MOVIES: Millions

I just saw a preview last night at the movies for a flick that just looks amazing. It’s called Millions. The description:

Starting anew after the death of their mother, 9-year-old Anthony is ever practical, while his 7-year-old brother Damian uses imagination, fantasy, and faith to make sense of his confusing world. When a suitcase full of money falls out of the sky at Damian’s feet, it sets the boys on the adventure of a lifetime that leads them to realize that true wealth has nothing to do with money

That doesn’t really give it justice, though. Damian’s fantasies (although without seeing the movie, I can’t say for sure, but I think they may be real visions) are of people like St. Francis, St. Clare, St. Peter, and other greats. He thinks God gave him the money to save the world. Anthony is a normal boy, and just wants to spend his windfall. The movie looks just wonderful. I’m a sucker for accents, and the boys speak with an adorable accent (Scottish, to my ears).

Obviously see it yourself before taking the kids, but this is one movie I’m looking forward to seeing!

Where did you hear about this movie, and when is it going to be released? This sounds great.

I have been looking forward to this since I first saw the trailer online a few months ago. If you have Quicktime you can watch the trailer here The trailer is stunning. I nearly cried the first time I saw it. The reviews I’ve read so far have been very strong.

No guarantees on how family-friendly this movie will be though. The director is Danny Boyle whose last film was a zombie flick (the surprisingly good “28 Days Later”) and who is also famous for the drug-ridden “Trainspotting”.

Saw a trailer in the theater last weekend, and I think it comes out next month.

It comes out March 11, I believe, in limited release…

We just saw the movie Millions. It was excellent - very Pro Catholic. The story is about a little boy who finds a LOT of money and wants to give it away to the poor - which is not as easy as it seems. He is so full of faith, this little boy and he has several encounters with Saints who he already knows all about. He is continually wanting to do the right thing & be pleasing to God. I won’t give any more away but it was very touching & sweet. One thing, the movie is rated PG and there is one brief scene of an unmarried man & woman waking up in bed and another scene of a boy looking at an add for bras, so you can decide for yourself if your kids are old enough to see that.

[quote=carol marie]We just saw the movie Millions. It was excellent - very Pro Catholic. The story is about a little boy who finds a LOT of money and wants to give it away to the poor - which is not as easy as it seems. He is so full of faith, this little boy and he has several encounters with Saints who he already knows all about. He is continually wanting to do the right thing & be pleasing to God. I won’t give any more away but it was very touching & sweet. One thing, the movie is rated PG and there is one brief scene of an unmarried man & woman waking up in bed and another scene of a boy looking at an add for bras, so you can decide for yourself if your kids are old enough to see that.
[/quote]

Is this out in theaters? Or just DVD?

I am kind of out of it…sounds great…is it at theaters or on video?

It’s in theaters but we had to hunt around to find one playing it. I hadn’t heard of it but I read about it on the movie review site we use… www.movieguide.org

[quote=carol marie]We just saw the movie Millions. It was excellent - very Pro Catholic. The story is about a little boy who finds a LOT of money and wants to give it away to the poor - which is not as easy as it seems. He is so full of faith, this little boy and he has several encounters with Saints who he already knows all about. He is continually wanting to do the right thing & be pleasing to God. I won’t give any more away but it was very touching & sweet. One thing, the movie is rated PG and there is one brief scene of an unmarried man & woman waking up in bed and another scene of a boy looking at an add for bras, so you can decide for yourself if your kids are old enough to see that.
[/quote]

Oh GOOD! :slight_smile: I have been watching the trailer numerous times On Demand because I want to cry everytime I watch it…the trailer!! It looks like a lovely film full of hope and goodness. I was reading a review by someone who saw it (not a film critic but just a regular joe like you or i) and he/she said it was a bunch of disturbing right wing Christian junk (not exact words but close enough). They said that there isn’t any darkness to this film which made it ‘far from teh truth’. People can be such pessimists!!! :frowning:

i saw the trailer and it looked really good. i don’t know where it’s playing though…

We just rented this movie last week and I wanted to recommend it to everyone. It is a British movie about a two young brothers who find a large bag of money. The younger brother believes that it is from God and finds many ways to give it to poor people. He sees many saints in the movie who give him great advice. I thought the movie had a good message for my two young boys, except for a few impure parts I had to fast forward through, and really enjoyed how the writers included wonderful Catholic Saints (except that one was shown smoking a cigarette).

We rented that movie a few weeks ago. We all loved it (kids ages 8-11). The saints were marvelous. I especially loved the African martyrs.

My kids also commented on the saint who smoked but they said she couldn’t because she was a nun. :smiley: Unfortunately, my kids have very little experience with nuns. I knew a lot of smoking nuns in the “old” days.

I loved the line, “We tried to give it to the poor but it’s HARD.”

We liked it alot too. The **only **thing I didn’t like was Saint Peter’s explanation of the Loaves and fishes :(. I don’t know why people can’t just accept miracles. It weakened the movie for me.

yea, the Loaves & Fishes interpretation was sooo modern new-theology. I loved the smoking St Clare.

Must try to find this movie, sounds good.
Whats all the fuss about a smoking saint? poitical correctness on smoking is a new concept and smoking is not a sin.
Why St Padre Pio was known to take snuff and during Holy Mass!
God bless :yup:

I smoke and I consider myself a saint-in-training. I heard that during the conclave, the Cardinals could be seen smoking during their breaks. And of course we all know that our Catechism states smoking is not a sin.

This movie was so brilliant. If I wasn’t grinning like a fool, I was crying like one.

Ah, the modern theology of the loaves and fishes. Yes, I had to bite my pillow on that one.

Highly recommend!

My conncern about the smoking is that my sons were watching the movie and I am trying to teach them that they should not smoke. It does not send a good message when a Saint is portrayed as smoking. It is almost like God is endorsing it.

You can order the film on DVD from wal-****.com or other regular retailers in widescreen or full screen formats. My sister rented it over T-giving and I loved it so much that I got it from my mother for Christmas. I also just gave a copy to a friend whose father recently passed away. I was sitting in adoration and I asked God to give her a sign if He was so inclined that her father was with Him. The next thing that popped into my head in the middle of my rosary was to give her this movie. It would be just the sort of thing that she and her father would have enjoyed together. I don’t know if God answered my prayer that quickly, but I at least hope it gave her a smile during a sad time.

There is one little bit where the older brother is looking at a women’s lingerie catalogue on his home computer and the boys have an innocent little discussion about “What are nipples?” and what are they for. The explanation was about how that is how mother’s feed their babies, nothing sexual. However, I’ve seen some online reviews where some people were SO shocked and appalled that this was in a family movie. Just FYI, you might get a small discussion out of that scene that is worthwhile or an awkward one when the father gets caught in bed with someone. It does make sense in the story because it explains the older boy’s continued anger, but it would be a better discussion point for older kids.

Overall, I just loved this movie including the “smoking” nun. As another poster commented, I had more trouble with the loaves and fishes explanation. This was an “explanation” of the miracle that I had heard some Protestant minister use previously.

the scene from “the morning after” does not treat it as business as usual and there is a sense of shame on the fathers part.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.