MOVIES: The Unborn

Okay, I usually don’t care for supernatural thriller-type movies, because they’re pretty much nonscene and superstition, but I can’t help but feel that The Unborn is a pro-death movie and that the way “unborn” is used in the movie will change the meaning of the term unborn, which in turn will hurt the prolife movement. I could be wrong, of course. But this is what I gathered from Wikipedia about the film:

The Unborn is a supernatural thriller film written and directed by David S. Goyer which is slated for release in 2009. The film stars Gary Oldman as a spiritual advisor to a young girl (Odette Yustman) who is tormented by the soul of her unborn twin brother who seeks to use her death as a gateway for him to reach life.[1][2] The film is produced by Michael Bay and Platinum Dunes.

Tagline: It Wants To Be Born

Basically, the plot appears to be a secularist view on Catholic theology of what happens to souls when they die: Odette’s dead brother is in limbo* between heaven and earth, because he can’t get to heaven due to his wickedness, so he needs to use his sister’s body - inhabit it (basically, go into her womb) - to be born so he can reach heaven (“life”).

• I use the term “limbo” in the broad sense, meaning the brother is in between heaven and earth; it dosen’t refer to the state limbo, otherwise known as hell or sheol, which is not to be confused with gehenna or hell, the state of the damned. Nor is it to be confused with purgatory.

Hi Eucharisted, I do not wish to take away from your great love for the faith. But unless the film openly tries to present itself as Catholic theology, I don’t see it as a threat necessarily anymore than I would other movies that incorporate mythological fantasy. I guess I’d have to hear more or see it.

Sometimes I feel I just don’t have enough outrage to go around.

I try not to waste too much on silly movies that aren’t even out yet. I’ll wait a while to get worked up over this one…

I just sort of see it as “ooh…creepy…her unborn twin brother wants revenge from the great beyond!”

Stupid horror movies are nothing to get worked up about.

Haven’t seen it but thought it could be entertaining. Thought it had more to do with Vanishing Twin Syndrome than anything else. Especially with the term “her unborn twin” being used in the synopsis.

Will probably wait for it to come out on video but won’t pay $10 to see it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.