MOVIES: Rise of the Planet of the Apes

This was the best film of the summer IMO. I was surprised by how entertaining it was. I never saw the original or the Tim Burton remake. What did you think?

Haven't seen it yet. The original was awesome, it'll be tough to beat Charlton Heston, imo. The Mark Wahlberg remake (I think that was the Tim Burton one) was absolute garbage. I'm going to see this new one next weekend, can't wait! Just hope its not overdone with cgi and whatnot.

For me, it was kind of boring in some parts but overall it was ok. Although I really doubt it was the best movie in the entire summer, but that is just my opinion.

I’m glad you liked it though.

[quote="PJD1987, post:2, topic:252087"]
Haven't seen it yet. The original was awesome, it'll be tough to beat Charlton Heston, imo. The Mark Wahlberg remake (I think that was the Tim Burton one) was absolute garbage. I'm going to see this new one next weekend, can't wait! Just hope its not overdone with cgi and whatnot.

[/quote]

Yup! I read the book, The Monkey Planet, when I was a kid. Grew up watch the movies and the tv series. My son and I are looking forward to seeing this. Too bad movies are so expensive!!!

I'm going to see it in a few hours. It should be fun seeing all those monkeys romping all over the place!:D
p.s Most of the time, movies are not as expensive if you can make it to a matinee, smuggle in your own snacks, or are a senior. :thumbsup: Sometimes though, as in the case of 3D, it doesn't matter and is still expensive.

I LOVED It!! :) It was very entertaining !!! Worth the $$

I wonder what the next will be like. They said on fox it came at first place in the box office second week in a row. I will be surprised when I see the next one since I never saw the original.

My wife and I went to see it yesterday 8-13-11 and the theater was packed to the max. I think the movie has been out already for a week. It seems to be attracting alot of attention. We both thought the movie was great. A very well thought out script with a sequel ending. A few weeks ago, I was looking at a web sight that shows movies to be released down the line and Planet of the Apes was in the list (I don't remember the exact title). I'm looking forward to the next movie already.
I was wondering about the other Planet of the Apes that came out a few years ago with Mark Wahlberg. I actually thought these two movies were connected because in the original Planet of the Apes movies (yes, the famous Charleston Heston ones), the first movie had Charleston Heston and friends traveling through time or another dimension to the Earth where apes ruled then a few sequels later, they showed the way the apes took over the human ruled world. So it seemed like a perfect fit these two latest Planet of the Apes movies. Anybody got any other scoops?
Again, the latest movie was great; I highly recommend it.

Saw it hours ago and I totally loved it too! I live in San Fran and it was great to see the apes romping over Muir Woods, Golden Gate bridge, and through the city. I too thought it was a perfect story line to be the beginning of the saga. I thought it was great when Ceasar trashed the animal control truck.:D

I hadn't been to a movie for several years, I took a date to see this one.. I thought it was really good, with very good special effects...I don't think my date liked it or me, because she don't want to go out anymore... Oh well!!!!!

Keep in mind that this is a remake of the original SEQUEL to the original Planet of the Apes. The original follows basically the same plot, and features Ricardo Montalban, one of the great Catholic actors of Hollywood history.

[quote="matt1985, post:1, topic:252087"]
This was the best film of the summer IMO. I was surprised by how entertaining it was. I never saw the original or the Tim Burton remake. What did you think?

[/quote]

Not counting "Harry Potter & Deathly Hollows Pt. 2," the second-best summer movie I saw was "Final Destination 5." Much better than the original and better than the previous, inferior sequels. The opening sequence alone was worth the price of admission.

It looks alright but I probably will wait for the dvd

The movie is worth watching movie to watch and enjoy, I saw this movie online and this seems to be very good movie to watch. The apes in the movie are the center of attraction. There is one other movie Coming next month related with the Dolphin. I saw the trailers of that movie and trailers of the movie seems to be very promising So I am planning for Dolphin tale Download. I am sure the movie will be as good as it seems.

[quote="Rolltide, post:11, topic:252087"]
Keep in mind that this is a remake of the original SEQUEL to the original Planet of the Apes. The original follows basically the same plot, and features Ricardo Montalban, one of the great Catholic actors of Hollywood history.

[/quote]

Agreed, the revised Planet of the Apes have much better special effects in many regards but I don't feel they capture the same mood as the originals to any great degree. I'm not a proponent of 'old is best' as the rebooted Batman movie series is far superior to the older series for example but in some cases the remakes are hollow. I thought that of the recent Star Trek remake and of this also.

I was really surprised at how good this movie was. It tied into earlier Planet of the Apes themes. any changes were good and/or entertaining.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.