MOVIES: Mary the Mother of the Christ

Watch the video and leave a comment

The trailer is based off the Passion of the Christ, which might also explain its name. The video could be a hoax, but I doubt it. At any rate, I hope this movie is like the video series Jesus of Nazareth: based on the Gospels and spiritually wealthy. I hope it’s not like the Passion of the Christ: based on private revelations and spiritually a shipwreck (sensationalization of the suffering of Christ).

Interestingly enough, the movie title is very Orthodox: Mother of the Christ. Catholics call Mary the Mother of God, but Orthodox call Mary the Mother of Christ. Different theology, different terms. Still, the title could just be a tip of the hat to the Passion movie. We’ll just have to see!

Certain of those private revelations are very moving (eg. Mary mopping up the blood of her Son after the scourging). I think they enriched the film. Also, the entire purpose and focus of the Crucifixion is suffering in atonement for sins. It was entirely suitable that this should be the main theme of the film.

Interestingly enough, the movie title is very Orthodox: Mother of the Christ. Catholics call Mary the Mother of God, but Orthodox call Mary the Mother of Christ. Different theology, different terms. Still, the title could just be a tip of the hat to the Passion movie. We’ll just have to see!

I don’t think the title is orthodox at all. I believe that “Mother of Christ” was in fact the title proposed by the heretics at the Council of Ephesus before it defined Mary as the Mother of God.

Also, the Orthodox call Mary “Theotokos”, which means “Mother of God”.

Private revelations don’t automatically mean bogus revelations-it just means that you are not OBLIGATED to believe them.
I don’t think the suffering of Christ CAN be underestimated.“Spiritual Shipwreck”.What nonsense.:rolleyes:

Gotta love that Robert Powell. For years he shaped my concept of Jesus. Jesus of Nazareth is a good film for kids. I remember my eight year old son remarking in awe, “That is so powerful”.

Some people need the Passion. I think it is for people who have walked a darker path and can relate to it. Mel Gibson is a violent guy, that’s for sure.

I don’t think we should judge them on personal taste, though.

Gibson’s portrayal of the scourging is, unfortunately, closer to the truth than the usual portrait of Jesuson the cross with a few dabs of red pain here and there. A Roman scourging would flayt a man alive. Most likely Jesus died of shock, with the hanging on the cross simply the final indignity. Note that the soldiers were surprised that he was dead after only three hours. A crucificied man might live for days. The Gospel accounts of His suffering do not dwell on the details, because all the readers KNEW from personal exposure how brutal Roman executions were. The cross outside of Mother Angelica’s shrine is quite sobering. The fact is that we don’t what to think about the reality such things. Take up your cross and follow me. To most of us that is more like putting with with arthritis. Old Buddhist saying:
when you come to a cross-road, take the harder way. Even they see more plainly than some of us Christians.

We must be careful with this title, both Mary Mother of Jesus and Mary Mother of Christ are heretic titles. Mary Mother of God showed who Jesus was in one both man and God. the other two mean Jesus was just man. Mary is centeral to telling who Jesus is as God made Himself take flesh through the womb of Mary. Awesome!!! This title Mary Mother of God is cause for great joy. Praise to the Church Fathers for listening to the Holy Spirit and giving us a title we could understand yet meditate for years on.
Christ Peace to all:byzsoc:

I looked it up on IMDB. The title listing there is “Mary Mother of Christ” It lists “Myriam, Mother of the Christ” as the original script title. No cast are listed, just some of the crew. The director is Alejandro Agresti, an Argentinian director. He’s won a bunch of international film awards, and his last film was “The Lake House”.

<><

But you’re certainly judging them in other ways,right?:rolleyes:

I think that the literal translation of Theotokos is “Bearer of God”

Yep, God bearer.

In fact ‘God bearer’ is probably more correct to say than ‘Mother of God’ for this reason. But this is just a translation issue.

Also, it’s likely to be a hoax, and if not just an amateur film.
That’s just judging by that video of course.

EDIT: it’s not an actual trailer, so I’m probably wrong up there. I just saw the MGM logo…

Huh? What does that mean. I think some people like to be controversial just for the fun of it. I loved both movies. But, each speaks to us in a different way. Lighten up. :slapfight:

“Some people need the Passion. I think it is for people who have walked a darker path and can relate to it. Mel Gibson is a violent guy, that’s for sure.”

If that’s not judging people I don’t know what is.

You’re comment as above is a non-sequitor to my observation.

With all due respect, Soutane, I don’t think you know what you are talking about. You are making a mountain out of a molehill. Are you trying to be deliberately contentious? Get a grip.

All Mel’s films have a lot of violence in them. It seems to be cathartic to him. I know some people who can’t stand his stuff because it is “over the top” to them. But, as someone observed, for Jesus, it probably was as bad as he portrayed it to be. It certainly wasn’t how it was in Jesus of Nazareth. My point was that each film has its merits and will have different appeal to different people.

I remember an interview with Mel after “Braveheart” was released. He mentioned that for all the violence that was in that film, he could not honestly portray some of the things that people did to each other at that time. At the very least, the film would have had an “X” rating; at the worst, it would never have been released.

<><

Didn’t see any movie trailer there, just some artist redention of the Blessed Mother holding the Baby Jesus, however, I did note that she looked like she was thinking this:
“You want me to entrust HIM to THOSE people”?

I also strongly disagree with you OP when you said this:
“I hope it’s not like the Passion of the Christ: based on private revelations and spiritually a shipwreck (sensationalization of the suffering of Christ)”.

My opinion, the Passion of the Christ was one of, if not the most awesome movie I have ever witnessed, I believe it was sadly, most accurate.

I agree - I don’t think it was sensationalized at all - it probably was much worse. The Roman soldiers were trained barbarians.

~Liza

Camilla Belle, who is onscreen in “Push,” which opens Friday, has been cast as Mary. Jonathan Rhys Meyers will take on the double role of Gabriel and Lucifer, while Peter O’Toole is set as Symeon, who meets Mary and her family in the temple shortly after Jesus’ birth.

The filmmakers are seeking Al Pacino and Jessica Lange for the respective roles of Herod and Anna the Prophetess.

Argentinean director Alejandro Agresti (“The Lake House”) will direct the film, scheduled to begin shooting in May in Morocco with production partner Dune Films. Benedict Fitzgerald, who co-wrote “Passion,” wrote the “Mary” screenplay with Barbara Nicolosi.

Mary Aloe and Rodrigo Berlanga are producing. The executive producers are Mike Dolan, Mauricio Sanchez and James Volk.

Although New Line recently told the story of Jesus’ birth in “The Nativity Story,” released in December 2006, to modest boxoffice returns, Aloe said of her project: “This is not a Christmas movie. This is a part of Mary’s life that has never been shown on the big screen before. It takes us through Mary’s youth, young love, her life as a new mother and the triumph through the absolute terror of Herod the Great’s reign. It is truly a story of real female empowerment.”

Source: churchofthemasses.blogspot.com/2009/02/its-official-mary-mother-of-christ.html

If Al Pacino’s in it, I’m watching.
(Just in case you wonder where my priorities are.) :wink:

"Mel Gibson is a violent guy,that’s for sure"is a LITTLE bit different than saying his movies are violent.I’m not being overly critical,I merely thought it was a rather judgmental thing to sayand I called you on it.I have been called on some of the more outrageous things that I have said in these forums and it has helped me to gain some personal insight and humility.:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.