MPs back creation of human-animal embryos

MPs back creation of human-animal embryos

The amendment to ban all admixed embryos was defeated by 336 votes to 176. The prohibition on true hybrids was defeated by 286 votes to 223

Mark Henderson and Francis Elliott

div#related-article-links p a, div#related-article-links p a:visited {color:#06c;}British scientists will be allowed to research devastating diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s using human-animal embryos, after the House of Commons tonight rejected a ban.
An amendment to the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Bill that would have outlawed the creation of “human admixed embryos” for medical research was defeated in a free vote by a majority of 160, preserving what Gordon Brown regards as a central element of the legislation.
timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article3964693.ece

I find it hard to believe that as a human race we are allowing an
animal egg to be merged with a human sperm for purposes of science. It is the most barbaric thing I have ever heard. As the Cardinal Keith O’Brien the leader of the Roman
Catholic Church in Scotland states we are now practicing “Frankenstein” science and breaches the sanctity of human life. Keep on praying!!

Have we finally crossed the ultimate line?

digitaldiatribes.wordpress.com/2008/05/22/crossing-the-moral-rubicon/

People who are involved in this kind of perversions should all be locked up for life, with no hope of parole.

Uhh, well unfortunately it is the actual UK Parliament that just enacted this. And it’s not like the US, no matter how Conservative its leadership will EVER be, would try and intervene with a sovereign European country and its internal policies.

I could fathom a day when a really, really conservative President might attempt to prohibit travel of US scientists to the UK to participate, but it really is out of the realm on Executive or Legislative power what an American does within legal means on sovereign territory under a different system of Laws.

Personally i would love to have a few snip bits of DNA from different animals, chameleon (skin), salamander (regen), Eagle + Owl (eyes), hmmmmm thats about it… oh advanced amphibian (amphibious quality). But yea I think that the future is very intresting and the species to superceed humans would be very intresting indeed…

The UK parliament has certainly crossed the line with this one.

Combining human life with animal life is certainly evil and it just shows how perverse the English people are.

Yeah like idiot americans wouldn’t be doing it if it weren’t illegal. Thank God for Bush.

I compare this to the tower of Babel. And how do we know if our country is not doing this? I believe this is being tried in all the countries…if not in an underhanded way. It is just that the UK has announced it publicly. :frowning:

originally posted by Shoshana
I compare this to the tower of Babel. And how do we know if our country is not doing this? I believe this is being tried in all the countries…if not in an underhanded way. It is just that the UK has announced it publicly.

I would think if the U.S. was doing this, it would be very difficult for someone not to know.

Wasn’t the UK the first to do in vitro? What if they introduce some mutation that they can’t control ?

The line was crossed aeons ago…it’s just now becoming a flagrant and publicized “scientific matter of fact”.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.