Multiplication of the Loaves

In the Gospel of Matthew, Chapter 15 gives the account of Jesus multiplying the seven loaves and a few fish.
In the Gospel of Mark, Chapter 6 gives the account of Christ multiplying the five loaves and two fish.
In the Gospel of Luke, Chapter 9 gives the account of Jesus multiplying the five loaves and two fish.
In the Gospel of John, Chapter 6 gives the account of Christ multiplying the five barley loaves and two fish.
In Jesus’s Public Ministry, which Multiplication of the Loaves occurred first?
Jesus multiplies the seven loaves and a few fish OR
Jesus multiplies five loaves and two fish

The 5 loaves came first, as they were multiplied and distributed in the the land of Israel. This was to demonstrate that Jesus had come first to the Jews.

The 7 loaves came after, and were distributed in the Gentile lands called the Decapolis on the other side of the Sea of Galilee. In Scripture, the number seven represents completeness, and also in this case the seven nations of the Gentiles (everyone who was not Jewish).

In both of the multiplications, Christ was prefiguring the Eucharist. He was showing that His Body would be the nourishment of the entire world - for not only the Jews, but also the Gentiles.

Adding to the excellent post above, there are actually two multiplications in the Gospel of Matthew…

In Matthew 14, Jesus distributes five loaves to five thousand Jews representing the five books of the Law of Moses. There were twelve baskets left over representing the twelve tribes of Israel.

Again in Matthew 15 there were four thousand people when he multiplied the loaves for the Gentiles, representing the four corners of the earth and seven baskets left over representing the bringing of the Gentiles to completion or perfection.

But Jesus, aware of this, said, "O men of little faith, why do you discuss among yourselves the fact that you have no bread? Do you not yet perceive? Do you not remember the five loaves of the five thousand, and how many baskets you gathered? Or the seven loaves of the four thousand, and how many baskets you gathered? How is it that you fail to perceive that I did not speak about bread? (Matthew 16:8-11)

-Tim-

Phew! I thought this was going to be a “Stone Soup” thread!

Is there a resource that has a timeline of Jesus’ ministry compiled from the four Gospels?

That’s an interesting question.

And a key question if the historicity of the Jesus and Gospels is of interest to you.

I would recommend Hagan’s “Year of the Passover”.

He argues for a late crucifixion date- A.D. 36 to be exact.

The feeding of the five thousand came at the end of Jesus’ ministry in A.D. 35, after Herod Antipas had executed John the Baptist.

I’ll see if my library has it. Thank you!

I have no idea if they are Catholic but you can try here. If they are not Catholic then there is probably going to be a 450 year gap between Daniel and Jesus in the OT timelines.

bibletimelines.net/article/10/what-is-bibletimelines-com-all-about
amazingbibletimeline.com/

-Tim-

Christ_vincit and TimothyH, Thank you for the details about the Multiplication of the Loaves.:tiphat:

This is also true in Mark: 6:34-44 has the feeding of the five thousand with five loaves and two fish; in 7:24 he moves into Gentile areas, and in 8:1-9 he feeds the four thousand (seven loaves, and “a few fish”). Again, the feeding of Israel comes first, then the feeding of the Gentiles.

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.