Moving to Memphis, TN

My family and I are going to be moving to Memphis, Tennessee at the end of the summer, when I'll be starting a new job teaching there. Does anybody have any suggestions or advice about the area? What about the Diocese of Memphis? My wife will be transitioning to the role of stay-at-home mom with our daughter who will be about 18 months. Does anyone know anything about resources for her? Our current church has a great mom's group that I know she will miss. I would really like to find a parish that is vibrant and orthodox. Occasionally, I want to hear homilies that address those subjects that are sometimes shied away from. Is there anywhere that has perpetual adoration nearby? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks and God Bless.

Pax

Isn't there anyone out there in Catholic.com world who has any advice?

I don’t know very much about the Diocese of Memphis except that the Bishop is J. Terry Steib, a member of The Society of the Divine Word, a missionary order originally founded in Holland by St. Arnold Janssen. In the United States this order was instrumental in working with Black Americans, especially in Louisiana and Chicago, and in preparing Black seminarians for the priesthood. Bishop Steib is one of the few Black American bishops in the U.S. Other Black American bishops from his Religious Order are Bishop Guillory of Beaumont, Texas and retired Bishop Olivier, who served as an auxillary bishop of Washington D.C. Bishop Perry, the first Black bishop in the 20th century, who served as auxillary bishop of New Orleans, was also a member of the Divine Word Missionaries. I’m afraid that is all I can tell you about Church in Memphis. I hope this information helps you a little bit.

A few years ago, my wife had some communication with the lady who was in charge of natural family planning outreach for the Diocese of Memphis, and my wife was very impressed with her. I'm not sure if the same lady is still in that role, and I can't remember her name, but she might be a good person to contact for references to local resources to help your wife. Just look up the diocese's web site and I would guess that you probably can find her contact information.

EDIT: I just looked up the Diocese of Memphis's web site, and the same woman is still in that role -- I recognized her name. Just click on Natural Family Planning on the diocese's web site, and you will find her information. I don't know her personally, but she might be a good person to contact for references to local resources to help your wife in her vocation as a stay-at-home mom.

Also, see if you can find a Catholic homeschooling group in Memphis. Even if you don’t plan to homeschool, you could ask if you can attend one of their meetings, or just talk to someone from the group on the phone. They probably could give you good recommendations for parishes and other local Catholic resources.

I’ve never been to Memphis (too hot and humid for me!), but St. Louis Catholic Church does have perpetual adoration. And it seems to be a fairly active parish.
stlouischurchmphs.org/

Perpetual Adoration

St. Louis Parish has the extreme blessing of having a Chapel in which the Blessed Sacrament is exposed 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Parishioners (and others) commit to one hour segments in the Chapel with Jesus, since the exposed Blessed Sacrament must be attended at all times. Having continual adoration of Our Lord is a glorious enrichment of the prayer life at St. Louis, a remarkable aid in spiritual growth and development. Everyone is encouraged to take an hour a week in the adoration of Jesus Christ in the Blessed Sacrament.

stlouischurchmphs.org/ministries.html

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.