Multi-racial evangelicals issue letter blasting Trump's 'bigotry'

Link:
politico.com/story/2016/10/trump-evangelicals-letter-condemning-bigotry-229271

A group of more than 75 evangelical leaders released a statement Thursday declaring that the evangelical movement that is so often portrayed as backing Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump does not represent them.

The statement, posted Thursday to Change.org, charges the media with representing evangelical Americans as white, conservative, older men. Such a portrayal fails to recognize the wide array of Americans who identify as evangelical Christians, the group said.

“We are not those evangelicals,” the statement reads. “The media’s narrow labels of our community perpetuate stereotypes, ignore our diversity, and fail to accurately represent views expressed by the full body of evangelical Christians.”

In its statement, the group identifies itself as multi-racial with black, white, Asian, Hispanic and Native American members. Its members, both young and old, “come from a wide range of denominations, churches, and political orientations.”

The group’s statement, which was first reported by the New York Times, condemns Trump over a variety of his most controversial political moments, including his backing of the so-called “birther” movement and his labeling of Mexican immigrants as rapists and criminals. Citing the Gospel of Matthew, the group said Trump’s anti-immigration stances go against the teachings of Christianity.

The statement stopped short of offering an endorsement to Hillary Clinton, mentioning her only to say that she “is both supported and distrusted by a variety of Christian voters.” Instead, the group wrote that “we, undersigned evangelicals, simply will not tolerate the racial, religious, and gender bigotry that Donald Trump has consistently and deliberately fueled, no matter how else we choose to vote or not to vote.”

“We believe that racial bigotry has been a cornerstone of this campaign, it is a foundational matter of the gospel for us in this election, and not just another issue. This is not just a social problem, but a fundamental wrong,” it read. “We see this election as a significant teachable moment for our churches and our nation to bring about long-needed repentance from our racial sin.”

Interesting article; thanks for the link. I wonder how this pronouncement will affect the Evangelical vote overall.

I am happy to hear that this group is standing up against Trump’s bigotry.

This is why I was more of a Rubio gal. He might have been more appealing to conservative Christian diversity. (Though, that’s a hopeful wish.) But no, unfortunately the language surrounding immigration has been ceded to the left, and sometimes the left is actually correct that people on the right, when you come down to it, simply don’t want “foreigners,” legal or illegal. I’ve seen that vibe. And sometimes it manifests itself in statements of disgust that minorities are having so many children. This, coming from pro-life conservatives. And that’s why I think that as long as the right is given to accepting the un-Christian teaching of contraception and such, the left will continue to win. It’s a mentality unwelcoming to life.

However, the Left is just as guilty of not welcoming the stranger. While immigration has been ceded to the left, abortion has been ceded to the right. I wish the right realized that we would be less hypocritical if we weren’t stingy in welcoming of the stranger in the womb and the stranger from another nation. This applies vice-versa to the Left.

How exactly is Trump a bigot? I’ve seen no such evidence only bald assertions.

Didn’t he refer to undocumented Mexican immigrants as rapists? Isn’t that a blanket statement against all undocumented Mexican immigrants? Also, did he not say that Muslims should be banned from immigrating to the United States? How is that not bigotry?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.