MOVIES: Julia & Julia

Has anyone seen it yet? How is it?

I haven’t seen it yet, but I plan to. It looks adorable! :popcorn:

A friend took her 12 yr old. Not sure what the content was, but mom was embarrassed and 12 yr old thought one ought to be 14 or 15 to see it!

I saw this with my 24 year old, married daughter last week at a preview.

We both simply adored the movie, as did the rest of the audience. Rarely does an audience break into applause, but they did, at several points in the movie and at the end. Meryl Streep, as always, was astonishing, and Amy Adams was appealing and funny. They are never on screen together, as the real Julie and Julia never actually met.

It is the story not only of how cooking changed the life of each woman, but also of two strong marriages. Both couples clearly have healthy sexual relationships, though nothing is shown, just suggested. There is, I believe, one use of the “F” word; it was so unexpected that the audience burst into laughter.

The portrayal of Paris is luscious, and that whole late 1940s, 1950s era is portrayed beautifully; the borough of Queens doesn’t compare too well!

There are some utterly hilarious scenes; all in all, I found it delightful.

That said, I looked up the blog written by Julie; she seems to be nothing like the adorable character played by Amy Adams. If I’d read the blog, or the book, first, I might not have been so eager to see the movie. Thankfully, I hadn’t.

My daughter gave me the book to read and I have to admit, I couldn’t finish it. I suffered through the first 100 pages then gave it back to her.

We do plan on seeing the movie, because from what I have seen from the previews the book is nothing like the movie.

I am a man, and I am absolutely *** dying *** to see this movie !!
Normally, such a film I would classify as a “chick flick” and let the ladies have
an afternoon or evening going to see it while I did something else.

But the previews of Meryl Streep portraying Julia Child have me
howling with laughter. I remember Julia Child very well, her signature voice,
her unintentionally campy humor, her other unintentional humor (such as dropping plates, dropping bowls of sauce, tripping over an extension cord, etc) which all made Julia Child a joy to watch. Meryl Streep has me roaring with laughter. I plan to see this just as soon as I am able.

I saw it this past weekend with my daughter (26) and we both loved it. There were a couple of inappropriate scenes (not horribly graphic) but why, oh why, do we have to throw in a bit of sex (sigh) - would have been totally just as good (even better really) without it!

And I agree with the above poster…I came home and checked out the blog and was not impressed. Lots of horrible language and a not really nice tone. The girl that played her portrayed a sweet girl so the blog sort of ruined it for me.

Meryl Streep…deserves in Oscar! Awesome as always!

I’d like to see it, but haven’t yet. Hubby and sons aren’t interested, though my 13-year-old daughter has a mild interest. I’m not going to take her, though, after reading the review at Kids in Mind and also reading that a 12-year-old thought one should be 14 or 15 to see it. Guess I’ll ask a friend to go.

Here’s the link to the review at Kids in Mind: kids-in-mind.com/j/julie&julia.htm

I’m a guy who just turned 65 and must say in terms plain and simple that the movie was downright fun and funny. Never a dull moment and very well put together in terms of meshing two true life stories at the same time. Meryl Streep was incredible as usual, and Amy Adams thoroughly engaging. If there were any downside, it would probably be a couple, I thought, unnecessary F-bombs toward the very end of the movie. Bottom line, money well spent.

My daughter and I went last weekend and although there were a couple of unnecessary steamy scenes and a couple of sexual remarks that made us blush, it was by far one of the most wholesome secular movies put out yet. It portrayed two healthy, loving marriages amongst all of the other wonderful and accurate reports you’ve read…it was exquisite. I would even go again. Now if Hollywood could just leave out the unneccessaries…it would have been PERFECT.

I think Meryl Streeps very best EVER.

I saw the movie a week ago and loved it! Meryl Streep truly deserves an Academy Award. It would be wonderful if Hollywood could read the above posts. Maybe we would get better movies, not the ones they produce for fourteen-year-old boys! :slight_smile:

A terrific, funny, well-written and superbly acted film. Rated not for kids at - a few scenes to blush over, as mentioned earlier, but none of the common ratings trick of presenting sex-for-the-sake-of-sex. A sweet, sweet film.

My wife saw it and said I would like it.

I hope to see Stanley Tucci nominated for best actor in a supporting role.

Hi everyone, this is Irvin…I have not replied because I an not tech smart and I do not know the “in and out” of how to get involved in a forum etc…I will keep working at it…I so love my Catholic faith that I just want to discuss and learn all that is out there…Irvin

Welcome, Irvin! :thumbsup:

Anybody else enjoy this movie? I especially liked seeing marriage portrayed in a positive light!

I would like to see the movie…glad to hear its good :slight_smile:

I really enjoyed the movie. It is a long movie, but it keeps your attention. I love the scene (this scene has been shown on tv talk shows) where Julia chopped a mountain of onions and her husband comes in and is nearly kicked out of the room from the smell of the onions. :rotfl: When you see how much butter they use, you can feel your arteries hardening!

Thanks for the info. I’m going to see it tonight. Meryl Streep is my favorite actress - what talent !!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.