Muhammed said there is a jinn (devil) attached with every Muslim.

**Sahih Muslim, Book 039, Number 6757: **
Abdullah b. Mas’ud reported that Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: There is none amongst you with whom is not an attache from amongst the jinn (devil). They (the Companions) said: Allah’s Messenger, with you too? Thereupon he said: Yes, but Allah helps me against him and so I am safe from his hand and he does not command me but for good.
[RIGHT]صحيح مسلم:
قال رسول الله ‏ ‏صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ ‏ما منكم من أحد إلا وقد وكل به قرينه من الجن قالوا وإياك يا رسول الله قال وإياي إلا أن الله أعانني عليه فأسلم فلا يأمرني إلا بخير ‏
[/RIGHT]

(E) (A)

I brought this up because recently a Saudi family is trying to sue a jinn for theft and harassment as mentioned here.

he took it from Judaism.

Can’t this be seen the same way a christian may believe that all have sinned, all are sinners? I realize catholics believe Mary was preserved from it, but don’t Muslims also agree that Mary never sinned? I thought I read something about that in a list of common beliefs of christians and muslims.?

The reason they believe Mary is Immaculate is because they stole that belief from Christianity, just like they stole the belief that man has an angel and a devil attached to them from Judaism.

:slight_smile:

Well, that sure is interesting! I won’t be investigating Islam anytime soon.:thumbsup:

It’s kind of a stretch to connect the two. What you’re speaking of is our spiritual state in regards to wicked works that we do, whereas Mohammad is talking about little demons who are specifically assigned to us, like an assassin is assigned to a politician. Most patristics say the demons as a whole are out to get us, not necessarily one specific demon (outside of Satan, of course).

Hey Sam, I know there is jinn existance. But I also know that they can’t harm us because Allah told them not to do it. Or if some human being want to control jinn than he will come upon him and make that person insane. Thank you and as far as that hadiths i am not familiar with it.

A kind of plagriasm but with some modification to it make it look original. A dark aspect of Islamic practice - some Muslims do indulge in these demons for black magic purpose. I suppose maybe some of our Muslim friends can elaborate on this. :slight_smile:

So it is like the opposite of an angel/saint that a child has at birth watching over them?
IOW, it is the negative version of a catholic faith?

Islamic beliefs are based off Christian and Jewish legends and false gospels, so a lot of legends you hear - people have an angel and a demon, angels having wings, Jesus spoke as a child, Heaven is a garden-paradise, etc. - are considered fact and reality in Islam.

Slightly fixed. :smiley:

I tried to think about God letting demons attatch themselves to a person, and not angels or saints and I wondered what kind of God would wish such a thing on their creation.

Then I was happy I went to Mass today and decided right now, it was not something to worry about because I just don’t get the impression Jesus would leave people with demons attatched to them. Sin, yes. Not demons though.

Some Muslims would use these demons for black magic purpose. Maybe we have not heard about them but they are quite common in Muslim societies. The ‘good’ use for them are in the area of healing of diseases but sometimes jinns are used for something else - as spell or to harm others.

I have not heard Muslims in this forum talk about this but this practice is a reality among them.

And yes, it’s nothing like Jesus or Christianity.

It was just a legend, not Christian belief. But Islam takes it as a belief.

Demons do not attach to persons at birth, but they do attach themselves to people through mortal sin. By sinning, the person subjects himself to Satan. But this demonic power is broken at Confession, when the person gives God his sins, and He, in turn, gives the person His Mercy, which the demons cannot stand nor withstand and flee at once from the person. Demons do not actually touch the person, though, they just swarm around him like locusts. God wouldn’t allow them to touch His creature unless it was an exceptional case, like the case of St. Padre Pio who was physically abused by the devil in his home. These exceptional cases are used to aid the person attain great glory in Heaven, to reveal the reality of metaphysical evil to persons who do not believe (like some of Padre Pio’s friends), but we must not will these cases, just like we must not will private revelations, for this opens the door to demonic influence, like the case of a certain nun who made herself appear to be a saint but was actually obeying Satan who promised her fame and power. We can ask God for sufferings, so we can aid Him in saving souls, but we must not ask Him for means to great glory, because we must not be self-loving and because God alone can give us glory, and, moreover, we attain greater glory in Heaven through each Holy Communion than through sufferings or divine favors. For he who unites himself to Jesus will be ever more united to Him in Heaven.

I am getting confused here!

I thought it was pious belief that every child had a guardian angel or saint?
This is, I guess only a legend but, at least it tells me what people thought, negatively or positively.
This jin thing sounds very negative and dark. Like you don’t have a choice in the matter and are not able to get loose of this demon attatched?

I hope this makes sense to you, right now I am confused about the whole thing.:o

Sorry for confusing you :frowning:

Yes, every person has a guardian angel, but not an angel and a demon. That is legend. But the guardian angel is belief of Christianity.

To clarify on my last post: a Christian cannot receive Holy Communion out of a desire for glory because than he would be guilty of pride. But I just wanted to tell you the true source of heavenly glory, i.e., union with Jesus in Holy Communion.

That clears it up for me!:slight_smile:

This is hard for me to understand, but I keep trying to anyway. Just want to be clear so I dont end up objecting to something I dont even understand.

:slight_smile:

:confused: Do you have a Jewish source for that ?

:sad_yes:

Yes such practises are mentioned in (Quran 113:4):
From the mischief of those who practise secret Arts

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.