MOVIES: For The Bible Tells Me So

I haven’t seen the movie, and although it’s not explicity Anti-Catholic, it’s certainly not in line with Church teaching. It seems to be getting a lot of hype.

Has anyone seen this? What are your thoughts? How do you/we counter based on this?

I would consider viewing it, but I would like to know what I’m getting into first.

For the Bible Tells Me So

forthebibletellsmeso.org/index2.htm

I don’t know if it’s anti-Catholic, but from the description it appears to be attacking a straw man (any reference to “eating shrimp” is a clear sign of a straw man in this particular debate).

Edwin

How can we see this movie? I never heard of it.

Contarini, what if anything did they say that would inflame a catholic?

youtube.com/watch?v=ajBR0dq0XXk

Here is a link to give you an idea of what this is.

It sounds like this is regarding the Episcopal church more than any other, though any “Fundamentalist” is targeted as a bigot or uncharitable… so it appears.

I’m sure they will take many strikes at the Catholic Church as well.

sounded at first like Westboro Baptist but, as it went on it was clearly something else.

Wonder what Bishop Schori thinks of all this?:slight_smile:

Promoting this position actually is promoting hate towards marriage as a sacrament.

to add and the gift of celibacy

What a load of bunk.

Well, IMO I think it would be a good movie to see. God doesn’t teach us to hate one another, he teaches us to love as we love ourselves. My best friend is homosexual and though I don’t agree with the way chooses to live his life, he is one of the best friends I have ever had and who am I to judge him? Now, we don’t talk about his homosexual acts, he knows I don’t agree and he has no problem with being discreet around me. There is no saying that some homosexuals won’t repent someday and choose to live their lives in accordance with God’s Will. I’m testament of that! People say that bi-sexuality doesn’t exist but I assure you it does. From a very early age, I was attracted to both men and women and for some time, I acted upon those urges. But, if I can resist, anyone can. I guess my case might be a bit easier because I still had my attraction to men. A lot of other people believe that homosexuality isn’t genetic. Again, I am proof that it is. I NEVER chose to be attracted to women but unfortunately, it happens. I began having feelings probably as early as the age of 5. I didn’t even know what homosexuality was! Same for the friend I was talking about, he struggled very much when he completely realized he was gay (around 15). He did not want to be that way but there was nothing he could do to make him be attracted to women. I am in NO way condoning homosexual acts but for people to say that being homosexual is evil, I don’t buy it. I see it as a cross that the homosexual has to bear. Some choose to act on it, some choose to be true to God’s will and to resist the temptations. Sorry if I’m rambling, I’m pretty tired :frowning:

I have not seen the video, just that bit on youtube. Based on that, it seems they are characterizing all people who believe as you (and the Church does) do as bigoted.

I’m pretty sure the Church teaching say it’s not wrong to be homosexual*; it’s just sinful to act it out. As you said, it’s a cross to bear.

If they somehow believe that homosexuality is okay because it’s some rigid interpretation of scripture, then we one would rightly conclude that any sexual deviance (adultery, fornication, masterbation, contraception, etc. if mutually consented) would be okay, because that’s how they choose to view the Bible. (…of course the Church rejects Sola Scriptura anyhow.)

Most of them would disagree with this, but they can accept their own perspective without acknowledging the other perspective must be also be true, based on this foundation of reasoning.

Finally, unlike the haters in the video, most Christians reject homosexual acts (not the people) because they love them. “Hate the sin, love the sinner.” Jesus told the woman in adultery, you are forgiven; sin no more. Likewise, He would say the same to them…

Its premature at this point to speculate on their biblical interpretations to support any clearly expressed views on this.

I happened to focus on marriage as a sacrament, and celibacy.

Thank you JPII for Theology of the Body!

Wow, I guess they thought they absolutely had to take videos and quotes from extreme minority people in Christianity and use them as though that were the predominant Christian attitude towards the topic of homosexuality and God’s “attitude” towards them.

Talk about a straw man they set up to knock down.

Actually, that movie would probably be good to watch. With a grain of salt, of course.

My thoughts on the dude saying “The OT said to not eat shrimp” - Dietary laws and laws regarding human sexuality are categorically different. But they do have a common message - be holy by being separate. God’s people don’t do like the non-believers do.

I haven’t seen it–I was simply responding to the link. I could probably write a fair approximation of the script, though–anyone who’s been an Episcopalian for the past few years and not living under a rock could do so.

Edwin

Right. There are no fundamentalists in the Episcopal Church, but don’t tell the liberals that!

Edwin

Agreed.

Let us all know if you do see it though. I am interested.

Thank you

Looks mediocre in terms of its actual arguments. Check out the clever (invalid) logic on the front page:

Can the love between two people ever be an abomination?

A combination of a straw-man argument and an unproven enthymeme. The straw man argument is that Christians claim “the love between two people can be an abonination”; no Christian I know of has even claimed that. The hidden, unproven premise is that homosexual sex is act of (Godly) love; we claim it isn’t, and the director can’t use his belief as a premise for an argument until he proves it.

Is the chasm separating gays and lesbians and Christianity too wide to cross?

A second unproven enthymeme; the director assumes ithout proof that whatever chasm exists between Christianity and those who experience same-sex attractions is the “fault” of Christian doctrine rather than of men and women who refuse to live in the light of the truth.

Is the Bible an excuse to hate?

A third unproven enthymeme; the director assumes (without proof) that to claim that homosexual sex is evil is to hate people who experience same-sex attractions.

Winner of the Audience Award for Best Documentary at the Seattle International Film Festival, Dan Karslake’s provocative, entertaining documentary brilliantly reconciles homosexuality and Biblical scripture, and in the process reveals that Church-sanctioned anti-gay bias is based almost solely upon a significant (and often malicious) misinterpretation of the Bible. As the film notes, most Christians live their lives today without feeling obliged to kill anyone who works on the Sabbath or eats shrimp (as a literal reading of scripture dictates).

The Leviticus-against-itself (or Old Testament-against-itself) ploy has been refuted soundly, and use of the phrase “Church-snactioned anti-gay bias” betrays an ignorance of religious history.

Not impressive intellectually. Individuals who want to be misled will be; honest truthseekers who have had the gospel proclaimed to them well by loving Christians won’t be. The usual for this sort of propaganda.

Thanks for posting the links. I hadn’t heard about this movie. Can’t wait to see it now. I’ll definately post about it afterward.

What does shrimp have to do with homosexuality?

Kim

I am going to guess, “things unclean”?:confused:

With types like this, you have no idea how they will go about using the bible to support their position.

Who knows, its all speculation at this point.

The condemnation of homosexuality in Leviticus occurs as part of the “Holiness Code” containing prohibitions of various “unclean” acts, such as the eating of shellfish. The more sophisticated argument is that the context indicates that this is ceremonial law rather than part of the moral law. (And, of course, you can make a thoughtful argument against the moral/judicial/ceremonial division.) But what I usually hear is “if you accept one OT law you have to accept them all,” etc., with no apparent awareness of the Christian tradition of dividing OT laws into moral, ceremonial, and judicial.

Edwin

My parish is planning to show the movie “For the Bible Tells Me So”. Has anyone seen it? Are there any faith-filled reviews out there that you can refer me to? The flyer in the church bulletin says that it’s appropriate for middle school age and older, and I’m concerned about these young people watching a movie with a message that isn’t true to Church teaching. Thanks.

Frankly, it looks like bs on a popsicle stick. forthebibletellsmeso.org/film.htm

You can see a snippet of it at that link. It looks like it takes a kernal of truth (we are not to persecute homosexuals, examples of unjust persecution), in an attempt to smuggle in a pack of lies that it is morally acceptable to have homosex.

It also looks like it gives us the tired Leviticus homosex is an abomination, but so is eating shrimp, as if ritual law and moral law were the same thing. Basically, it’s *Sola Scriptura *turned against Sola Scriptura believers, which is ok as far as it goes, but we ain’t Bible Alone, is we?

The fact that it is adored by most of the secular reviewers should be the first warning sign.

Now, I’ll admit that there is a minute chance the film is acceptable. HOWEVER. There is enough here that if I were you, I would strenously insist that a pre-screening take place before showing it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.