MOVIES: Into Great Silence

March 30 MoMA @6:00pm.

Philip Groening’s “Into Great Silence” will make its New York debut on March 30 at the Museum of Modern Art in Manhattan.

Here is a link to a more complete schedule: Schedule

Any dates on a DVD release in the U.S.?

I hesitate to see it at the L.A. location (where i live) 'cause the venue is not one that attracts the most reverent audience…to put it lightly

I first heard about this film in Newsweek a while ago, & it looks so interesting. I would love to see it on DVD as well, because I do not live near any of the scheduled sites where it is being show.

The website of the American distributor says the DVD will be released
"towards the end of 2007". :frowning:
zeitgeistfilms.com/film.php?directoryname=intogreatsilence&mode=buyhomevideo

I just got to see this in Los Angeles this last weekend.

Wow! It was not a movie – it was an experience! I have so much admiration for those monks. Quite a life they live. It really shows how much in our secular lives is superfluous.

I really want to see this movie, but it is very unlikely that with four young kids at home I’ll be able to make the trek to manhattan for a for brief showings.

Yes, considering the movie is 3 hours long it would be tough :o

It’s playing at the Music Box in Chicago all this week.

Got my copy that I ordered through The New Liturgical Movement and we started watching it last night. Michael has thoughts

More…

If you haven’t seen this movie yet, please do! :slight_smile:

decentfilms.com/sections/articles/groning.html

I want to, but… where? How? When exactly will it be released on DVD? Is it still playing in any theaters?

-Rob

Rob, if you go to the “showtimes” link at the site it will give you the listings of where the film is/will be playing. I hope there is a location close to you. I saw it when it came to Charlotte, but it was only here for 5 days so you have to act quickly if you find a theatre. I think it’s schedule for DVD release in early '08.

Rob, a two-disk DVD will be released in the U.S. on October 23, 2007. zeitgeistfilms.com/film.php?directoryname=intogreatsilence&mode=buyhomevideo

The DVD is already available in Canada and the UK. I’m not sure about Australia or New Zealand.

I’ve been looking forward to this film for the past 18 months. I finally get to see it tomorrow! :extrahappy:

As FCEGM has mentioned, here is the link to the movie’s show dates:
zeitgeistfilms.com/playdates.php?directoryname=intogreatsilence

i have it in my netflix queue, but they don’t have an ETA for it yet :frowning:

I was lucky enough to catch it in the theaters and it was great – like I was there.

If you can’t catch it in the theaters and watch the DVD be sure to recreate the theater setting – i.e. lights off, biggest screen possible, no interruptions, etc.

By the end you will feel so connected and peaceful.

It was an experience, not a film.

I heard it was great. Some Methodist members of a religious order were talking about the film and spoke highly of it.

Wish it would come to blockbuster.

Rev North

Does it have aliens, giant robots, or car-crashes?:smiley:

Must have the DVD…:hypno:

For those who enjoyed this movie, I just started reading a book called, “An Infinity Of Little Hours” Has anyone read it? (Any feedback?)

So far it seems to be a respectable account of five men who entered the Carthusian Order. I am only about 50 pages in but I like it so far and, like the movie, it gives you an inside look into a Charterhouse.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.