Multiple Choice Poll: Do You Own/Read/Study the Catechism?

It was brought up in a discussion that every Catholic should have a copy of The Catechism of the Catholic Church, and I was intrigued by the idea of getting some details on this, so here goes.
The poll is multiple choice because there are so many questions. Please be sure to answer all that apply.**

Yes, I have at least 2 of the current edition, a Compendium Catechism, (right here on my comp in fact!), I read and study them from time to time and I use the online ones, especially the searchable one mercilessly when posting or researching something.

I have the Compact Catechism by Fr. John Hardon, and it too is very handy, and I also have The Little catechism of the Cure d’ Ars, which someone gave me and I have enjoyed it very much.

I’ve given a couple of catechisms to people who needed and wanted them and would do it again in a heartbeat.

I do think that most every Catholic, or at least family should have a copy.

I have the current Catechism and its compendium, as well as the Baltimore, Pius X, and trent catechisms.

I’m on that sbcorromeo site quite often, and have those catechisms mentioned above in e-reader format for my PDA as well :o

I use them to help triangulate (remember, always interpret in light of tradition!) a more exact meaning of something, when my understanding could be hazy from reading just one.

My primary use for them is refuting strawmen of what people claim Catholics believe.

I firmly believe every Catholic should own a catechism (The latest version seems to be more theologiclaly in-depth than the others. :thumbsup: ) as well as a missal and an approved translation of the bible with a decently-sized and orthodox commentary.

I’d like to get a few to give to people, but I’m not sure who I could give them to who either don’t already have one or will just throw it back at me. :frowning:

We were given copies of the Catechism of the Catholic Church in RCIA.

I read it about once a week. It’s best to take it in small gulps. It’s rather verbose and convoluted, and you really have to concentrate on it.

Our diocese is doing the “Why Catholic?” program, in which small groups read and study the Catechism. I think it’s supposed to take at least three years for us to get through all of it. This is an enjoyable way to study the Catechism. There is also quite a bit of Bible reading with this program.

Yes, I own the Compendium and I read through this in a couple of hours. It’s OK. But it doesn’t really have enough “meat” in it like the real Catechism.

I am working on writing some kind of study for Protestants of the Catechism. The Catechism counters so many wrong perceptions that Protestants have about Catholicism. I think it would be nice if there were a good summary, written for Protestants, of the various beliefs of the Catholic Church. Perhaps, I would call it something like You’re Kidding! Catholics Believe THAT?!

For example, there are several paragraphs in the CCC that make it clear that the Catholic Church teaches salvation through grace, not works. It would be nice if Catholics had all these paragraphs handy so that next time a Protestant accuses them of practicing a “works-based salvation,” they could open the Catechism and say, “Nope, we don’t teach that at all. We teach what’s in the Bible.”

yip,i have one,yip i read it and i think everybidy should too because there are so many occasions when your not sure of something and there it is in the chatechism with scriptual and apostolic(like letters and stuff) references.its just great.i would loive to have one from the council of trent too.i lent mine to a protestant friend the other day because it answers sooooo many questions

I definitely think every Catholic family should have one. With so many faiths out there, we need to be well versed in our own faith.

I find the SCBORROMEO site to be very useful when posting to more technical threads on this forum. :smiley:

I own a catechism and study it as much as possible. It is more important to me than my Bible. It’s not that the scriptures are unimportant, but it is a matter of fact that the Church produced the Bible; therefore it stands to reason that the catechism (and the documents it references) should be our number one priority.

I have a Catechism the book as well as the CD version. The CD Welcome to the Catholic Church includes the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

This CD also have Vatican II documents, Encyclicals…

I said that I read it, but to be plain I normally use the online version when I’m seeking an answer to a specific question. It’s just easier.

In response to your original post: yes, it’d be a good thing if every Catholic owned a copy, just as every Catholic should own a copy of the Bible – but neither one should become a mere dust magnet on the shelf.

Peace,
Dante

I have several copies of the current Catechism—a lovely leather-bound one from Easton Press, a small hardbound one, the paperback compendium. I also have (and link often to) an online version of the current Catechism. I own the wonderful “Welcome to the Catholic Church 4.0” CD, which has the previous Catechism as well.

I read the Catechism straight through when considering conversion—no better source on what the Church REALLY teaches exists. I blogged several detailed articles on Catholic position on political and social issues of the day (abortion, death penalty, etc) and will do several more. Whenever somebody on this forum claims the Catholic Church teaches something, I go straight to my Catechism to see what the truth of the matter is. No surprise that often such claims are contradicted by the Catechism.

Aside from clear understandings of what the Church teaches, the Catechism also has provided a useful window into the vast trove of documents produced by the Church. Since it’s extensively footnoted, I can hunt down the original sources and read them in their entirety. It’s certainly deepened my faith.

And since a hardbound copy is about $10 and the online version is free, there is really no excuse whatsoever for anyone who really has an interest in the Catholic Church not to become familiar with it.

It would certainly go a long way toward reducing the incidence of the outright fabrications about Church teaching we see from time to time.

As well as the history of the Church and a collection of the homilies of Pope John Paul II and Pope Benedict XVI.

All searchable and cross-referenced for quick research, which I love. It’s a great apologetics resource.

It’s easily accessible on the internet and I’ve read sizeable chunks of it.

I’m also studying it via Fr John Corapi’s brilliant series of lectures. Long, but very interesting, and covers the catechism from A to Z.

I’m reading parts of it, as a part of my RCIA class.

I have a copy of the Catechism although I am not Catholic. While I cannot accept everything, I have found some things of interest and use. In addition, it has helped me to better understand Catholicism even though I cannot accept all its doctrine.

not really fair since this is my job, and my main means of becoming qualified for the job was studying the CCC and passing a test. When I was being considered for the job, I made the CCC my subject for lectio divina in the year before I officially came on the payroll.

Every Confirmation and RCIA candidate gets a free CCC, as do the catechists and volunteers. Our pastor taught a fantastic class, still available on tape, when it came out, and it has been repeated in this parish and elsewhere. Our catechists are taught to read and reflect prayerfully on the catechism sections pertaining to their topic before doing their lesson plan. We also have CCC, in English and Spanish, for any parishioner who wants one, and they have been delivered to each family of the parish on at least two occasions.

our RCIA & Adult Confirmation class has just begun and is based on the new adult catechism, which is a terrific parish resource, and has study guides available from several sources.

I own, aside from what is in my office, many catechisms, compendiums and versions. I have almost as many catechisms as I do rosaries, and that is a lot.

I have the current Catechism, which I got from my priest about 6 years ago when he was doing an adult education program in my parish to study it. Now, I look things up frequently when I am responding to threads here on CAF. I also bookmarked the on-line version. I have also downloaded the Baltimore Catechism, and I bookmarked the Catechism of St. Pius X. I think all Catholics should own and study the Catechism.

I was given a copy years ago as part of my old friend Tim Gray’s effort to convert me to Catholicism. I have not read it all the way through, but I have browsed through it frequently and refer to it often (whether online or in hard copy).

Edwin

I don’t own any, but I know where to find them online. I like the CCC because it is so in depth and it provides footnotes to original sources–it’s definitely the most comprehensive of all the Catechisms out there. If I’m looking for something a little less huge, I like the Baltimore Catechism or even smaller yet, the Catechism of St. Pius X. The Roman Catechism (Catechism of Trent) is also good. My favorite catechism, however, is one written by St. Peter Canisius (Summe of Christian Doctrine) which is similar to the new Compendium, except it has a bit of an apologetic slant to it.

Speaking of Apologetics Catechism’s, this one from the 1800s is excellent–it tackles historical issues as well as doctrinal ones.

Another little known Catechism, the Douay Catechism from the 1600s, has a great explanation of the cermonies and symbolism in the Mass. (see Chapter 22).

is excellent–it tackles historical issues as well as doctrinal ones.You do realize that that is an SDA anti-Catholic site don’t you? Look at the bottom of that page. :dts:

There’s gotta be a better place to find that if Michael Scheifler found it. :rolleyes: I found it and replaced your link with the catholic one.

Another little known Catechism, the Douay Catechism from the 1600s, has a great explanation of the cermonies and symbolism in the Mass

. (see Chapter 22).This one looks pretty good though.

I know :blush: It used to be online on a Catholic site, but that site no longer works. The thing is, it is at that link in its entirety unabridged. That site, while anti-Catholic, does usually provide links to the other side of the story–I have to give him credit for that…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.