Multiple demons named, but no angels?

I was listening to a religious radio show very recently and the topic of angels and demons came up. Offhand, the radio personalities named at least a dozen or more demons. When it came to angels, they named just St. Michael and St. Gabriel. Later in the program, someone called in and said the names Barachiel and Jophiel. Immediately, a guest pastor on the show said to not invoke those angelic names as they were never mentioned in the Bible.

I suppose I’m just wondering how so many people can name/invoke/call upon demons, but mentioning an angel or archangel’s name is taboo??

Archangels Gabriel and Michael, are mentioned in the canonical Scriptures. Raphael is a named angel in the Deuterocanonical book of Tobit. The non-canonical Book of Enoch (cf. xxi) has Uriel, Raguel, Sariel, and Jerahmeel or in othere books, Izidkiel, Hanael, and Kepharel

I get that. But I suppose my question is, why are demonic names such a common thing, but angels are not?

I have wondered the same thing, as well as wondering how anyone even found out the demon names, and sometimes I have seen the ‘rank’ of demons listed, how in the world could anyone know this?

Something interesting to think about as well, if Satan lured 1/3 of the angels away, and its correct that every person that has ever lived has a guardian angel (a type of angel I suppose), there must be trillions of angels, Im assuming they all have names…?

Many authors speculated and also thought all pagan gods were demons.

Tobit is a part of the canon of Scripture.

This link also explains why the proper names of the other angels aren’t used.

The Sacred Scriptures have revealed the proper names of only three Angels, all of whom belong to the Choir of the Archangels. The names are well known to all, namely: Michael, Gabriel, Raphael. Ancient apocryphal literature of the Old Testament contains several other names of Archangels in addition to the three just mentioned. Like the sources themselves, these other names are spurious. Names like Uriel, Raguel, Sariel, and Jeremiel are not found in the canonical books of Sacred Scripture, but in the apocryphal book of Enoch, fourth book of Esdras,[1] and in rabbinical literature. The Church does not permit proper names of Angels that are not found in the canonical books of the Bible. All such names that were taken from apocryphal writings were rejected under Pope Zachary, in 745. There must have been danger of serious abuses in this regard during that century, because a similar step was taken in a synod held at Aix-la-Chapelle in 789

ewtn.com/library/mary/angel6.htm

Where is your avatar and picture?

Canonical includes protocanonical and deuterocanonical.

Interesting what Pope St. Zachary did.

Many demons have their names forced out of them during exorcisms. Since angels don’t need to be exorcised, we have no way of finding out their names except if they tell us. :slight_smile:

That ONLY applied to the Latin church, and for a specific reason. Byzantine Catholics and Eastern Orthodox Christians today venerate Sts. Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, Uriel, Selaphiel, Jegudiel, and Barachiel!. We do consider Sts. Uriel, Selaphiel, Jegudiel, and Barachiel, as both real Archangels and true Saints.

Remember that the heavenly angels are God’s humble servants. While demons may attempt to make a name for themselves, this would go against the nature of the angels. It is their deeds, not their names, that matter in the end.

One might suppose the angels are rather “self effacing” …

Their focus is the Glory of God

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.