Multiverse or Multiverses

I asked this question a long time ago and received some opinions. Are Catholics allowed to believe in a multiverse?
Does a multiverse contradict the Bible or our faith?

there isnt anything prohibiting anyone from believing in anything they want to believe in, worshiping something and believing in something are two different things.

people believe in aliens, bigfoot, magic, witchcraft, E.S.P an so on

The theory of a multiverse is just that a theory, same with string theory. nothing more or less, and it contradicts nothing.

Anyone else want to chime in?

To my knowledge, the Church has never commented on this possibility. Right now it is purely an unconfirmed hypothesis. I don’t see why it would necessarily conflict with the faith.

No, it doesn’t.

But it sometimes seems that the whole idea of a multiverse was just speculation on the part of those who don’t like the idea of everything beginning with the Big Bang.

Yes I agree with you. If the question is speculating in created realities ontologically different from our own then there is no contradiction with Catholic teaching. But some speculating on the multiverse theory comes from a place where an honest look at our universe points to a Creator which many have emotional problems with. This discomfort has helped form the multiverse theory to push the question of Creation further down the road perhaps unreachably so, thus saving the emotional crisis of scientific atheism.

Who do you agree with?JimG?

I think it’s a fascinating theory and one that I personally believe is more likely than not. I’ve experienced some really interesting things that make me think it’s at least very possible. I believe in it.

Allowed to believe? Yes.

We believe that God created everything that exists. If a multiverse exists, it shows God’s glory all the more.

Stephen Hawking declared that with the multiverse, we have no need of God the creator. He didn’t think it through. If our universe sprung from a multiiverse, then where did that multiverse come from?

“O Lord my God, when I in awesome wonder, Consider all the worlds thy hands have made, I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder, Thy power throughout the universe displayed”

As humanity progresses towards the End of Time, it’s only fitting that we have some idea about the limitless nature of God. He’s made countless separate universes and we’re just one little bubble! In the Age After Time I firmly believe we’ll not only explore our universe, but we’ll also go to other places. So be ready! There’s gonna be much to do :smiley:

As long as you agree that God created the multiverse there is no problem. But at the moment i’m not even sure its even a real hypothesis let alone a theory since it cannot be tested. At the moment its just a convenient idea for those who do not like the idea of all time and space beginning with the bigbang.

No. There’s a spiritual verse and a physical verse.

Colossians 1:16 For in him were created all things in heaven and on earth,
the visible and the invisible,
whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers;
all things were created through him and for him.

Look up Fr. Spitzer. He’s a brilliant man. A good and and solid priest AND he’s a Jesuit (who knew they existed :smirk: )

I heard him speak in person about multiverses. I don’t think there is anything wrong with believe in a multiverse or multiverses. The problem arises when you believe the creation of the universe is the continual creation of multiverses for ever and ever.

As long as you acknowledge God as the creator, I would believe you are free to subscribe to the multiverse(s) theory.

No, Catholics aren’t allowed to believe in a multiverse OR
No, the multiverse does not contradict the Bible and our faith?

No, the multiverse does not contradict the Bible and our faith?

Is that a question, statement, or typo?

Typo. Just a copy and paste gone wrong.
No, the multiverse does not contradict the Bible and our faith

Ok, thank you De-Maria,

This really isn’t true. The multiverse hypothesis actually grows out of string theory, and specifically out of an attempt to explain the relative weakness of gravity as compared to the other fundamental interactions. In this particular theory, the reason gravity is weaker is because some of the effect of the hypothetical gravity force carrying particle; the graviton, bleeds off into another dimension, a “brane”. Each brane would essentially encapsulate another universe.

In multiverse theories, branes can collide, and these collisions could cause “big bangs” like the one that fired up our universe. So really, it would be complimentary to Big Bang cosmology, or if true (a very big IF) it could explain the Big Bang.

Thank you. I don’t keep up with cosmology very well. I thought that M-theory or brane theory posited up to ten dimensions in our own universe; wasn’t aware that it had anything to do with the multiverse.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.