MOVIES: "October Baby"

For the last several weeks, it seems that the mainstream media has been having a sensationalism frenzy over the Trayvon Martin case. And while the death of this young boy is a tragedy, such an event is not unexpected in a culture that exists in the moral darkness of its sins. It is just one more entry to the list of senseless killings that happen all to frequently.

But what can you expect form a society that has embraced the culture of death, and legalizes the murder of unborn children (4,000 per day), and now proposes to extend these atrocities with a new form of child murder known as post-birth-abortion: the killing of children up to three years old. One might ask this question: how many of those, who claim to be outraged by the death of this young boy, are staunch supporters of Planned Parenthood’s right-to-choose philosophy? How many of these people will vote to keep our most pro-abortion president in power this November? They just don’t get it

How many of these people will (or have) see and rave about the morally sick, new movie “Hunger Games”, which is promoted as a great film for young people. Well, if you want your children to learn how to murder people, then I guess HG is the film for you – a teen version of the gladiator games of ancient Rome.

Yes, we truly live in a world of moral darkness. However, occasionally, a light pierces that darkness. On the same day that “Hunger Games” opened and rose to the # 1 spot at the top of the charts, another new movie also opened and took the # 3 place, just below “Hunger Games” in terms or revenue per theater. Contrary to “Hunger Games” however, this other film is a beautiful affirmation of life, and the virtues of love and forgiveness.

“October baby” is truly one of the great stories of our time. It is a beautiful portrayal of love, healing and forgiveness. It is a moving and powerful story of a young college girl, and her search for the truth, the truth as to why she is alive - and the answer she finds. It is based on a true story, which shows how the mercy of God can come to us in the most unexpected and unimaginable ways.

It is an exceptional piece of film-making, with a wide appeal to both young and old, although, the main focus of the film is on young people. Young people (teens & young adults) need to see this movie. It is one of the most powerfully, moving, emotionally gripping films I’ve ever seen. The action is fast paced, and the script is very well written. The acting is superb, and the message of healing and forgiveness is life changing. The young woman who played the part of 19-year-old Hannah was very realistic. I never once felt like she was “acting” the part. She was amazing.

While it is a serious film, the seriousness is not overdone, and is nicely counterbalanced with many light- hearted and humorous moments in the script. The film also provides very good role model examples, as to how young men should treat and respect women. It is a stark contrast to “Hunger Games”, and far superior to it.

“October Baby” is truly a light in the darkness, the darkness of the culture of death in our society. If more young people would see it, perhaps we would all see fewer “Trayvon Martin” stories on the evening news.

***** Five star Rating

octoberbabymovie.net/

youtube.com/watch?v=fyO373DwR_w&feature=relmfu

I haven’t read The Hunger Games, but I think a lot of people here actually like the series, so you might not get the best responses with your title.

Non sequitur

The death of Trayvon Martin had nothing to do with the success of the Hunger Games or of the abortion culture. It has much more to do with reckless vigilantism through armed Neighborhood Watches and Racism.

Finally if you’ve even seen the trailer you’d know that the Hunger Games has a protagonist who selflessly volunteers in place of her younger sister and that these games are not glamorized but meant to show the horror that a society can fall too in terms of the acceptance of violence, vanity, and gluttony. In fact you could say the dystopian society of the Hunger Games shows the hypocrisy of our own society.

You ignorant bigot.

if you actually took the time to READ The Hunger games instead of immediately jumping to conclusions, you’d SEE that the book does nothign to cover up how grotesque, unwanted and hateful the games are. It’s highlighted CLEARLY as being evil, immoral, and shows very explicitly how it tears people apart.

Yeah, seems like the poster just wanted to throw out some buzzwords and popular topics to try to market some film. Odd. I’m pretty sure The Hunger Games has nothing to do with the tragic death of Trayvon.

Did you even see the movie? Murder in a film doesn’t promote murder. It shows an Orwellian future society that is morally decayed. It’s about class warfare because of the rich exploiting the poor, it’s about how media and especially reality TV are all inauthentic, it’s philosophical because of the theme of hope being used to suppress and oppress.

As for October Baby, it has bad reviews, so I’ll skip it

I’d suggest we remember to avoid personal attacks (and uncharitable language) in our responses to all other posts.

The book “The Hunger Games” was thought-provolingly disturbing - I want to see the movie.

“October Baby” has been highly recommended by a Catholic friend who has opinions that I respect, so maybe don’t rule the movie out completely. I’d like to see it - if it comes out where I am.

Zeland, sorry to sound harsh, but this looks like spam dressed up as a post.
Second, it isn’t news, it should be in Popular Media.

The Hunger Games isn’t Battle Royale. The whole point of that movie is that the Roman gladitorial style battles are dehumanizing and wrong. Its something that the villains are responsible for.

Dear Gift from God

Whose reviews are you reading, the secular press? They hate October Baby and are scared to death of it - as Bill Donohue of the Catholic League pointed out.

FYI Below is a link to 600 good reviews from those who have seen the movie.
fandango.com/octoberbaby_148879/moviereviews**

And, for the sake of the discussion, lets assume that your position is correct and I am wrong, and that HG is just a reflection of our society. Do we need such a movie to mimic our culture. We can look at our culture and see how bad it is. Neither Our society or HG is very uplifting. I left the theater after seeing October Baby feeling very uplifted and positively refreshed. I walked out of Hunger Games feeling depressed.*

Dear Didymus

Thnks for the note. I never noticed that category before.

Well, except it had little to do with reckless vigilantism through armed Neighborhood Watches and Racism and much more to do with the personal biases of reporters and editorial positions of media outlets covering the story who chose to cast it as such.

This bias drove them to edit a tape casting Zimmerman as racist by voluntarily describing the persons race. He actually provided this information in response to a direct question from the dispatcher.

It drove them to deliberately lie about the police station video tape. Reporting that it showed no injuries on Mr. Zimmerman when in fact it did.

It drove them to ignore the only actual eyewitness stating the positions of the two men- and who indicated that it was Mr. Zimmerman calling for help.

It drove them to state that there was a racist comment on the tape, which is now described as a statement on the temperature.

They failed to provide the information on how Mr. Zimmerman was known for having publicly and persistently supported the case of a black homeless man who had been beaten by the police chief’s son.

They failed to report that Mr. Zimmerman was known for volunteering his time to tutor black children.

It drove them to cast Mr. Zimmerman as white, vice a hispanic from a multi-racial family.

It drove them to indicate Mr. Zimmerman as having made over 50 calls to the police in 14 months when they actually occurred over a period of 5 years.

It drove them to report Mr. Zimmerman as 250 lbs and bigger than Mr. Martin when he’s 4" shorter and about 20 pounds heavier.

It drove them to use pictures of Mr. Martin at a much younger age, and the booking photo of Mr. Zimmerman vice comparable photos.

Vigilantism doesn’t involve calling the police and requesting their presence. The law in the US is that the police have no obligation to protect individuals and it is the individual’s responsibility to protect themselves. Florida law provides a process for law-abiding citizens to carry firearms for self-defense. Not as vigilantes. There is no indication that Mr. Zimmerman ever drew his weapon for any other purpose, i.e. to intimidate or detain (brandisging a weapon is a crime in and of itself), or any other ‘Neighborhood Watch’ function.

All that being said, I wasn’t there. I have no idea what happened. I have no idea whether the shooting was justified or not. I have no idea whether the facts as described above will change yet again, or whether additional facts will come to light. But, the obvious bias in the reporting of this story and the ill informed comments by politicians and other public figures based on the erroneous information reported in the press is also a tragedy. It is encouraging additional violence and hate crimes. It is certainly making it much harder for any kind of even-handed and fair assessment and decisions on charging/trial.

@styrgwillidar

Well personally I’ve never had a neighborhood watch in any of the suburbs I’ve lived in so I don’t know how much power they have in the suburb, but the man seemed to stalk Trayvon out of suspicion (Out of Race?,how he was dressed? IDK) even when the police told him to back off and let them handle it.

I know this is only part of the OP, but I’m going to speak to his criticism of the Hunger Games. Having read all three books and now having watched the movie I must agree with the other posters in this thread to say that the hunger games does not promote violence in any respect. In fact, I saw the book as a means fir the author to speak up against violence and war through showing some of the horror that follows upon it not just from physical harm but also from emotional and psychological harm and after effects upon people. I actually thought Suzanne Collins insight into the psychological trauma that accompanies such violence was very perceptive and thought provoking. Yes, the books, and the movie, are somewhat traumatic. I certainly would advise caution about allowing children to read them as it could be very traumatic for them depending on how mature they are. However, the idea that either the books or the movie encourage, promote, or even allows people to subconsciously revel in violence is not correct. I was actually hesitant to view the movie at first because I was afraid that a visual representation of the violence would subconsciously draw people into the violence, as is so often the case, however, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that much of it was done in such a way ad to portray the violence in a very removed sort of way which did not over-emphasize it or draw the watcher into it, but instead tried to distance the viewer so that they were all the more aware of the horror of what was happening. I alsothink that people should definitely read the book if they are going to watch the movie, because, as always, there is much in the book that could not be portrayed in the movie, which emphsizes even more than the movie by itself the horror of what is going on. I think this series is an excellent commentary for us today as it attempts to bring home the horror of violence and it’s long lasting aftereffects, physical, emoional, and psychological. Which is important for society today especially because, as was noted in the OP, we live in a culture of death today which must be overturned. Perhaps the horror emphasized with respect to the killin of children will help prevent the obvious follow up of abortion, infanticide, from becoming legal in the states, who knows?

Well, again here’s the problem. We don’t know. There are conflicting stories as to whether he went back to his car after the dispatcher said, “We don’t need you to do that.” is that an order to cease? Neighborhood watches are just private citizens who, as far as I know, simply have the right to report activity they deem suspicious. He told the dispatcher:

Zimmerman: This guy looks like he’s up to no good. Or he’s on drugs or something. It’s raining and he’s just walking around, looking about.

Dispatcher: OK, and this guy — is he black, white or Hispanic?

Zimmerman: He looks black.

Both had a legal right to be where they were, Trayvon to simply walk around, Zimmerman to follow him until the police arrived. Legally stalking is something that occurs over a period of time- not a one time event.

The situation is a mess. On the other side of things are folks trying to bring up alleged activities by Trayvon. Again, irrelavent to the incident. Even a criminal has a right to self-defense, if accosted/attacked by someone they have a right to defend themselves. It’s why you can’t pull out a weapon unless you are actually in immediate danger, pulling the weapon constitutes a threat to the other person, from which they can legally defend themselves. It really comes down to the actual confrontation between the two, who struck the first blow, who continued the conflict etc. If you’re attacked and manage to best your attacker to where they are no longer a threat, or indicate a desire to stop the conflict you no longer have a right of self defense since there is no longer anything to defend against.

If Zimmerman accosted Trayvon, and Travyon believed he was in imminent peril, than Trayvon’s actions in taking Zimmerman to the pavement were justified. If the witness is correct that it was Trayvon on top of Zimmermn, even Trayvon’s continued bashing of Zimmerman’s head against the pavement is justifiable if Trayvon hasn’t seen a clear indication that Zimmerman is no longer a threat. So, Trayvon is fighting with a reasonable fear he’s in imminent danger and Zimmerman is pulling a gun because he’s in a reasonable fear of imminent danger. Conflicts are muddled, confusing things, with advantage/disadvantage changing from second to second. Avoidance of conflict is a good practical policy in my mind. You never lose the fight you avoid. Or to quote Patton stated:
" Don’t fight a battle if you don’t gain anything by winning.”

Clearly the OP hasn’t seen the Hungar Games or read the books. Anyone that has, would never connect them to the Trayvon situation.

I’ve only seen the movie, but it looks that way to me too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.