MOVIES: The God Who Wasn't There

Bowling for Columbine did it to the gun culture.

Super Size Me did it to fast food.

Now The God Who Wasn’t There does it to religion.

The movie that has been astounding audiences in theaters around the world is now available on a high-quality, feature-packed DVD. Own the taboo-shattering documentary that Newsweek says “irreverently lays out the case that Jesus Christ never existed.”

In this critically acclaimed film, you will discover:

* The early founders of Christianity seem wholly unaware of the idea of a human Jesus
* The Jesus of the Gospels bears a striking resemblance to other ancient heroes and the figureheads of pagan savior cults
* Contemporary Christians are largely ignorant of the origins of their religion
* Fundamentalism is as strong today as it ever has been, with an alarming 44% of Americans believing that Jesus will return to earth in their lifetimes 

From exposing the hidden history of Christianity to lampooning the bloody excesses of Mel Gibson’s The Passion of the Christ (which caused Gibson to attempt legal action against the documentary), The God Who Wasn’t There pulls no punches.

more from the website…

ug.What is with this all out war on Christianity?

It does have me beg the question, how do we as Catholics differentiate ourselves from fundamentalists and why don’t we do it more and do it better. We’re getting lumped in with them.:mad:

Borrowing the lively approach of documentaries such as Fahrenheit 9/11 and Super Size Me, ex-Christian fundamentalist Brian Flemming’s exposé shines an unflinching spotlight on Christianity and the existence of Christ. Flemming interviews religious experts and Christians of varying backgrounds, ultimately asserting that Jesus Christ is more than likely a fictional character based on legend and that Christian doctrine is rife with contradiction.

Any “documentary” borrowing from Michael Moore has got to have lots of organic fertilizer in it.

I think it partially stems from the fact that today’s world, the Western world especially, is so technologically, scientifically, and medically advanced that our lives are certainly much better than they were at the beginning of the century and earlier on.

The grandeur of modern life thus leads to a culture where God is considered to be unnecessary, since we are blinded by how good life is and what humans have been able to achieve in this time. This leads to a culture that idolizes this high achievement and leads people to come to see human achievement as the pinnacle of our existence (instead of heaven being the pinnacle). In time, people start to deny that God exists, pointing to the modern world as an example of how “he doesn’t exist”.

Of course, such achievement loses all meaning not only in the presence of Christ but also in the face of tremendous human suffering. The whole “peace on earth has been achieved” mentality cannot stand-up to the horrendous suffering in the slums around the world.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.