MOVIES: Seven Pounds **SPOILERS**

This Christmas, the movie Seven Pounds was advertised as a feel-good, inspirational film. Rarely has an advertising campaign been so wrong. The odd thing is that the movie actually does come close to being inspirational-but in the end, it completely misses the mark.

(Just so you know, I’m going to reveal some important details of the plot, so listen at your own risk!)

In Seven Pounds, Will Smith plays a mysterious man who calls himself Ben. He spends all his time looking for strangers who need help-people who are dealing with illnesses, financial troubles, or abusive relationships. Ben finds their names and information through what is apparently his job as an IRS agent. He tracks them down, and starts getting involved in their lives, trying to help them in any way he can.

Gradually, we find out that Ben is trying to atone for his past. One night, in a moment of distraction, he caused a car accident that took the lives of seven people, including his own fiancée. So Ben decides to try to help seven more people get a chance to start afresh.

Read the rest here.

SPOILERS******

I just got out of seeing that movie 20 minutes ago. I knew it had generally negative reviews going in but from past experiences I know never to trust the critics. I got a different message out of the movie from most of the critics but I probably mis-understood the message of the movie. After the very sad ending that almost made me as a 20 year old college guy cry, I still thought it was a good film.

The way I saw the ending was that he loved her so much he gave his life for her to live. Realistically if I were in that situation I probably would have waited to see if things would have worked out for her before making that decision but then again the odds were low for her. The message I got out of this was just that of pure and honest true love for another person. Granted yes he should have loved himself just as much, there could be no greater love than giving your life for another.

The article you posted presented a lot of things I missed in the movie and focused on a lot of negative points like many of the critics did. I still find the selfless acts he did very moving regardless of the fact that he felt un-deserving. Many of us including myself feel un-deserving many times but the fact he was able to die for another really moved me. Yes it was sad but why take it in a negative light, the question I got from the film was would you do the same for the person you loved the most?

The moral question I got out of the film for those of you who have seen the film is if suicide would have at least been partially justified by fact he died to give the person he loved a chance to live? Surely God would give that consideration. Any thoughts?

In most cases I find suicide a selfish act that wrecks heart ache on family and loved ones who have to deal with it but in this case it was completely selfless. I’m stumped.

this one disturbed me so much I had crying jags for 2 days…not a happy film.

In the movie 7 Pounds, the main character kills himself in order to save or greatly improve the lives of 7 people. This was all in order to make up for the lives he took when a car accident was caused by his carelessness. He gives his heart to a woman who needs a heart transplant, gives his eyes to a blind man, etc. Is this suicide or sacrifice?

Suicide.

Agreed, suicide.

because the end does not justify the means?

yes.

Because you shouldn’t do an evil even if it results in good.

I see what you are saying but let me give you some examples of what I’m thinking.

What if someone was to murder a person who is an evil person and who kills other people?
Wouldn’t it have been a good idea to kill Hitler before he became of power?
What if you sacrificed yourself for saving other people?

Wouldnt those acts justify the means?

The first two are wrong, so no.
The third you just say sacrificed, you don’t specify how. So for that one, I can’t say.

Ok the third one as an example:

You sacrifce yourself so that another person can live. If a person jumps infront of a bullet to save his/her spouse/friend’s life. Wouldnt that be a sacrifice on that person’s account in order to save another person’s life?

Or if a person needed say a kidney and someone offered to give them theirs and it was a match, is that a good thing to do? To do harm to your body in order to save someone’s life possibly?

On the second question I asked. You really wouldnt sacrifce your soul, so to say, for killing one man to save a billion people? Wouldn’t God take that into consideration, that a person was willing to give up his soul basically for killing one man to save others? Isn’t that kinda a good dead? Or should we just let nature run its course and he’ll die eventually?

Your intention is to protect the life of another person. Your own death would be an effect of your action but not the main intent of your action.

Or if a person needed say a kidney and someone offered to give them theirs and it was a match, is that a good thing to do? To do harm to your body in order to save someone’s life possibly?

If our kidneys are healthy it is acceptable to donate one to save someone’s life. You cannot donate an organ if doing so would cause your death.

the second question I asked. You really wouldnt sacrifce your soul, so to say, for killing one man to save a billion people? Wouldn’t God take that into consideration, that a person was willing to give up his soul basically for killing one man to save others? Isn’t that kinda a good dead? Or should we just let nature run its course and he’ll die eventually?

The commandment “Thou shalt not kill” translates, I have heard, as “Thou shalt not commit murder”. It doesn’t have a qualifier that depends on whether or not the other person is an evil person.

“God willest not the death of the sinner, but rather that he be converted and live.”

There is always a chance you’d survive, so yes it is acceptable. Unless you did it to kill yourself as well as save the other person (you know - two for the price of one), in which case no, it would not.

We can live with one kidney and if it is truly a sacrifice, then yes, the sacrifice would be acceptable and pleasing to God.

On the second question I asked. You really wouldnt sacrifce your soul, so to say, for killing one man to save a billion people? Wouldn’t God take that into consideration, that a person was willing to give up his soul basically for killing one man to save others? Isn’t that kinda a good dead? Or should we just let nature run its course and he’ll die eventually?

I don’t know where but I think it’s mentioned in one of the letters that doing evil for a good outcome is not acceptable. It’s clearly mentioned in the Bible. If, however, you actually thought that killing your own life was the only acceptable way to save others and you were truly selfless in that act, God may indeed understand. But know this - not even we know our own hearts 100%. God is the only one who knows us better than we do.

As for killing one man to save a billion people. Well, if we killed that man (say Hitler) then we would be damning his sould to Hell. If we on the other hand held him captive in a cell for the rest of his life, there is a good chance God would work on his soul and convert him. Maybe not, but we would place that in God’s hand instead of our own. God loves everyone, even Hitler, so if we could give Hitler a chance to repent, what do you think God would think of us? Would He condone the fact we just condemned this man’s sould to Hell for eternity cut off from God or would He want us to give this evil man every chance in this world to try and repent? You have to think of all souls and their eternal place of rest. Killing an evil man sounds all well and good, but doing so would most likely condemn his soul to Hell forever. Allowing him to live, but isolated in a cell with no chance to do more evil would allow God to work in him to quite possibly repent so this person can meet God in heaven. Which is what God wants for everyone, even “evil” people.

After reading your response I have to say Thank You for your time and knowledge of this topic. I completely understand what you are saying and very much so agree with it 100%. You have helped me clear that up. I’ve been pondering those questions for a while but never really thought about asking them.

Thanks again.:thumbsup:

I think the movie Gran Torino dealt with this situation. If you haven’t seen the movie and don’t want to spoil it don’t read any further.

The Clint Eastwood character, realizing he was dying, sacrificed his life by deliberatley walking into a situation he knew would result in his death. But at the same time he knew that his sacrifice would put the bad guys behind bars and also save the life of his teen-age friend. So, parenthetically, the guy who spent forty years playing one or another variation of the avenging angel ends his career (he has stated that this was his last movie in front of the camera) as a martyr.

Hmmm . . . . I’m not sure such a situation could be described as a suicide. I haven’t seen the movie but I guess it would depend on whether the person was willing to die or wanted to die.

It took me longer than it ought to have to realize the difference. I shamefull admit that for several minutes I sat :ehh: but, ah, all is well now! Though I’m not so very sure that “wanting” to die is at all a bad thing. Especially if it’d mean Heaven. But as for suicidal…

SPOILER ALERT

Clint feigns reaching for a gun, in actuallity his lighter, is shot, and the criminals go to jail, not for the other ones they’ve commintted, but his murder. He works, more or less to “frame” them, by causing them to presume he was reaching for his gun and then overreact.

Still, do people who die climbing Mt. Everest commit suicide? They certainly never intended to die, but they put their lives at risk, unnecessary risk. At very least Clint’s character did it for something that might be considered worthwhile. It’s not like the cure to cancer is atop Everest!

Hmmm, but there was a delightful discussion before on the ends justifying the means, truly lovely, one of my favorite topics. One I get into a lot of arguments about aswell.

I personally find the very premise of 7 Pounds disgusting. The man needed psychiatric help, not his organs scavanged!

Wanting to die? …:stuck_out_tongue: Do you suppose wanting to be executed for your crimes is at all suicidal? Or simply justice making its way known? Or the lies of the Accuser?

Saw this movie this last weekend.
Horable!

The worst things:

It was a totally perverted alagory of the passion. (Did others catch it? I haven’t seen anyone mentioning it).

It glorified the culture of death. - I know a guy who killed most of a large family because he was driving and using his cell phone. He had to leave town and start over somewhere else. What would he take from this movie? You can be forgiven? You can accept the redemption offered by Christ? or, You life is less than valuable and you need to make your own justice and make things right by killing yourself?

Most of my family bought into it. They actually thought it was a happy ending! My wife is still angry with me for saying I didn’t like it. I know that it is only a movie to them but why didn’t they see the awfulness of it?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.