Muhammad in the bible

I happened to chance upon a video asserting that Muhammad was specifically mentioned in the bible. It is supposed to be in Songs of Solomon 5:16

“His mouth is sweetness itself;
he is altogether lovely.
This is my beloved, this is my friend,
daughters of Jerusalem.”

It asserts that the name of that man described in that verse was given in the original Hebrew as Muhammad. מַחֲמַדַּים

So it reads “This is my beloved Muhammad.”

What’s the understanding?

Not that…

The burden would be on them to prove it, which they can’t.

And I’m not sure there is a copy of that book in original Hebrew. I think it only survives in the Septuagint and the Masoretic text. The Greek certainly says nothing about Muhammad.

Since Muslims maintain that the Hebrew scriptures were corrupted, just mention that this is clearly one of the corrupted books.

One suggestion would be: read the rest of the chapter and you can discover that this is not about Muhammed.

The discussion of the man in verse 16 begins in verse 8, where a woman says: “I adjure you, O daughters of Jerusalem, if you find my beloved, that you tell him I am sick with love.”

Then, in verse 9, the women who she is talking to ask, “What is your beloved more than another beloved, O fairest among women? What is your beloved more than another beloved, that you thus adjure us?”

Then, in verses 10-16, she describes her beloved.

Verse 16 is therefore about a man loved by a woman from the time period in which the Song of Songs is set. This was the time of King Solomon, many centuries before Muhammad was born.

We can know the Song of Songs is set in the time of Solomon for several reasons. For one, the man in Songs 5:16 is named in Songs 8:11-12 – and his name was Solomon. This is one reason why the Song of Songs is sometimes called the Song of Solomon: it is either a song he really composed between him and one of his wives, or it is a song composed later that is about Solomon and one of his wives.

Therefore, Songs 5:16 is not about Muhammad.

youtube.com/watch?v=sSLG3vMAXZ4

A former Muslim was giving his testimony in that the Prophet Jesus is mentioned more times in the Quran than Muhammed.

And that Jesus picked up clay and made a living bird from it.

He read in the Quran that Jesus is named the Living Word of God.

In the Quran it is stated that life was created by the Living Word of God.

He came to another source that stated Jesus makes us children of God and he saw a difference in that from Allah who dictates to be his slave.

He came to accept Jesus and when his father found out, he beat him unconscious. When the young man awoke, he was tied to his bed, not fed or given drink for 3 weeks. In this suffering he found within himself he was as a newborn and there were ‘others’ with him.

When his father returned with a knife and his family, the father asked him if he believer in Allah or Jesus. When the father came down with the knife to kill him, the son grabbed the knife, but it deflected and with unknown strength, the knife instead fell back on the father, causing him to fall to the ground with a slash across his chest and frothing at the mouth. The family was so upset they instead forgot about the son and rushed the father to the hospital, and the son escaped.

So I think it would be very interesting to likewise learn more about Christ in the Quran and share it with others.

mohammed is not in the bible. he is not a prophet. islam is not from God.

the quran needs the Bible. the bible does not need their quran.

God bless

Even if it were literally “Muhammad” in the text it doesn’t prove anything. Words can stretch across cultures, as is the case with Semitic languages. What is the entire point of the song of Solomon in this view?

A more prominent claim used by virtually every group, not just Muslims, is the idea that the comforter Jesus promises is their particular prophet or leader. Started with Montanus, the Muslims then claimed it and now other groups do as well.

The problem with trying to connect Muhammad to the bible is that he so foreign to the world and the message that the biblical authors both Old and New attempted to convey. The New testament authors did not envision a world dominated under the sharia, they sought a world to be renewed with the spirit.

youtube.com/watch?v=WjUXd4qW9mg#t=303

Thanks, that is him, but not the video I saw.

I tried to put the link here but then it said I could not.

So I am going to find it again and write down the points he said. He also spoke about Mary, how she is mentioned…her sinlessness…her going up to heaven…she mentioned but not Mohammed’s mother.

I just put a note in about what he learned in New Age Islam…a columnist who came across as benevolent.

I shared that Vatican II opened the doors to aggiornamento…and now it is time I asked, that Islam look again at Christ in the Quran…the Living Word of God through which the carnate world was made, who took away our slavery to make us children of God.

Islam needs to grow into seeing itself loved, inheritors of Divine Life, and the subsequent reality of seeing all humanity as brothers and sisters.

This is only a desperation move. I don’t think many Muslims of repute actually believe this.

MJ

There are many ways to reply to this ridiculous claim, but I’m going to post my favourite one that makes me laugh. :slight_smile:

Let’s say that it is about Muhammad; we certainly learn some new things about him. For example, apparently he loved his wine:

1 I came to my garden, my sister, my bride, I gathered my myrrh with my spice, I ate my honeycomb with my honey, I drank my wine with my milk. Eat, friends, drink, and be drunk with love!

The argument which again is ridiculous is based on the word in Hebrew mostly translated as “lovely” or “precious”.

16 His mouth is most sweet, and he is altogether desirable. This is my beloved and this is my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem.

The word “beloved” in Hebrew looks like it should be pronounced with the word "Ma-ha-mad. So let’s say it is about him, and find some other passages about him!

1 Kings 20:6 Nevertheless I will send my servants to you tomorrow about this time, and they shall search your house and the houses of your servants and lay hands on whatever pleases you and take it away. '"

The phrase here uses the same “Mah-mad” I hope Muhammad was okay when he was taken away with the women, children, gold and silver. :frowning:

Isaiah 64:11 Our holy and beautiful { Or b holy and glorious b } house, where our fathers praised you, has been burned by fire, and all our pleasant places have become ruins.

12 Will you restrain yourself at these things, O LORD? Will you keep silent, and afflict us so terribly?

ma·ḥă·mad· was destroyed in Isaiah!

2 Chron 36:19 And they burned the house of God and broke down the wall of Jerusalem and burned all its palaces with fire and destroyed all its precious vessels.

Ma-ha-mad gets destroyed again here!

Poor Mahamad :frowning:

(I’m posting from my phone so I can’t get them all, but I remember there being even funnier ones. But you get the point)

I think the idea of M being in the Scriptures appeared only on the 80s. 1980s!

MJ

Agree with Michael here…

It hurts to hear their claims…they discovered just about everything…everything except that all human beings are equal before God.

We have to turn the other cheek.

But it is there in the Quran which is pointing inherently to Christ as divine. Still don’t have time to listen to this particular You Tube…as it was taken down…to get the Suras and the points. will try later today.

Well, for one thing, it is (and was) a common name. For another thing, I think it was written hundreds of years before the Muslim Prophet appeared.
So even if it translates that way, it really is moot.

I have posted in a thread:

26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:
27 And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.
(John, Chapter 15, verses:26-27)

Interpretation of Comforter and Spirit of truth is “Periklitos” or “Paraklitus” in Greek gospels. Periklitos mean praised and Mohammed and Ahmad mean praised too in Arabic.

1. And remember, Jesus, the son of Mary, said: “O Children of Israel! I am the messenger of Allah (sent) to you, confirming the Taurát (Law) (which came) before me, and giving Glad Tidings of a Messenger to come after me, whose name shall be Ahmad.” But when he came to them with Clear Signs, they said, “This is evident sorcery!” (Quran, As-Saff, verse:6)

Except prophet Mohammed nobody have got that attributes. Jesus had said Periklitos will come and he is Mohammed.

7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and ofrighteousness, and of judgment:
9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;
10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bearthem now.
13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
(John, Chapter 16, verses:7-13)

After Jesus the prophet Mohammed came and confirmed Jesus. Jesus said ı will go because if I do not go Comforter(Periklitos) won’t come. “for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.” describe the way revelation came to Mohammed. Because Bible were revealed to Jesus in once and Torah were revealed to Moses in once on plates. But Gabriel brought revelation to Mohammed for a period of time about 23 years and Gabriel told Mohammed and prophet Mohammed spoke to Sahabas what He heard from Gabriel and sahabas wrote Quran. Jesus described how Mohammed would take revelation.

15 ¶If ye love me, keep my commandments.
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
(John, Chapter 14, verses:15-16)

Comforte(Periklitos(Mohammed)) will come and he may abide forever: There won’t be any other prophet after him.

30 Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of thisworld cometh, and hath nothing in me.
(John, Chapter 14. Verse:30)

Seyyidu’l-evvelîne ve’l-âhirîn( the prince of earliers and recents) is Mohammed.
107. We sent thee not, but as a Mercy for all creatures. (Quran, Al-Anbiyaa, verse:107)

2 And he said, The LORD came from Sinai, and rose up from Seir unto them; he shined forth from mount Paran, and he came with ten thousands of saints: from his right hand went a fiery law for them. (Deuteronomy, Chapter 33, verse: 2)

Mount Paran is Mecca because in Genesis chapter 21 it is said that Abraham took and left Hagar and Ishmael on mount Paran. Mecca is homeland of Ishmael and Mohammed descend from Ishmael.

18 I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speakunto them all that I shall command him.
19 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him.
(Deuteronomy, Chapter 18, verses: 18-19)

A prophet will raise from brethren of İsraels. İsraels are son of İsrael(Jacob). Jacob is son of Isaac. Isaac is stepbrother of Ishmael. Then the brethrenof Israels are son of Ishmael. Mohammed is generated from Ishmael. That prophet will raise is Mohammed.

I think it’s really fantastic when Muslims post this; because it shows that Islam doesn’t have a leg to stand on. Only the ignorant and the gullible would be fooled by what you have posted. But let’s get started:

“26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:
27 And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.”
(John, Chapter 15, verses:26-27)

Notice that Jesus says in the very passage you quoted that Jesus will send the helper. Are you saying that Jesus sent Muhammad? Isn’t that blasphemy?

Again, Jesus says that Jesus will send the Spirit of Truth in the passage you quoted. Do you believe this?

You forgot verse 17:" even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you."

You believe Muhammad dwelt with the Disciples and were inside the Disciples?

I’m glad you admit that because I’m going to show you a passage proving that the Helper is the Holy Spirit, and then you can become a Christian knowing that no one would come after the Holy Spirit. From chapter 14 that you quoted:
14:26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.

So there you have it; Jesus said the Helper is the Holy Spirit and therefore is not Muhammad. Let me know if you plan on being Baptized now. :slight_smile: I’ll be cheering you on, I promise.

I’m curious at some point if you will recant this claim because Jesus was speaking of Satan.

John 12:
31 Now is the judgment of this world; now will the ruler of this world be cast out.

John 14:
30 I will no longer talk much with you, for the ruler of this world is coming. He has no claim on me

John 16:
11 concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.

This is just a theory you made up. And even if Muhammad descends from Ishmael then what difference does it make?

Sorry, but Peter quoted this passage 2000 years before you. When did Muhammad quote this?

Acts 3:22 Moses said, 'The Lord God will raise up for you a prophet like me from your brothers. You shall listen to him in whatever he tells you.

23 And it shall be that every soul who does not listen to that prophet shall be destroyed from the people. ’

24 And all the prophets who have spoken, from Samuel and those who came after him, also proclaimed these days.

25 You are the sons of the prophets and of the covenant that God made with your fathers, saying to Abraham, 'And in your offspring shall all the families of the earth be blessed. ’

26 God, having raised up his servant, sent him to you first, to bless you by turning every one of you from your wickedness. "

Your interpretation of “Brother” is faulty. You should really give reading the Bible a try.

Deut 17:15 you may indeed set a king over you whom the LORD your God will choose. **One from among your brothers **you shall set as king over you. You may not put a foreigner over you, who is not your brother.

As we know, Saul (an Israelite) not a foreigner (an Ishmaelite) became king. Therefore your belief is refuted.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.