Mukhtaran Mai – woman gang-raped in Pakistan

Have you all read about Mukhtaran Mai, a woman who was gang-raped in Pakistan in 2002? A tribal jury ordered her raped by 14 men because her brother 912 at the time) was accused of having an affair with a woman from a rival tribe. I am just reading about this today because Pakistan refused to allow her to travel, and just lifted the ban. Last week, all her attackers were ordered free except one, who will be serving a live sentence (he was originally sentenced to death). It just leaves me speechless. Why do these women still have no rights; why are these acts, and acts such as honor killings, allowed to take place? Is there nothing the civilized world can do to stop this??

[quote=MooCowSteph]Have you all read about Mukhtaran Mai, a woman who was gang-raped in Pakistan in 2002? A tribal jury ordered her raped by 14 men because her brother 912 at the time) was accused of having an affair with a woman from a rival tribe. I am just reading about this today because Pakistan refused to allow her to travel, and just lifted the ban. Last week, all her attackers were ordered free except one, who will be serving a live sentence (he was originally sentenced to death). It just leaves me speechless. Why do these women still have no rights; why are these acts, and acts such as honor killings, allowed to take place? Is there nothing the civilized world can do to stop this??
[/quote]

The U.S. could encourage things like this stop, but then we’d be “imposing our ways of live on the rest of the world.” Don’t you just love politics?

PROBLEM: no source material/link for “news” item

ACTION: thread closed

Should you find a linkable news report on this item, let me know and I’ll reopen this thread with the link. Alternatively, you can start a new thread.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.