Msgr. Gilles Wach, ICRSS

I’ve been discerning a priestly vocation to the institute for a little while now, but I’m really wanting a bit more of a feel for their founder. Does anyone have links to a talk or sermon or letters etc. by Msgr. Wach? I’ve scoured the internet for videos and speeches but to no avail… I’m assuming it’s because of the language barrier, because whenever he visits America the good Msgr. Schmitz gives the homily. I can understand some french and in writing, I have a good friend who can translate, so if that’s all there is, I would still appreciate a link! Thanks in advance!

Oh and if anyone has met Msgr. Wach, would you mind sharing your opinion of him? Was there anything that struck you about him? Any memorable moments?

FSSP or ICRSS… tough decision I think.

Bump.

[quote="Cruikshank_s, post:1, topic:266400"]
I've been discerning a priestly vocation to the institute for a little while now, but I'm really wanting a bit more of a feel for their founder. Does anyone have links to a talk or sermon or letters etc. by Msgr. Wach? I've scoured the internet for videos and speeches but to no avail... I'm assuming it's because of the language barrier, because whenever he visits America the good Msgr. Schmitz gives the homily. I can understand some french and in writing, I have a good friend who can translate, so if that's all there is, I would still appreciate a link! Thanks in advance!

Oh and if anyone has met Msgr. Wach, would you mind sharing your opinion of him? Was there anything that struck you about him? Any memorable moments?

[/quote]

You can gain some information about Monsignor Wach from the about page of the Institute:
institute-christ-king.org/who-we-are/

Perhaps not very helpful, but it's something.

God bless you in your vocation discernment. How wonderful! :)

I don't know Msgr. Wach, but I've been blessed to know some of the priests of the institute. They've been such a blessing to me and my family.

Perhaps you could try and be in touch with some of the priests from the Institute in order to get a better answer to your question. Try the USA website's homepage. Each of the Oratories has an email address.

[quote="Cruikshank_s, post:1, topic:266400"]
I've been discerning a priestly vocation to the institute for a little while now, but I'm really wanting a bit more of a feel for their founder. Does anyone have links to a talk or sermon or letters etc. by Msgr. Wach? I've scoured the internet for videos and speeches but to no avail... I'm assuming it's because of the language barrier, because whenever he visits America the good Msgr. Schmitz gives the homily. I can understand some french and in writing, I have a good friend who can translate, so if that's all there is, I would still appreciate a link! Thanks in advance!

[/quote]

I've attended one of his beautiful Masses in Rockford and hadn't realized he didn't speak English until afterwards when he gave his talk.

Dear friend,

ICRSS is daily in my prayers, especially the seminarians, our future priests, so I’m happy to hear you’re considering the Institute! :)

Don’t recall any videos offhand, but various of Mgr. Wach’s sermons and addresses are available on ICRSS’s main site, in French -- icrsp.org/sermons/Sermons.htm

And just b/c it’s so nice, I recommend seeing the pictures of his parents meeting the Holy Father for their 65th anniversary --
icrsp.org/IMAGES-APOSTOLATS/IMAGES-2010/Apostolats/Audience-Randol-Lille/Audience/audience.htm

take care!
amsjj :)

+++
Jesus, God and man,
imprisoned by love in Thy most holy Sacrament,
have mercy upon us.
+ Blessed John Henry Newman, December 22, 1851

Tú y yo sabemos por la fe que oculto en las especies sacramentales está Cristo,
ese Cristo con su Cuerpo, con su Sangre, con su Alma, y con su Divinidad,
prisonero de amor.
+ San Josemaría Escrivá, 1 junio 1974

… Our Lord Himself frequently said; and it is recorded as an Apostolic tradition from Him
by St. Justin the Martyr. He says ‘Jesus often said, “They who are near Me are near a fire”’.
+ Abp. W. B. Ullathorne, August 1st 1886

If you want a solid theological / intellectual / linguistic (they need to learn French, Italian, and Latin, at least) formation, go with the Institute. If you're not as much intellectual, perhaps the Fraternity would be better for you.

Think of it this way: If the Fraternity and Institute were a high school, the Fraternity would be the jocks and the Institute the chess players. :)

[quote="CardManningFan, post:7, topic:266400"]

Think of it this way: If the Fraternity and Institute were a high school, the Fraternity would be the jocks and the Institute the chess players. :)

[/quote]

Oh please.

[quote="CardManningFan, post:7, topic:266400"]
If you want a solid theological / intellectual / linguistic (they need to learn French, Italian, and Latin, at least) formation, go with the Institute. If you're not as much intellectual, perhaps the Fraternity would be better for you.

[/quote]

The languages learned are just the languages needed.
The ICRSS uses French internally but is located in Italy, thus Italian and French.

Before the establishment of the US Seminary, FSSP seminarians had to learn either French or German (and often picked up both) in addition to Latin, because the Seminary was located in Germany, but a lot of the internal communication was done in French.

By the way, what foreign languages do you speak fluently, CardManningFan?

[quote="TrueLight, post:8, topic:266400"]
Oh please.

[/quote]

Actually, I think I would support that statement to some degree.

Great. I don’t.

[quote="TrueLight, post:11, topic:266400"]
Great. I don't.

[/quote]

Neither would I, and I am an an FSSP parish. :tsktsk:

[quote="Chatter163, post:12, topic:266400"]
Neither would I, and I am an an FSSP parish. :tsktsk:

[/quote]

And I got my instruction through the FSSP, and don't appreciate that they are not intellectual but are more like jocks!

No offense to jocks.:D

If anyone needs some good FSSP teaching, go to audiosancto.org.

Awesome links! Thanks!:thumbsup:

God Bless,

PAX

:highprayer:

Mgr. Wach was in St. Louis last month preaching a retreat for the American Province priests. Here’s a posting on that:
institute-christ-king.org/news/203/92/Canons-Retreat-Preached-by-Prior-General/

+++

Also, other news of interest for American supporters of the Institute.

Mgr .Schmitz wrote on Pentecost:

During the first week in July five men will be
ordained to the priesthood by His Eminence,
Cardinal Raymond L. Burke. Five others will
be ordained as deacons and ten will be ordained
to the subdiaconate—five of whom are
from the United States. Six men from the
United States entered the seminary this year.
The incoming class of first-year seminarians
never had so many Americans! Please remember
in your prayers the twenty-one American
seminarians in formation. They are preparing
to one day exercise their priestly ministry
among you.
institute-christ-king.org/uploads/stlouis/bulletins/238950%20St%20Francis%20de%20Sales%20Oratory%2005-27-12.pdf

Finally, Canon Wiener has begun treatment for lymphoma. News is hopeful, but please say prayers for him.

take care,
amsjj

+++
Jesus, God and man,
imprisoned by love in Thy most holy Sacrament,
have mercy upon us.

• Blessed John Henry Newman, December 22, 1851

Tú y yo sabemos por la fe que oculto en las especies sacramentales está Cristo,
ese Cristo con su Cuerpo, con su Sangre, con su Alma, y con su Divinidad,
prisonero de amor.

• San Josemaría Escrivá, 1 junio 1974

… Our Lord Himself frequently said; and it is recorded as an Apostolic tradition from Him
by St. Justin the Martyr. He says ‘Jesus often said, “They who are near Me are near a fire”’.

• Abp. W. B. Ullathorne, August 1st 1886

I have assisted at Holy Mass celebrated by Msgr. Wach on two occasions. His homilies were excellent. I have met him on two occasions as well, although owing to my limited French we merely exchanged pleasantries. Beyond that, I have had several conversations with canons of the institute who display an unfailing respect and genuine affection for the founder. My impression is that Msgr. Wach is a holy, brilliant, and warmly personable priest. No accident, I presume, that these qualities are manifest in the canons of the Institute as well.
AMDG
jsa

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.