)
Kramer v. Kramer (Dustin Hoffman and Meryl Streep)
Philadelphia (Tom Hanks)
Chicago (Richard Geere and the "old razzle dazzle)
Adam’s Rib (Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn)
Anatomy of a Murder (Jimmy Stewart)
A Few Good Men (Jack Nickolson and Tom Cruise and Demi Moore)
Judgement at Nuremberg (Spencer Tracy and Burt Lancaster)
The Verdict (Paul Newman)
The Paper Chase (John Houseman)
Gideon’s Trumpet (Henry Fonda)

Well, my top 15–I couldn’t drop any of these.

[quote="PoliSciProf, post:4, topic:183921"]

Erin Brockovich (Julie Roberts)

[/quote]

Good movie about how attorney's exploit the system and their clients.

1 Lawyer Movie of All Time - A Man For All Seasons

The true story of St. Thomas More, martyr!

**Winner of 6 Academy Awards including Best Actor, Best Director and Best Picture (1966)! Sir Thomas More (Paul Scofield), England's Roman Catholic Chancellor, is forced into a difficult position when corrupt King Henry VIII (Robert Shaw) demands his approval to divorce his wife and marry his mistress.

Torn between his conscience and duty to the crown, Sir Thomas chooses to say nothing, sparking the rage of the king. What unfolds is a battle of wills packed with palace intrigue, political brinksmanship and the fate of man, church and country. In the end, his silence spoke loudest of all.**

Rent it from Pius Media, a Catholic version of Netflix piusmedia.com/product_info.php?products_id=547

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

[quote="Mark77, post:6, topic:183921"]

**Winner of 6 Academy Awards including Best Actor, Best Director and Best Picture (1966)! Sir Thomas More (Paul Scofield), England's Roman Catholic Chancellor, is forced into a difficult position when corrupt King Henry VIII (Robert Shaw) demands his approval to divorce his wife and marry his mistress.

Torn between his conscience and duty to the crown, Sir Thomas chooses to say nothing, sparking the rage of the king. What unfolds is a battle of wills packed with palace intrigue, political brinksmanship and the fate of man, church and country. In the end, his silence spoke loudest of all.**

Rent it from Pius Media, a Catholic version of Netflix piusmedia.com/product_info.php?products_id=547

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

[/quote]

OMIGOSH! And I love all things St Thomas More so much too - how could I possibly forget this one? :doh2:

Al Pacino is in one. He plays a defense attorney who knows that his client is guilty. He gets fed up and reveals it in court. I can't remember the name, though.

[quote="Mark77, post:6, topic:183921"]

mark

[/quote]

And it has one of the all-time great line from any movie ever:
"But for Wales?"

[quote="Mary_Gail_36, post:8, topic:183921"]
Al Pacino is in one. He plays a defense attorney who knows that his client is guilty. He gets fed up and reveals it in court. I can't remember the name, though.

[/quote]

"...And Justice For All"

"You're out of order! You're out of order! The whole trial is out of order! They're out of order! That man, that sick, crazy, depraved man, raped and beat that woman there, and he'd like to do it again! He told me so! It's just a show! It's a show! It's "Let's Make A Deal"! "Let's Make A Deal"! Hey Frank, you wanna "Make A Deal"? I got an insane judge who likes to beat the **** out of women! Whaddya wanna gimme Frank, 3 weeks probation? "

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.