Mr. Spock or Mr. Data?

Make mine Spock! :smiley:

Data. Definitely Data.

Mr. Spock. Data had that whiny Pinnocio complex. Spock accepted who he was.

Spock or Data for what purpose?

Data. I always liked Spock, but when TNG came out, Data really grew on me.

Sorry, not enough information. Is this a personal liking or preference? Why just these two? The ‘lack of emotion’ --well, in the end Data gets his ‘emotion chip’, and Spock has frequently been able to ‘access’ his human emotions appropriately and yet also reconcile this to the Vulcan logic.

Spock in the earliest years wanted to be ‘just one’–and that one Vulcan --Data in the earliest years wanted to ‘be human’. Both were conflicted. Both thought --at various times–that they COULD have what they desired, and that they COULD NOT have what they desired. Both paid a price when they got what they wanted; both paid a price when they didn’t have what they wanted.

Which is the most interesting? It depends. Certainly Spock ‘suffers’ more–it can be argued that Data, absent his ‘emotion’ chip–does not suffer while he lacks emotion though he certainly experiences ‘something’ which causes him to seek emotions.

Yet in the end, Data appears to gain the most happiness.

A most intriguing choice. Fascinating. :ehh:

Data is an endearing character, but he was basically an attempt to have a Spock-like character on the bridge of the Enterprise without putting another Vulcan there. Because, at the time TNG premiered, if they had chosen to have another Vulcan on the bridge, pity the poor actor who would have had to follow in Leonard Nimoy’s footsteps under the intense media and fan scrutiny and criticism of that first season.

And although Data later grew into a fully-rounded character in his own right, I still voted for Spock in the end. I just love the Vulcans! (Tim Russ’ Tuvok wasn’t bad either.)

But Data was still a great character and one of my all-time favourite Data moments was the poem he recited to his cat, Spot. :rotfl:

‘An Ode To Spot’

*Felis catus is your taxonomic nomenclature,
An endothermic quadruped, carnivorous by nature;
Your visual, olfactory, and auditory senses
Contribute to your hunting skills and natural defenses.

I find myself intrigued by your sub-vocal oscillations,
A singular development of cat communications
That obviates your basic hedonistic predilection
For a rhythmic stroking of your fur to demonstrate affection.

A tail is quite essential for your acrobatic talents,
You would not be so agile if you lacked its counterbalance.
And when not being utilized to aid in locomotion
It often serves to illustrate the state of your emotion.

Oh Spot, the complex levels of behavior you display
Connote a fairly well-developed cognitive array;
And though you are not sentient, Spot, and do not comprehend,
I nonetheless consider you a true and valued friend.*

Spock!

Data.

I cried at the end of Nemesis. Is that bad? :blush:

Moneo, thanks for the reminder. I’ve had that poem tucked away since the ep aired. I wish I knew which one of the ST-TNG writers actually wrote it, so I could attribute when I quote it.

My vote–Data, for his desire to become more human.

Data. Even if his head is basically a bomb (positrons are antimatter) and they should only open its access panels in Sickbay’s radiology (I figure it’s as dangerous as a PET scan).

Has anybody noticed that everyone else Brent Spiner plays, is basically Lore? Dr. Soong is Lore; that scientist in Independence Day is Lore; Puck, in Disney’s Gargoyles, is like a nice Lore. Only Data, and Puck’s alter ego Mr. Vogel, are any different (and Vogel is Data on Quaaludes).

“Crying is one of those things caused by your unseemly human emotions. As a Vulcan, I see no reason to stand here and continue to be insulted, Captain.”

lol

Seriously, as a real Trekker, I prefer CaptainSpock(his rank at the end) over Data. Spock was always logical and as a result, always correct.

He also grew more as a character over all these years! If you think back to “The Cage”, and how “rigid” he was, and think forward to “Undiscovered Country”, you see a more substantial change in Spock than in Data. Just think of Spock’s last line in that film: “If I were human, I believe my answer would be…go…to…hell…If I were human!” (This was when Uhura announced that they had just received a message from Starfleet to put back to spacedock, to be de-commissioned. The camera panned the other characters before finally stopping at Spock.) There is no WAY we would have EVER imagined Spock coming up with a line like that in his early years.

Logical. Flawlessly logical.

Live Long and Prosper.

Mr. Spock. Data wears too much make-up.

No, but Spock’s death scene in The Wrath of Khan is better.

Actually, his rank at the last Star-Trek-time appearance (two eps in Season 5 (I believe) of ST-TNG was Ambassador.

Spock hands down–if you say otherwise, I’ll give you the Vulcan nerve pinch.

The rank of Ambassador was one that was accorded to him by the Federation.

The rank of Captain was a Starfleet rank.

Logically, a person could be part of the Federation and NOT be part of Starfleet at the same time.

I like Data.

But for your consideration:

Spock was never remote-controlled to hijack the Enterprise (TNG Brothers)

Spock wasn’t remote-fed with emotions and coerced to join the Borg (TNG Descent)

Spock didn’t steal a shuttlecraft and sing “A British Tar” over the comlink with the captain (Insurrection).

Quite honestly, if I were Starfleet, after that second incident, I would have seriously put Data up for dismantling.

Mr. Spock or Mr. Data??

I think I’ll take the Kirk Kobayashi Maru option and reprogram this poll to include a third option: I love them both so much I can’t chose!!!

But let’s see just how much of a REAL Trekker you are…

What was the “change” that Kirk made that allowed him to beat the Kobayashi Maru? It’s not mentioned in any of the episodes, nor are the details mentioned in any of the movies. However, it IS mentioned in one of the umpteen novels, and was approved by Roddenberry before he died. (approved because even Roddenberry thought the “change” was logical!)

Take a day or two to figure it out, if you need it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.