MOVIES: There Be Dragons

Josemaria Escriva has become one of my favorite people lately, and I just found out that a movie about him, "There Be Dragons," is coming out in May. Does anyone know how accurately it will portray his life?

I don't know a thing about the film. Apparently parts of it are fictionalized, however, I am not sure that anything important is amiss with how it depicts Josemaria Escriva.

The film seems to be a Spanish Civil War "religious epic" and Josemaria Escriva is one of the major characters. It was directed by the same person who made the 1980s movie The Mission, about a Jesuit missionary and native community in South America in the 1700s.

The current film seems to be getting thumbs up from Catholic sources which are normally considered orthodox. This is from the film's official website, so it will ignore bad reviews, however there are quite a few endorsements from conservative Christians:
dragonsresources.com/about/endorsements.html

The film's website, of course, has a wealth of information about the film.

Here is a news article from a few months ago:
catholicnewsagency.com/news/agnostic-filmmaker-tells-st.-josemaria-escrivas-story/

there is a review on the catholic.org site, with an interview with the director, sounds excellent, one of the few movies I would actually pay to see

I hope it will be shown in my town!! Probably not since we have small theaters and a lot of people around here seem to dislike Catholics :(

i have a friend who is working on the media promotion for this film, and i know she wouldnt involve herself in a project that went against/badly portrayed the Catholic faith in any way :)

I have been told it is excellent and the trailers seem to reflect that.

The trailer:

youtube.com/watch?v=z17OEqbrOOQ

I am SO excited by this. The Holy Father made a Catholic cultural revival an intention...I'm excited to see what else may be happening! The Mission was a step on my becoming Catholic so I'm thrilled to see the director taking something else on.

I thought I'd bump the thread to see if anyone's seen it. According to Rotten Tomatoes, it looks like the critics' reviews were generally negative. :(

I saw it last weekend. It was pretty good. I'm afraid I am not knowledgeable enough about St. Josemaria Escriva to know how accurate it was.

I thought it was one of the better movies I have seen although I don’t see many lately, until they get to satellite. It is not precisely about the life of the saint, as in a bio, the protagonist and Jose Maria are childhood friends who grow apart. The story is about a father and son who are estranged, the father having been touched by Jose Maria at different times during his life, starting with that childhood friendship. It is told in flashback, mostly to the time of the Spanish Civil War, because those events caused the father to become the man he is, and when his son, a journalist, starts a book about Escriva, the father, who is dying, dictates his memoirs, which also reveal a startling fact about the son’s own life. If you liked Mission you will like this because it revolves around character and still has plenty of action, and the fundamental conflict is whether or not the Christian should confront injustice with violence, or with Christlike meekness. Those who know (members of Opus Dei who attended the premier with me) say the parts that focus on Escriva are very accurate, and most of it is in his early years when his movement is in its infancy. If you are looking for a film bio, this is not it, but it is a good movie. If both DH and I can enjoy a movie together that is a success in my book.

Most likely I won't be able to watch on the big screen. :mad:

At this moment, the current Hollywood movies are not allowed on the cinema because of tax problem. So we only have old hollywood movies and local movies. :mad::mad:

[quote="puzzleannie, post:11, topic:234812"]
I thought it was one of the better movies I have seen although I don't see many lately, until they get to satellite. It is not precisely about the life of the saint, as in a bio, the protagonist and Jose Maria are childhood friends who grow apart. The story is about a father and son who are estranged, the father having been touched by Jose Maria at different times during his life, starting with that childhood friendship. It is told in flashback, mostly to the time of the Spanish Civil War, because those events caused the father to become the man he is, and when his son, a journalist, starts a book about Escriva, the father, who is dying, dictates his memoirs, which also reveal a startling fact about the son's own life. If you liked Mission you will like this because it revolves around character and still has plenty of action, and the fundamental conflict is whether or not the Christian should confront injustice with violence, or with Christlike meekness. Those who know (members of Opus Dei who attended the premier with me) say the parts that focus on Escriva are very accurate, and most of it is in his early years when his movement is in its infancy. If you are looking for a film bio, this is not it, but it is a good movie. If both DH and I can enjoy a movie together that is a success in my book.

[/quote]

Many thanks, Annie. Looking forward to its release over here.

This was a superb movie, I will be buying it for DVD to. Very Catholic and inspirational

[quote="puzzleannie, post:11, topic:234812"]
I thought it was one of the better movies I have seen although I don't see many lately, until they get to satellite. It is not precisely about the life of the saint, as in a bio, the protagonist and Jose Maria are childhood friends who grow apart. The story is about a father and son who are estranged, the father having been touched by Jose Maria at different times during his life, starting with that childhood friendship. It is told in flashback, mostly to the time of the Spanish Civil War, because those events caused the father to become the man he is, and when his son, a journalist, starts a book about Escriva, the father, who is dying, dictates his memoirs, which also reveal a startling fact about the son's own life. If you liked Mission you will like this because it revolves around character and still has plenty of action, and the fundamental conflict is whether or not the Christian should confront injustice with violence, or with Christlike meekness. Those who know (members of Opus Dei who attended the premier with me) say the parts that focus on Escriva are very accurate, and most of it is in his early years when his movement is in its infancy. If you are looking for a film bio, this is not it, but it is a good movie. If both DH and I can enjoy a movie together that is a success in my book.

[/quote]

This is a good review. We also saw the movie and liked it. The father-son relationship is the main plot, but information about St Josemaia's childhood and relationship with his own father is very interesting. The history of the Spanish civil war is also accurate and shows what a difficult situation it was. If you can see it in the theater, do go.

I saw it last night and really enjoyed it, though it was a little hard to follow at times. The theater was pretty empty, and I'm not sure why...probably not enough graphic violence and gratuitous sex scenes to suit most viewers. :rolleyes:

I think what really jumped out at me was the whole point about the healing power of forgiveness. Good stuff...so yeah, I'd recommend it.

Btw...the movie they made about the real exorcist, The Rite, got lousy reviews too. But ultimately Hollywood is going to follow the money, so if we want to see more positive movies, we need to go see what's out there now.

I missed it. It was only in town for a week. :shrug:

Its not playing in my closet town either…which is odd, it is a town of 50,000…we have two theaters one with 14 screens and the other with 8 and it is no where to be found :frowning:

Yea we had 3 theaters (all large 16-24) and only one had it. My fiance and I and another man where the only people in there. My local newspaper did not include it in their list of movie showtimes or reviews.

The reason?: Its Catholic Duh. Any movie that doesnt portray the Church in a scandolous light or have crazy exocrism scenese is not going to be spoken about in the media. Keep in mind that many recongize they cannot compete with Christianity because the truth will triumph, and so they try to ignore it. There be Dragons is a great movie that calls people to conversion, holiness, and inspiration. Therefore the secular media ignored it and hoped everyone else did to.

I for one saw it and am going to buy it on DVD.

Saint Josemaría Escrivá, pray for us.

i saw this good movie this past thu.there were just 8 of us in that theater.i feel so bad for the producer ,as the cost of making this film was 36 MILLION , so far it just passed the 1 million mark.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.