Moving Out: New York number one in population loss category

WNYT (Albany):

Moving Out: New York number one in population loss category

New census estimates reveal that over the past six years, the Empire State had a net loss of about 847,000 people to other states. That’s more of a domestic migration loss than any other state in the country, putting New York first in the census category. Albany think tank the Empire Center alerted us to the numbers.
“It should raise concerns that people don’t want to stay here. People aren’t moving here. That’s a reflection of the economy. That’s a reflection of state policies,” said Ken Girardin, Empire Center.

New York’s total population has been stagnant compared to other fast growing states, sitting now around 20 million.
Stagnant, but steady because of foreign immigrants and new births from the people who stay here.
That’s not enough to keep up with states like Florida, which passed us in 2014 to become the third biggest state.
In the past six years, The Sunshine State had a net gain of 866,000 people from other states.

Our politicians know the problem – high taxes and ove regulation but their response has been to attract jobs by giving tax breaks and subsidies to companies who will create “new jobs” often at a cost at thousands of dollars per job.

I believe Los Angeles has the same problem, people loving out mainly due to lack of affordable housing and jobs.

At some point this has to start effecting cost of living and property values, I mean, if people are leaving in droves, I dont see the justification in charging $4000+ a month for a one bedroom apt.

Um, demand vs. supply? Not to mention regulations that make it prohibitive to build new rental units. That’s the same as NYC. Those who already own homes don’t want the value of theirs decreased by more homes and especially by apartment buildings.

Here’s a bigger picture.

livability.com/topics/real-estate/this-is-where-us-residents-are-moving-in-2016

Aside from taxing us to death, we also have a bully for a governor. It is truly amazing how quickly the media forgot his denigration of half the state’s population when he said that those who oppose abortion and support traditional marriage have no place in N.Y. That may also have played into the decision of some to leave.

I am still predicting a refugee crisis at the Illinois-Indiana border as people try to escape the high taxes, violence, lack of school choice, and corruption in Chicago. People in this country are still permitted to vote with their feet when their basic needs are not met where they live currently.

It amazes me how much the relative situation has changed since I moved from Illinois to Indiana 32 years ago. More honest, hard working people are welcome.

I doubt someone would relocate over political beliefs, when those beliefs are currently “downheld” all over the country in any case.

But hey, if you can take the heat, come on down to TX!!! All the weapon rights you could want; Republican governed since 1994; some of the most growing cities in America!!! We need the electoral votes!!!

:):):). ICXC NIKA

The condition of Illinois’ interstates were the worst I’ve ever driven on with the exception of some interstates in south west Michigan. I drove across the state, longitudinally, several times on two different interstates a few years ago, the whole time I was thinking to myself, don’t they have enough money to resurface their roads.

All I know is, New York City (not State) still seems very overcrowded to me, particularly Manhattan. Unfortunately, people cannot move out even if they want to since they don’t have enough money left to afford the moving costs!

My older son was career Army (23 years). His last posting was about 5 years at Fort Drum in upstate New York. I do know that when he retired, happiness was seeing New York in his rear-view mirror.

That was my observation on I94 and I90 returning to see my family on Christmas, even with almost no truck traffic because of the holiday. It took me 28 minutes to go two miles between exits 65 and 63 because of an accident. I also had to ask if the Jane Byrne Interchange was named to honor her or to mock her. It has been under construction for years and was a mess even with light traffic.

Illinois is raising the gas tax again in 2017, but I doubt the money will be spent well. Interstate truckers know to fill up in Indiana before they encounter the extra high Illinois tax on diesel fuel and cigarettes.

I used to be that many went to the southernmost borough (Florida) when they retired.

Florida doesn’t even have reciprocity with the New York Bar Association. Retired lawyers need to take the Florida bar before practicing there.

DH talks about moving after retirement (our youngest is 7 so it will be a while). All if NY is so expensive.

Hah!
Check out this map of counties by population. The only real cities outside the NY merto are Rochester and Buffalo. An awful lot of upstate is fields or forest.and I have to spend a lot of time explaining when I tell folks the I’m from upstate NY, not the city.

For sure. I drove/rode between Syracuse and points west several times in the 1969-1971 time frame, and I can verify that there was a lot of uninhabited space. Ditto two years ago when we went to the Watertown/Fr. Drum area for our granddaughter’s HS graduation. Lots of farms around there.

It is overcrowded. One of the reasons I fled in March!

New York City is a good place to be from – as far as possible from :smiley:

The big problem in New York City, the biggest problem, is the cost of housing. And what’s driving up the cost isn’t government regulation.

Our problem (I’m a lifelong city resident) is that we’re home to the financial industry. And there are a lot of very rich people seeking housing here. So developers build for the high-end market, and completely ignore the rest of the market.

Developers aren’t regulated out of existence – there’s new construction everywhere you look. You can barely walk (and you certainly can’t drive) around the city because of all the construction. And rent regulation is rapidly becoming a thing of the past, ever since vacancy decontrol and other measures that allow landlords to get out of the rent stabilization system were passed.

It’s just free-market economics. If a developer has a dollar to invest, he’d rather invest it in high-end housing, because the return on that dollar will be higher than the return on middle-income or low-income housing. The days when Fred Trump could become a multi-millionaire by building middle-income housing are over. Or rather, they’re not over, but who wants to become a plain old millionaire when he could become a billionaire by building luxury housing?

And it’s pushing people out of what used to be middle- or low-income areas. I mean, Bushwick is now a desirable neighborhood. *Bushwick! * Fellow New Yorkers will know what I mean. And many people are being displaced by this development, and pushed farther and farther out from where they work. Once they get to Rockaway, there’s nowhere left to go – you’re on the Atlantic Ocean.

The free market is hard at work here, but it’s not serving the needs of most of the people of the city very well.

What’s your issue with NYC? Is it just a regional prejudice? If so, I get that. I have zero desire to step foot in Alabama. :smiley:

There’s nothing wrong with that.

If I could convince my wife I’d move yesterday. :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.