Moving out soon. Locations of nearby churches?

In about a year or two, I'll be transferring to another college and was wondering if there is a "church" map or some place where I can look up for nearby Catholic churches.
Thanks in advance,
Simmania

yes the website of the diocese where your school is located probably does have a website and a map, or at least a search function. find out also about the Catholic Campus Ministry or Newman Center, which exists to support Catholic students in their faith on a secular campus, and usually offers Mass, bible study, sometimes other services, also a social network. The bishop's website usccb.org lists diocese and you can also search by map

PuzzleAnnie gives good advice, and is more thorough than the recommendation I am about to offer. But a quickie look can be gained by using Google Maps. Simply type in:

Catholic Church (and the name of whatever city you will be in)

This search will show all the Catholic Church's in your new place of residence. From there, you can learn more about each individual church by visiting their websites.

There's also masstimes.org

But probably the best way would be to search Google for the name of the university and "catholic" or search the campus web site for "catholic." You'll find any student organizations that are around plus a campus ministry or Newman center.

[quote="SuscipeMeDomine, post:4, topic:206421"]
There's also masstimes.org

But probably the best way would be to search Google for the name of the university and "catholic" or search the campus web site for "catholic." You'll find any student organizations that are around plus a campus ministry or Newman center.

[/quote]

I :heart: masstimes.org! They have been helpful soooo many times :thumbsup:. I would do a search and then contact the nearest Church if you wanted more info. They will know what other churches are around and what kind of campus ministry your university has. Good luck! :)

[quote="lifeisbeautiful, post:5, topic:206421"]
I :heart: masstimes.org! They have been helpful soooo many times :thumbsup:. I would do a search and then contact the nearest Church if you wanted more info. They will know what other churches are around and what kind of campus ministry your university has. Good luck! :)

[/quote]

This is the only website you really need to find a church... they also link to the parish website or if it's a small parish the link may be to the diocese website. Either way this site is really all you need. Good luck and God Bless.

Peace Be With You,
Paul

Thank you everyone for your help :hug1: (and for replying so quickly too :eek:)
One more question...I know this may sound dumb but what's the difference between a church and cathedral looks and "feels" the same to me O.o

When I am visiting a new city I identify churches by going onto the diocesan website. You can put Diocese of Buffalo or whatever into google to find the diocesan website. Then I go onto mapquest and proceed into the "directions" function, using the address for the place I will stay and also the address of a church likely nearby This will tell you the distance to the church and orient you to its location on a map. Often the zipcode for churches will tell me which churches are nearby.
I used to use the Official Catholic Directory to locate parish addresses, before beginning to go onto diocesan websites. This directory is available in many libraries. This directory will also provide phone numbers for parishes, that I used to find mass times.

simmania, I'm pretty sure a cathedral is a church where the bishop of the diocese is based. If I am wrong, someone will correct me quickly ;)
And good for you for making your faith so important in your life.

[quote="HeavenlyRoses, post:9, topic:206421"]
simmania, I'm pretty sure a cathedral is a church where the bishop of the diocese is based. If I am wrong, someone will correct me quickly ;)
And good for you for making your faith so important in your life.

[/quote]

You're right. It's the Bishop's seat...... kinda like "Home Base" :D

Paul

[quote="Paul2274, post:10, topic:206421"]
You're right. It's the Bishop's seat...... kinda like "Home Base" :D

Paul

[/quote]

Well that's a easy and funny way to explain it haha:D. I approve this explanation :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.