Moving Mass

I just wanted to share how moving Mass was this morning, and thought other people might like to share positive Mass experiences.

By any rational account, Mass this morning was a mishmash and should have been distracting. We had the folk group on their guitars, we had a visiting priest who started out very nervously, it was hot, we sang the hymns and not the parts of the Mass or the psalm or the sequence or even the Alleluia (and we nearly always manage to chant the Alleluia in my parish at every Mass). We sang ‘Shine Jesus Shine’ and managed to refrain from clapping. When the priest got to the Eucharistic prayers, he started chanting it and we all gladly responded, and then he got carried away and tried to lead us in the Sanctus in Latin, which we tried very hard to keep up with but it wasn’t the Missa de Angelis version which is the only one most of us know.

We had the children process out for the children’s liturgy, and process back in with the offertory to show us all the birthday cards they made for the Church.

And yet, at the heart of that Mass, at the consecration, and at the receiving of Eucharist, and after receiving when we sang “One bread, one body”, I was fighting back tears and just overwhelmed. And when I looked up at the priest, when it was finished, he seemed to be having the same reaction, and pulled himself together with difficulty so he could lead the final prayers.

And then, miraculously, when we sang “Walk in the Light”, the congregation spontaneously moved into parts and freely sang various harmonies through the different verses and choruses. I mean, when does that ever happen? I know that when I was at the parish school, many years ago, this was a favourite hymn that we sang maybe one harmony to, so maybe it’s just a legacy of that. But we all looked a bit dazed when it was over.

Walk in the light of the Lord!

What positive Mass experiences have you had recently?

Today I received confirmation and first communion (as well as my first ever face-to-face confession right beforehand). This morning I was about ready to have a panic attack and sob straight through the day, but by the end of mass it felt like the first real peace of 15 years.

Congratulations! Walk in the Light indeed!

My husband remarked to me yesterday morning how moving Mass was for him. There wasn’t anything ‘different’ as far as what happens at Mass. But it was PENTECOST! I truly believe that the Spirit was working hard yesterday in our parish. We were introduced to our newest Deacon who will becoming a priest this fall, and I had the honor of proclaiming the second reading. I felt it too, especially from the ambo. It was amazing! The Spirit really guided me in my reading.

The music wasn’t inspiring as sometimes it is, the homily was given by the new deacon and was partially an introduction to him, the crowd was thinner than usual, probably due to a number of factors including the parish festival going on… The priest however was one of the more reverent priests that I’ve met in the area, and I always appreciate that, quite deeply.

But yes, it was amazing.

Why were the readings of the Vigil different from those at Pentecost itself? Also why the option to use so many readings at the Vigil? Fortunately they did the Genesis reading of Babel at the Vigil. And I heard it in Spanish.

Then I attended a Solemn High EF said by a new FSSP priest on Sunday.

I do not know, other than many Holy Days such as this have different Vigil readings (such as Christmas/Christmas Eve, Easter/Easter Vigil)

I did find this that explains it to my satisfaction, at least:
catholicglobe.org/schwend12.html
Now, back to the question of what a “Vigil Mass” is. A Vigil Mass is a Mass that is completely different than the Mass for the Day. Christmas is certainly an example of that. The readings and prayers for these Vigil Masses tend to have a more anticipatory, rather than celebratory, tone. In the Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite, there are only five true Vigil Masses: Christmas Eve, Easter Vigil, Vigil of Pentecost, Vigil of the Birth of St. John the Baptist, Vigil of the Solemnity of Sts. Peter and Paul (older missals, such as the 1962 missal, also include Ascension). These true Vigil Masses have different readings, different prayers, and a different focus. These Masses tend to prepare the participants for the imminent celebration. Before the Second Vatican Council, it was required that these Vigil Masses take place before First Vespers. Today, using the Ordinary Form Calendar, they can be celebrated either before or after First Vespers. Sound convoluted? It really isn’t. The easiest way to remember if a Saturday evening Mass is truly a Vigil Mass is if there are different readings than Sunday. If the Sunday readings are the same as the Saturday evening readings, the Mass is a Sunday Mass taking place on the liturgical day of Sunday (even though to the rest of the world it’s still Saturday!).

Yes, the last time I received the Eucharist,I asked Jesus for a sign, and when I got to the priest, he picked up a small round host, but then he put it back in the chalice and pulled up the biggest piece off the host he consecrated, I had never had a host that size in my life and I am a cradle Catholic, I couldn’t contain my tears, I was so emotional that when I got back to the pew tears were falling down my face, my husband looked at me bewildered and I tried to explain. (I’m sure the people in the pew behind us just couldn’t figure out what had happened). Other times I get teary eyed during a hymn. But you just can’t explain that emotion that makes you speechless and how Jesus speaks to you, and you alone, like you’re the only one in the church at that time.

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.