Moving out soon, need some help

I will be moving out of my apartment in December and back to my house in Houston. In January I will be flying to Cuernavaca Mexico to spend my final semester of College in a Spanish immersion program. I will get back to the states at the end of March, and, with a little help from above, I hope to have a job by the beginning of the summer.

I have bunches and bunches of miscellaneous papers laying around. Some are kind of important, some are not. Should I throw anything away that isn’t absolutely necessary? for instance, should I keep all the utility bills? As a non-working student, I haven’t been paying income tax, so I don’t think they’re necessary for tax purposes.

Also, I asked this question in Back Fence, but it dropped like a rock without much help. I’m looking for vacuum storage bags for my clothes. This will be both for when I’m moving out and when I’m going to Mexico. I was all set to buy those space bags that everyone’s seen on TV, but the reviews on amazon are terrible. There’s at least one other comparable brand, but the reviews aren’t much better. Are there bags that do work?

Hi GIR, If they weren’t used for tax purposes, then I can’t think of any reason you would need to keep old utility bills.

As for the vacuum bags, I bought some not long ago for a trip … they weren’t the kind that use a vacuum cleaner, but the kind that you roll up, which forces the air out through a one-way valve. I bought mine at Target (I think the brand was Embark). They were totally worthless and I would not recommend them. A complete waste of money. :mad:

On the other hand, here is something else I bought which I really liked (and helped save space, which I assume is what you’re trying to do):

magellans.com/store/Packing_Organizers___Packing_Cubes___FoldersLP620?Args=

These are available in different sizes, too.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

I could see how saving your last bill for a particular service might be helpful -- to have access to your account number, to prove you've paid if the utility company has some problem after you leave or tries to charge you extra, etc. But I don't see why you'd need to keep anything more than one of each bill.

Even if you're a student and not paying taxes, my opinion is that you probably should still save tax-related records (W2, the forms re: tuition that your college may give you), if you have any, for a couple years -- I'd be paranoid that the IRS might say later that I should have filed a return, and I wouldn't have my W2 anymore to prove what my income was.

Here's a link on what financial records should be saved, which might help you: bankrate.com/finance/personal-finance/how-long-to-keep-financial-records.aspx

[quote="GIR, post:1, topic:219445"]

I have bunches and bunches of miscellaneous papers laying around. Some are kind of important, some are not. Should I throw anything away that isn't absolutely necessary? for instance, should I keep all the utility bills? As a non-working student, I haven't been paying income tax, so I don't think they're necessary for tax purposes.

[/quote]

You only need to keep your bills for three months, or until you know that your payment has been recorded as received by the company, so that if there are any problems, you have documentation of your side of the story. You should also always write the number of the cheque, or the bank transaction number, on the bill itself, so that you have a handy record, if for some reason your payment gets lost in transit.

When you do throw your bills away, be sure to shred them well (and maybe mix them up with the kitchen garbage as well), so that garbage pickers can't steal your account number and address.

[quote="GIR, post:1, topic:219445"]
I will be moving out of my apartment in December and back to my house in Houston. In January I will be flying to Cuernavaca Mexico to spend my final semester of College in a Spanish immersion program. I will get back to the states at the end of March, and, with a little help from above, I hope to have a job by the beginning of the summer.

I have bunches and bunches of miscellaneous papers laying around. Some are kind of important, some are not. Should I throw anything away that isn't absolutely necessary? for instance, should I keep all the utility bills? As a non-working student, I haven't been paying income tax, so I don't think they're necessary for tax purposes.

Also, I asked this question in Back Fence, but it dropped like a rock without much help. I'm looking for vacuum storage bags for my clothes. This will be both for when I'm moving out and when I'm going to Mexico. I was all set to buy those space bags that everyone's seen on TV, but the reviews on amazon are terrible. There's at least one other comparable brand, but the reviews aren't much better. Are there bags that do work?

[/quote]

Shred all the bills but keep your account numbers somewhere. All that stuff is available as pdf files on the utility companies' websites. You can go paperless and not even have to worry about getting bills.

Tried the Space Bags. About half of them worked, half didn't work at all from the beginning. Over time they all leak air and re-expand, which is why they get such bad reviews. It's a good concept but the execution remains poor.

Good luck with your trips!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.