MOVIES: Pirates of the Carribean "Stranger Tides"

I know I was, now that is what gets you the title “Most Catholic King” haha

who were the knights that carried the white flag with a red cross?
In this movie did the mermaids represent angels or demons?
Was the cup with a tear a reference to Mary?
are there plans for another sequel? :cool:

:DOnly saw the movie once so I’m just winging it for conversation’s sake…

At the end? The spaniards?

I also saw symbolism when they went past the British. The British, when seeing them come close (it was a race to this fountain of youth) started arming themselves. After all, they were competing for this fountain, and … I got the feeling from the movie at least that the English and Spanish were somewhat foes already…

But the Spainards didn’t even LOOK back over at them. And then the Captain is like, put the cannons down boys, they aren’t scared of us. They aren’t even CONCERNED with us.

To me, I saw that as, these Spainards had a mission, and they had ‘God’ with them, they couldn’t be distracted, they had nothing to fear… I liked that. ((er, at least what I took from it))

Oh I have no clue if they were to represent either. But I especially liked them in this film, because they were dipicted the way they should be. At least from what I’ve been told. My family is welsh, lots of sailors…its a sort of folklore-y thing, mermaids and all that, and thats how they are supposed to be, they lure the sailors to drown them…

How do you see that? I could see the cup/everlasting life being maybe a eucharistic reference…How did you see Mary?

If there is I’m sure it won’t be a crusaderish as this one was, I want to seeThere Be Dragons. SO bad… :blush::smiley:

well the Spanish ship had white sails with a red cross like this knight

images.wikia.com/deadliestwarrior/images/6/67/Knight.jpg
bestscalemodels.com/santamaria.jpg

Christopher Columbus also flew this sails when he came over. I can’t remember if they are templars or knights of Malta. On the history channel they made a claim that Columbus’s uncle was a knight.

Oh I have no clue if they were to represent either. But I especially liked them in this film, because they were dipicted the way they should be. At least from what I’ve been told. My family is welsh, lots of sailors…its a sort of folklore-y thing, mermaids and all that, and thats how they are supposed to be, they lure the sailors to drown them…

In the bible angels had a destructive element as well as the more familiar saving angel role. Remember in the book of exodus God sent his angel to kill the first born of Egypt. In the Garden of Eden an angel barred Adam and Eve from ever returning. In the movie the mermaids barred mankind from reaching the fountain.
I liked that the faithful catholic named the mermaid Serena which is Spanish for mermaid. This mermaid eventually chose to save his life because of his love and his loyalty to her, much like angels are depicted as taking the faithful to God’s kingdom.

How do you see that? I could see the cup/everlasting life being maybe a eucharistic reference…How did you see Mary?

Mary is the co-redemptrix of salvation, so I understood one of the cups to be for Jesus and one being for Mary. I was also reminded of the seven sorrows of Mary when they first showed the two cups.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stabat_Mater

Who on Christ’s dear Mother gazing,
In her trouble so amazing,
Born of woman would not weep?
Who on Christ’s dear Mother thinking,
Such a cup of sorrow drinking,
Would not share her sorrow deep?
(from a diffferent version )

weeping she hath wept in the night, and her tears are on her cheeks: there is none to comfort her among all them that were dear to her: all her friends have despised her, and are become her enemies. Lamentations 1:2

See now that’s one part I didn’t get. Maybe I was too deep in the popcorn, but he unties her, he’s dying, she says she can save him but he has to ask…and then she drags him down, and presumably out - of the waterhole? I assume…that’s what happened, I mean I don’t remember them coming back out or the distant glow of some sort of ‘Mermaidia’ to imply she had somehow made it so he could live underwater.

Did I miss a part? Because I thought I had either missed a part, or she had just dragged him to the bottom…

And how insightful you are! :slight_smile:

she took him home to the light. If she was an angel the would be heading skyward not towards the sea. God’s redemption must be asked for, he wishes us to come to him of our own free will.

I wanted to see the opus dei movie also, but by the time I knew it was out, it was here and gone.

I watched the film and I really enjoyed the mermaids (loved the part where she joined in with the singing! was really creepy!) and I loved the Catholic references.

Although, not sure I agree with the motives for destroying the fountain. “Only God can give eternity.”

1. It doesn’t give you eternal life.

2. God could have created it. You never know. I think God would have known it existed.

3. If it was not from God, then it would not have worked. The Spaniard refered to it as a “pagan temple” but if it was pagan… surely all such things come from God alone?

I think all ‘good things’ come from God ((I could be wrong))

This fountain only gave youth by taking away the life of another…so…I see it as actually a destructive thing…that people would kill over, abuse, idk…maybe that’s what they meant.

Good point, didn’t think about that.

To be honest, I thought this movie was mediocre. I came away from the movie with a “been there already, done that many times” sort of feeling.

The “jolly sailor bold” part - absolutely loved the mermaid scene. Was so scary yet serene.

True, that was one of the few really good scenes in that movie.

Here is a funny review of Dead man’s chest.

It is so true, but our house hold still loves these movies and we can’t wait to see #3.

yes I enjoyed it very much I don’t mind a 5th one :slight_smile: if they ever make one

This was such a great movie. I loved, loved, loved the first one. The second and third were ok in my opinion. I’m very glad they rebooted the series in a way. I loved the Will Turner and Elizabeth Swan characters, but felt that three movies was a bit much for their story. I like that this one was centered more on Jack Sparrow. I too wouldn’t mind a 5th one if they keep their eyes on the horizon! I believe Jerry Bruckheimer said somthing recently about a script having already been in the works.

And of course as Johnny always says if the script is good, he’ll keep on playing Jack!

We gained life through the death and suffering of Christ.

Excellent point.:thumbsup:

I loved the movie. Won’t mind a 5th one. I liked Will Turner and Elizabeth Swan, but I just think their stories are done. I LOVE Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp). :smiley:

I just came home from watching it at the mall. And guess what? I have to say I am surprised at how GOOD the whole thing still was! :smiley: I mean, I feared Pirates would start losing their edge when they go past 3 but I guess I was wrong this time (and for the first time, I’M HAPPY ABOUT IT).

P.S.

My fave scene would have to be when Barbossa goes back to being his old, pirate-y self once he gets the Queen Anne’s Revenge. To think I actually hated him in the first movie. :eek:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.